[SOLVED] No difference in my PC's performance after changing the GPU. Lack of setups?

Felipe Felix

Honorable
Mar 11, 2015
I bought a Gforce RTX 2060 (6GB) to speed-up my PC (I used to have a 2GB Quadro), but I'm actually not seeing no difference in the performance. So I ran Speccy to check the computer's specs and I'm not really sure if my pc is recognizing the GPU's 6GB. Anyone here who can understand those data and tell me if there is something wrong with my configuration?

f5c1c0ecba266b77615c312e35dadab9.jpg

Solution: In my case, the ultimate solution was changing the refresh rate to a higher number. You will find these settings in the NVIDIA Control Panel under the "Change Resolution" tab.

Last edited:
It appears you still have the Nvidia Quadro driver installed.

I suggest reinstalling the old video card and uninstalling the software from the add/remove programs section of the Windows Control Panel. Restart PC. Shut down PC.

Replace video card with RTX 2060. (500 watt or greater power supply required)

Download the driver package from Nvidia for the new video card. (You can do this in advance)
https://www.geforce.com/drivers

Install the new driver package.

Felipe Felix

Honorable
Mar 11, 2015
Are you using two monitors? What ports are you using on the gpu? Did you update the Nvidia graphics drivers? Did you enable pcie x16 3.0 in your bios?

Yes, and I am using the HDMI port for the GPU.
I thought that by installing the Gforce Experience app it would update my drivers automatically.
I'll try and reinstall the drivers.

Btw, how can I check if the bios has pciex16 enabled in it?

Also, I am using a RM650x PSU.

So you are at pcie16x 3.0 so no need to look in bios. Ok to get things going, go in to your Nvidia control panel, 3d settings, and hit the restore button under the box of settings. Apply and see how things feel and look. You can play with the settings from there to personal taste.
Also make sure the resolution and frequency match in the resolution section in Nvidia control panel to your monitors settings.

Felipe Felix

Honorable
Mar 11, 2015
So you are at pcie16x 3.0 so no need to look in bios. Ok to get things going, go in to your Nvidia control panel, 3d settings, and hit the restore button under the box of settings. Apply and see how things feel and look. You can play with the settings from there to personal taste.
Also make sure the resolution and frequency match in the resolution section in Nvidia control panel to your monitors settings.

Thank you for all the support.

I reset 3d settings but really didn't feel anything different. Actually I'm not sure how different would it become since I changed the GPU, but I was expecting some changes.

As you mentioned about my RAM, they are pretty general. Can't even tell what are their brands.

-2x8 GB Dual-Channel RAM @ 1065MHz is all I know about them.

Do you think they might be the problem?

Felipe Felix

Honorable
Mar 11, 2015
Ah, lol. Well, Speccy isn't perfect I suppose. So is your performance better with the driver update? If not, what are you using to measure "performance"?

Oh right, I should have been more specific from the beginning.
I'm measuring performance here by the time it took to do some actions in Photoshop.
It's pretty much the same experience I had when I was using my Quadro back then.

Ever consider that Photoshop is using your CPU and not you video card? Final rendering uses the CPU, not the video card:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/Phot...e-not-using-GPU-for-3D-rendering/td-p/9928782
Excellent point, I never thought to ask performance improvement in what. I assumed, incorrectly, that we were talking about video performance. Having said that I would look in to upgrading your memory. For the life of me I cant remember seeing 1000mhz memory for ddr4 cpu. Perhaps it means 2100mhz? Download cpuid, go to memory tab and post what it shows if you would.

Felipe Felix

Honorable
Mar 11, 2015
Ever consider that Photoshop is using your CPU and not you video card? Final rendering uses the CPU, not the video card:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/Phot...e-not-using-GPU-for-3D-rendering/td-p/9928782

Actually I saw some Youtube videos about Photoshop Performance Settings and by unchecking the usage of the GPU I got the god damn thing to work again LOL

083077b15f46319edebbd7aa4362d1fa.jpg

It's really strange since thats suppose to be a default setting, I guess.
Thanks for pointing the problem in Photoshop!

I might also change my memories sometime..
Anyways I took a screenshot from cpuid with the generic ones I am using here:

5bb319a42e0eb3d64f3ed321e0df52e7.jpg

Felipe Felix

Honorable
Mar 11, 2015
Yes so your memory is 2100mhz so that is ok. Ram is so cheap again 3000/3200mhz would be a nice upgrade from 2100mhz.

Btw, I was checking my motherboard's specifications and it says:
4 x DIMM, Max. 64GB, DDR4 2133 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory
  • The maximum memory frequency supported varies by processor.
  • Due to Intel® chipset limitation, DDR4 2133 MHz and higher memory modules on XMP mode will run at the maximum transfer rate of DDR4 2133 Mhz.

I am not really sure if any DDR4 will be compatible so, after checking on the internet I found these Crucial RAM PC4-19200(DDR4-2400) 16GBx2. Do you think those will be supported by my motherboard?

Btw, I was checking my motherboard's specifications and it says:

I am not really sure if any DDR4 will be compatible so, after checking on the internet I found these Crucial RAM PC4-19200(DDR4-2400) 16GBx2. Do you think those will be supported by my motherboard?
To be honest 2400mhz is not much of an improvement from 2100mhz. I was saying you may be better with faster memory, 3000-3200mhz at 16gb to use with photoshop. Not more memory at around the same speed.

Felipe Felix

Honorable
Mar 11, 2015
Not sure I follow. You have 16 GB of RAM. What's the problem?

Actually, after deactivating the GPU featured on Photoshop, I noticed a clear (positive) change in the performance but, since I was only doing minor changes and saving the files, I could not notice the real effect of this action. After closing PS and opening it again, all the trouble started again. In fact, after deactivating GPU, PS told me that GPU was necessary for the task I was executing but I ignored it and continued at first, but now I understand better the situation. Even if you're not working with 3D in PS, there is a bunch of tools that need GPU to work properly, like artboards - which I was using. So, yep I have 16GB of RAM but I'm quite desperate to see this thing moving faster 😓 (not sure if I'll achieve it by increasing ram power tho).. I might split my PS file in smaller ones so I can work faster.

To be honest 2400mhz is not much of an improvement from 2100mhz. I was saying you may be better with faster memory, 3000-3200mhz at 16gb to use with photoshop. Not more memory at around the same speed.

Would it be compatible with my motherboard just by the fact it is a DDR4 or should I care about some other specifications? As it is described in Asus' website, the motherboard's ram is "Max. 64GB, DDR4 2133 MHz", so I thought that something greater wouldn't work.