No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key. Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Georgio96

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
Ok so when and turn my laptop on i immediately get this error message. (No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key) The laptop i have is a Packard Bell Easynote TK87. I dont have a boot disk and on multiple occasions have tried to download them and burn them to a disk but it never works so if you know an alternative solution then please can you help me.

Solution

Obviously you're going to have to use another computer to format the USB thumb drive.

Download your version of Windows HERE. Use your COA on the laptop to ACTIVATE.

Once the .iso is downloaded download the Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool HERE. And run the .exe.

Guide HERE.

During POST you're going to have to select the usb as boot device. Typically to open boot menu is F12

Good luck!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
This usually happens when the BIOS "forgets" (like a dead motherboard/BIOS battery) the drive configuration OR when the actual hard drive becomes corrupted or defective.

Check your BIOS and ensure the proper boot device is selected and enabled.

Georgio96

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
(Sorry im a noob in this area) I know how to access the BIOS but what should i do in the BIOS? (You will have to explain in detail as i am new to this sort of thing) :(

Georgio96

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
No, i had it repaired for a different error code a few months ago and they put in a new hard drive and reinstalled windows, so I didn't think i would face another HDD problem so soon...

COLGeek

Cybernaut

What else did they replace, if anything (other than the HDD)?

Georgio96

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
Nothing they did want to replace the graphics card but i told them not to because i was sure that they were trying to squeeze more money out of me and i was right when i got the laptop back the graphics card worked.

Georgio96

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
Ok, so i am now burning it to a disk i am using active ISO burner that will work right? And when it has burnt i should set my primary boot device to my CD drive correct?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Meaning it started to read the DVD and then failed. I am starting to wonder if the on-board SATA controller is the issue here since the DVD drive and the HDD are acting oddly.

If it were me, I would disassemble the system to make sure that the drive cables/connections were properly seated.

Do you have any other bootable CDs or DVDs that you have access to just to check out the optical drive?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You really need to take in the shop or to a very knowledgeable friend. This could be the motherboard, the DVD/HDD cables, or even a defective HDD. This really sounds like a physical issue that requires a physical exam and possible fix.

Sorry.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Without knowing the specific "fix" it is hard to say. At a minimum, you will pay for an hour of bench time (price for that varies from $50 USD to $100 USD) to disassemble and examine for loose connections.

Worst case could be replacement of the motherboard. If that is the case, it might be cheaper to get a new system.

Are you in the UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.