No Bootable Device found when installing Windows on new HDD

Rabmac

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
Hi,

As I have been unable to fix a network issue on this laptop, I have decided to go for the nuclear option and do a full reinstall of Windows.

The laptop I have is an Acer Travel Mate 5744.

To prepare for the new installation of Windows 10, I have deleted all partitions on a spare HDD and formatted it so it is ready to take the Windows installation. I tried to disable secure boot but did not find the option in the BIOS. I have changed the boot sequence so the CDROM is the first boot device.

However, when I insert the installation disk and boot up the PC I just get the following message:

"No Bootable Device -- insert boot disk and press any key".

I have tried various boot disks (Windows 7, Windows 10 and even Ubuntu) but each time I get this message.

Was wondering if someone could help me with this problem.

Thanks

Secure boot keeps someone from booting to a device other than what windows was installed on.
Reinstall your original windows "C" drive.

I am not too familiar with windows 10, But, I think there is a way to deactivate secure boot through windows 10.

Google can help.

And... take this as an opportunity to convert to a ssd. It will make your laptop very much quicker.

Can you access the boot menu upon bootup via an appropriate keyboard key? If so, can you then select the MS OS installation DVD?

(Why did you mention something about an "(inability) to fix a network issue on this laptop"? Do you suspect this problem might have some bearing on your current problem?)

Rabmac

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
@Geofelt - I will give that a try after I finish imaging the old HDD and let you know how I get on. If that does not work I am going to try and put the image on the new HDD and try and do the install that way. The reason for this is that it is allowing me to boot from disk when I have the original HDD in the machine but I don't want to overwrite it just yet.

@ArtPog - I can only access the boot menu or the BIOS or Boot Menu if I have the original HDD in the machine. I only mentioned the network issue to give some background on why I am where I am, I doubt it is the cause of this current issue.

@ArtPog - I can only access the boot menu or the BIOS or Boot Menu if I have the original HDD in the machine. I only mentioned the network issue to give some background on why I am where I am, I doubt it is the cause of this current issue.[/quotemsg]

If I correctly understand you, your reference to the "original HDD in the machine" is NOT the disk you're planning to install the OS on? Is that correct?

You're indicating that if the OS installation DVD & the HDD on which you plan to install the OS are connected you are unable to access the boot menu upon bootup? I assume you've determined that HDD is non-defective, yes?

Mystroth

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
Hey Rabmac,

It sounds to me like you are having an issue with the UEFI bios vs legacy mode. Did your computer originally come with Windows 8? If you can boot to the bios, look to see what mode it is in and see if you can change it to legacy or non-UEFI. This should allow you to startup using any type of boot disk. Alternatively, to get your system to work in UEFI mode you will need to have a Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 bootable CD with the CD device set correctly and the boot order set appropriately as well.

Rabmac

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
The laptop shipped with Windows 7 and I could not find legacy mode in the BIOS. I did not run any health checks on the HDD but I was able to access the drive using a docking station and it also allowed me to copy the image of the old drive using Macrium Reflect.

As I was unable to find a solution, coupled with the fact that I have been dealing with issues since Saturday, I ended up getting impatient and just installed Windows 10 on the original HDD and took the chance that I ended up with a brick. Fortunately, everything worked out and it is running much faster and the internet is working.

Thanks to everyone for your input and trying to help.