No boot to dvi...HDMI works

Will1901

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
Hey guys. For Christmas I received custom components to make my first mid range gaming computer. After putting them all together, I plugged it in through DVI into my old monitor and it would boot nor make any beeps. After using the checklist for troubleshooting on these boards, and nothing worked, I assumed I fried my motherboard while installing it. But before I gave up I tried using an HDMI cable and plugging the computer into my TV. It immediately showed the bios so I assume the motherboard just does not have a speaker, hence the no beeps. I am currently installing Windows onto my computer but I do not want to use my TV as my monitor, I want my old computer monitor. I tried using each of the two DVI ports on my videocard but neither would work, when plugging the cables in the power on the monitor would go on for a second but then it would not detect anything and would go to power saving. Any ideas as to what is going on?

Here are the components:

i3 3225 Ivy Bridge
Sapphire Vapor X Radeon HD 7770 OC Edition
Gigabyte ga-h61m-ds2
coolermaster extreme 500w psu
antec 300 case

popatim

Titan
well dvi comes in 3 forms. Analog only called DVI-A, digital only called DVI-D, and the third combines both analog and digital and is called DVI-I. Also your cable matters too, you cant use a dvi-a cable for a digital setup and you cant use a dvi-d cable for an analog setup.

Your card has one DVI-D port and one DVI-I port. Please make sure you connect to the dvi-i port using a dvi-i cable. Because you didn't list your monitor model for us to check what type it uses.

edit - you can go to the dvi wiki page to see what the connectors look like for the 3 formats.

RacingRapist

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
:eek: Thank you popatim, I didn't know there was DVI types, I will make sure my cable and ports have the same type. One of my friend told me that often, the HDMI port shares with one of the two DVI ports, so this may be way my setup isn't working.
Could this causes problem too?