Question No Computer until i can get this to work

aleksfox

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2015
Hey so I’m still trying to build my first PC, 9 hours in and it’s finally ready to go!!! Aaaand it doesn’t start, yeah, figures - issue is I’ve attached the power button to the front panel header in the configuration the manual claimed I should.. I sort at least expected… something. Any ideas?

I have triple checked, and it definitely has the plus and minus orientations correct

View: https://imgur.com/a/UfpEv2r

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
take the power button connection off and jump those 2 pins with something metal. if it starts, then you know the power button is bad. if it does not, then you know it is something else.

it's easy to miss something important the first few times you build a pc. go through the mobo manual from page 1 to the end and check each item it talks about as you get to it. this way you know you did not miss something. it's easy to do even if you've been building for 20+ years like i have.lol

aleksfox

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2015
take the power button connection off and jump those 2 pins with something metal. if it starts, then you know the power button is bad. if it does not, then you know it is something else.

it's easy to miss something important the first few times you build a pc. go through the mobo manual from page 1 to the end and check each item it talks about as you get to it. this way you know you did not miss something. it's easy to do even if you've been building for 20+ years like i have.lol

Do you mean like put a screwdriver to touch the 2 pins in question?

aleksfox

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2015
yup, that's exactly what i mean :)

only takes a second, just a quick touch of the pins

Well, assuming that was supposed to give the PC any sign of life, i suppose it's "something else" indeed, but i've read all 19 pages of the X570 Gaming manual over and over again, and i truly cannot spot where my problem lies

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
yah if the pc could start this would have sent the signal to it to start. so it must be something else.

every power connection is hooked up and correct? psu is actually turned on? (sounds dumb but some of them come turned off and need to be switched on).

do you get anything at all when trying to turn it on? a quick light or fan spin for a split second? or total DOA and nothing?

without having it in front of me i can only ask questions, so please bear with me :)

aleksfox

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2015
i havent look at manuals, but your front panel connector is connected to hd audio
and your front panel (on mainboard) is empty

Well the manual said that is where the audio jack went; and the front panel on the motherboard is the one in the bottom right; the LED is the 2 connectors to the top left of it, the Power Switch is the 2 next ones, and the 2 below is the Reset Switch; the rest is ment for Hard Drive LED, Chassis Intrusion, Power LED and Speaker; my case lacks some or all of those features bacuse there's nothing more to plug in, except the PMW Cable, which i never found where to connect, that was going to be the next step

aleksfox

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2015
yah if the pc could start this would have sent the signal to it to start. so it must be something else.

every power connection is hooked up and correct? psu is actually turned on? (sounds dumb but some of them come turned off and need to be switched on).

do you get anything at all when trying to turn it on? a quick light or fan spin for a split second? or total DOA and nothing?

without having it in front of me i can only ask questions, so please bear with me :)

Oh sir i'd rather say bear with me, i'm the total rookie trying to relay information i barely understand by text

Every power connection is hooked up; as in the ATX and the ATX12, as well as an additional one for 2 Hard drives
It is indeed in the - position, i also tried it in the O position just to be sure..

total DOA, it's as if its not connected to a power source at all

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
none of those really matter for the pc to boot up. they just control some lights and let's the power switch do its thing. if jumping the pins did not work, those connections are not the issue keeping it from starting.

at this point i would take it apart and remove everything except the cpu (with the cooler still installed) and a stick of ram. then see if it will boot. if so, then add the other ram. then the gpu. test at each step until you add a piece that does not let it start.

i know it kind of sucks, but that is what i would be doing if it was in front of me.

aleksfox

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2015
none of those really matter for the pc to boot up. they just control some lights and let's the power switch do its thing. if jumping the pins did not work, those connections are not the issue keeping it from starting.

at this point i would take it apart and remove everything except the cpu (with the cooler still installed) and a stick of ram. then see if it will boot. if so, then add the other ram. then the gpu. test at each step until you add a piece that does not let it start.

i know it kind of sucks, but that is what i would be doing if it was in front of me.

Well, holy god. especially since the CPU fan is a Noctua-15D which means for the ram to go, so must it...

I suppose at this point i will just call it quits and see if a workshop is open on monday that can take a look at it, 10 hours in and i have to say i admire those who do this as a hobby, but for me it's been one massive ordeal

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
that's really not a bad idea either. some of us do find this fun, lol but i can see where it can get out of control real fast.

taking it to a shop will probably get it running faster. they will have spare systems and can test the cpu with a different mobo and so on to be sure what is not working.

my only word of caution is to be very sure they KNOW a part does not work before replacing it. can get expensive just buying new parts hoping one of them fixes the problem. if they can't show you it working with a different cpu or gpu or ram or whatever, then i'd not spend money replacing a part.

bencos2018

Honorable
Jan 15, 2019
Hey so I’m still trying to build my first PC, 9 hours in and it’s finally ready to go!!! Aaaand it doesn’t start, yeah, figures - issue is I’ve attached the power button to the front panel header in the configuration the manual claimed I should.. I sort at least expected… something. Any ideas?

I have triple checked, and it definitely has the plus and minus orientations correct

View: https://imgur.com/a/UfpEv2r
did you ever manage to get it working btw
if you didn't check the gpu cables are in as in your picture they don't seem to be plugged in

TRENDING THREADS