No BSOD but Kernel-Power error ID 41 event viewer causing random restarts

Omarathon

Reputable
May 7, 2015
Hello,
For the past couple of weeks, I've been having troubles with my pc. I've tried so much, and I really now have not a clue what is wrong with my pc.

So, the error is when I turn on my pc, sometimes it will turn black screen and restart constantly. However, sometimes (like yesterday and today) I can access and play on my pc, but it just randomly turns black and turns off. It's totally random too, for example yesterday I played games for 3 hours straight then it black screened, but today I turned it on and after ~5 mins it blackscreened.

I bought my graphics card accompanied by a 750W PSU a couple of months ago, so I suspect it wouldn't be these causing the issue.

What I have done to try (fail) to fix the problem so far:
- Done tests with memtest, no errors.
- Done all sorts of windows tests in cmd (can't remember all the commands off by heart but I'm sure I've done everything possible in cmd).
- Ran multiple CPU checks, all fine.
- Ran multiple hard drive checks, no errors at all.
- Cleaned out the inside of the computer completely.
- Reset CMOS.
- Ran a full virus check; 55 viruses all adware successfully removed.

My PC specs:
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
Processor: AMD A10-6800K APU 'with Radeon HD Graphics' (disabled onboard graphics) ~ 4.1GHz
RAM: 8192MB RAM ("Crucial" something)
Power supply: 750W cannot remember the name, but it works well.
Hard drive: Hitachi 1TB SATA (don't know the speed etc but it's great)

P.S: Sorry that the specs are quite vague, I'm not very good with names and things but the system worked fine ~a month ago.

Help please,
Kind regards,
Omarathon

Solution
no the better the motherboard the more protections it will have for overcurrent. Cheap motherboard just let the GPU burn up the pci/e slot. normally you just need to check all the connections to the GPU and make sure they provide proper power. If one is not connected or is on a power splitter then the GPU will try to get the needed power from the PCI/e slot and 75 it the Max by specifications.

John106

Reputable
May 4, 2015
Hi,

I have the exact same issue, My screens go black "no input" and my fans rev up real loud. I have to manually reboot the system.

I first experienced this whilst playing highly intensive games, however just now it did it after logging in and now I'm far too scared to power it on!

The events viewer I get the following;

Source:Kernel-Power
Event ID: 41
Level: Critical
User: SYSTEM
OpCode: Info
Task Category (63)
Keywords:(2)

So this is perhaps the same problem as you? If you could confirm that would be good!

I've done the following to prevent this happening, I recently got a new PSU and sent my GPU back for a warranty repair however manufacturer found no problems with it.

My Specs
CPU: AMD -8350
GPU: Radeon R9 290x
PSU: AX1500i
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990xa-UD3
RAM: 16GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance
SSD: Kingston 250GB
HDD: Toshiba 1TB

I cannot understand what is wrong with it. I'm too scared to boot it now as I don't want to do any long lasting damage or any further damage.

Memtest ran multiple passes without errors. Both GPU and CPU run hot whilst under-load, neither are OC'd however this problem happens whilst idle, so not sure if it's a heat problem.

Sorry I can't help - but I am in the same boat as you!

Thanks,
John

Omarathon

Reputable
May 7, 2015

Hi John,
It seems that you indeed do have relatively the same issue as me, although my PC automatically restarts. I believe this is some kind of setting in my motherboard that caused this.

I have realised that I have quite a cheap power supply for the voltage that it supplies, do you too? If so then this could potentially be the problem, but of course this may not be the problem.

I have the exact same general details as you, but please could you send all of your event log details in XML view?

Here's my event XML:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>2</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-05-07T16:17:36.532415800Z" />
<EventRecordID>147071</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Omar-Machine</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

If you also have the same as this please say... Then we may be having problems with our PSU's.

Kind regards,
Omarathon.

power event id 41 just indicates that your machine rebooted without a proper shutdown first.
It is produced and logged on the next startup of the system.

it allows the system to know to run certain diagnostics and to check your filesystem for errors. It is useful to help explain why your system is taking extra time to startup but not too useful as a diagnostic.

if I were to guess: our GPU overheated that caused it to pull too much power. The PSU told the motherboard the power was not ok and the motherboard reset the CPU. The CPU reset and your screen went blank because the power was not stable or the motherboard ignored the power_ok signal until you power cycled the machine again.

all you would be able to do would be to clean dust out of the fans, maybe run them at a higher speed or add more cooling. Or stop overclocking of the GPU or CPU.

I guess I would also make sure all of the power connectors from the PSU to the GPU are well connected. (not on an adapter/splitter)

John106

Reputable
May 4, 2015
Hi again,

I don't have a cheap PSU - Cost me £400. It's Titanium grade. Originally I thought this was a power problem, I used to have a Corsair CX 750W PSU, and I worked out that my Max Watt Draw was around 813W so I couldn't stay under load for long, but now i've upgraded to a 1500W PSU and I still have the same issue. So I'm fairly sure I can rule that out as the problem.

I can also rule out my GPU as not being the problem considering I sent it back to the manufacturer to get repaired and they said they could find no errors or performance issues with it.

So to me it seems like a cooling issue, however why am I experiencing it almost straight after boot when the components haven't even had a chance to warm up yet? This problem also happens whilst idle, when the temps are about 30°C. So perhaps not a temp problem? None the less I've just purchased a NZXT Kraken x61. Never had this problem for any build I have made for myself or others.

I can't upload my XML file right now as I don't have access to my desktop.

I don't think it's software either as all my drivers are up to date, I've also completely wiped my system and done a clean install however the issue persists. So I'm really not sure what it is... I'm taking it to the shop on Saturday, so If we don't figure it out by then I will update you with what they say!

Thanks,
John

power limits are imposed by the motherboard interface. for example if the PCI/e slot pulls more than 75 watts the motherboard might shut your system down by resetting the CPU. It does not matter how many watts the power supply can provide. The motherboard does this to protect the motherboard rather than let it burn up.

John106

Reputable
May 4, 2015

Hi there,

I see, so is this something I can prevent?

Thanks,
John

Omarathon

Reputable
May 7, 2015
Hi johnbl,

So, are you saying that my motherboard cannot support my current PSU? That seems quite reasonable, as it's a relatively small motherboard with PCIE 2. It wasn't very expensive, too.

I've had this motherboard for about 2 and a half years, so do you recommend for me to buy a new motherboard?

Thanks for the info,
Omarathon.

John106

Reputable
May 4, 2015
So I've been thinking about it for a while, and perhaps it is due to the BIOS. I did some reading @Omarathon and it seems that could be a possible cause. Here is an artical that could be of interest to you!

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1790471/gigabyte-990fxa-ud3-am3-work-8350.html

fortunately this is my motherboard and CPU, and there has been some incompatibility issues, however when updating the BIOS or even flashing it could prevent these issues.

I'm not saying that this is the cause, but something to consider if you haven't already!

Thanks,
-John

Omarathon

Reputable
May 7, 2015

Hi John,

Very helpful, thank you. Though unfortunately my motherboard isn't that build, it's this: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4364#ov - Gigabyte GA-F2A55M-DS2. This motherboard seems pretty great for my current build, however I think it's my power supply.

I'm almost certain it's the power supply - £20 for 750W? It just seems too good to be true.

Does anyone have any advice on reading the information on the sticker to determine whether the power supply is distributing power fairly through the motherboard? Help would be greatly appreciated, and I don't mind saying the details on the sticker if someone understands the information on PSU stickers.

Kind regards,
Omarathon.

no the better the motherboard the more protections it will have for overcurrent. Cheap motherboard just let the GPU burn up the pci/e slot. normally you just need to check all the connections to the GPU and make sure they provide proper power. If one is not connected or is on a power splitter then the GPU will try to get the needed power from the PCI/e slot and 75 it the Max by specifications.

Solution