Question No display after installing new GPU, everything still seems to work with the old GPU

Sep 1, 2022
Hi, i just bought a new GPU to upgrade my old gaming PC i made in 2014. I basically replaced my gt 1030 with a GTX 1050ti (both cards draw power from the motherboard, not from psu cabels) but when i turn it on all fans will spin but i won't get any display. Also, my mouse and keyboard won't light up and I'm not having any beep codes going off (but the usual start up beep isnt going off) ... it just runs but with no display being detected. if i put the old gt 1030 back everything works as normal.

Here is what i've tried so far:

i reseated the GPU and the ram
i used DDU to remove all old drivers and reinstall fresh ones
i tried multiple HDMI cables and the DVI cable (ofc made sure my monitor was set to the right imput)
i removed the CMOS battery for 5 minutes

PC specs:
AMD FX-8350 4.ghz
16GB ram
GPU gt 1030/gtx 1050ti
motherboard asrock 980de3/u3s3
powersupply ARGUS APS-720watt

So far no luck, everything turns on and the fans are spinning but no display input. i honestly dont know what else i can try.

important side note:

i got it in a badly damaged box today which was clearly taped back together, the box the GPU came in was looking intact and was wrapped in bubble wrap. Something in transport happened to the box, but I'm not sure if that could cause these problems.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
repeating the question again. Was the GPU brand new or used?

you did not need to remove old drivers if your old gpu is a 1030. I know because, my previous gpu is a 1030 and pc upgraded just fine to a 1050ti - backup pc in my sig.

Sep 1, 2022
repeating the question again. Was the GPU brand new or used?

you did not need to remove old drivers if your old gpu is a 1030. I know because, my previous gpu is a 1030 and pc upgraded just fine to a 1050ti - backup pc in my sig.
it was brand new, and i know i didn't have have to remove the drivers but people recommended me to give it a try.

Sep 1, 2022
Then it's still under warranty, return it.
I will, I'm just trying to do some troubleshooting before I do. I know I can probably get a replacement, but what if I end up with the same issues again. And i don't have another PC to test the GPU on. Also since the box was so well packaged i figure the damage during transport might not be the cause of this problem, but it definitely could.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
you did multiple troubleshooting attempts already.

when I got my 1050ti. Turned off the pc, got the GT 1030 out. Put the 1050ti in and attached the DVI cable to it. Turned on the pc, installed nvidia drivers (no need to remove old nvidia drivers). And it works fine, that's all. I did not need to do those things you did on the first post.

if your old 1030 works fine, that just shows your new card is possibly bricked.

Sep 1, 2022
you did multiple troubleshooting attempts already.

when I got my 1050ti. Turned off the pc, got the GT 1030 out. Put the 1050ti in and attached the DVI cable to it. Turned on the pc, installed nvidia drivers (no need to remove old nvidia drivers). And it works fine, that's all. I did not need to do those things you did on the first post.

if your old 1030 works fine, that just shows your new card is possibly bricked.
Thank you, you are right, I've probably tried everything I could. I just wanted to make sure it couldn't be anything else because I'm not in the mood for the lengthy process of trying to get a replacement for it. One last quick question, I'm assuming the both your gt 1030 and 1050ti draw their power from the motherboard, right ? I was wondering if it could be a power issue caused by the motherboard because the 1050 uses a little bit more of power compared to the 1030 or shouldn't that pose a problem ?

Sep 1, 2022
little update: i went to return it and they did some more troubleshooting for me, answer i got was that the Asrock 980DE3/U3S3 motherboard i have its pci slot doesnt support the card. weird, the GTX 1050ti is a PCI-e 3.0 x16 and the motherboard is a PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot (PCIE3 @ x16 mode) .... 3.0 is backwards compatible with 2.0 right ? anyways they told me any new card wouldnt work.

Edit: newer GTX gpu's require UEFI. This motherboard uses legacy, not UEFI. there are GPU's with switchable vbios that should work.

Last edited:

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
little update: i went to return it and they did some more troubleshooting for me, answer i got was that the Asrock 980DE3/U3S3 motherboard i have its pci slot doesnt support the card. weird, the GTX 1050ti is a PCI-e 3.0 x16 and the motherboard is a PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot (PCIE3 @ x16 mode) .... 3.0 is backwards compatible with 2.0 right ? anyways they told me any new card wouldnt work.

1050ti not compatible with pcie 2.0? That's rubbish.

my GTX 1050ti is in pcie 2.0 mobo actually. Look at "Bus interface" in this gpu-z screenshot.

and you can see here in the CPU-z screenshot that my motherboard is old, and use pcie 2.0

this should be enough proof already that a 1050ti would work with pcie 2.0.

Last edited:

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021

Edit: newer GTX gpu's require UEFI. This motherboard uses legacy, not UEFI. there are GPU's with switchable vbios that should work.

my board is legacy, Please look at BIOS Mode

and the 1050ti works with it just fine.

Sep 1, 2022
That's what I did today, they tested the card in another system, and it worked. Then they told me it wasn't compatible and I ended up getting a refund. With that info I jumped back on here and started a new thread asking to clear things up a bit (I'd like to link u the new thread but idk how that works on here) apparently even tho pci is backwards compatible to 1.1 it's brand specific if a card is equipped with switchable vbios which many brands decided isn't no longer worth it. Did some more digging, and I've been given a little list with brands that should have switchable vbios. I thought this was the solution, but I was wrong, you are right that 1050ti should work because it's the right brand.

Went through a bunch of forums to figure out which cards work and which don't, couldn't really get a clear answer. There are plenty of people that have/had this same issue and from what I've read you kinda just have to try a bunch of cards until u find one that works. I'm sure there is a solution to this, i just can't seem to find it.

edit: would u mind telling me the specific GTX 1050ti and 1650 you got ?

Last edited:

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
first of all. Glad to know you have been refunded.

What specific GTX 1050ti and GTX 1650 that I have? Sure, here they are.

took pics of the boxes, so you know exactly what I got.

they're not much, but they do help me play many ps4 games without lag at 1080p.
worked hard and saved up money for months to be able to have them, gpu prices are not kind to the common man (lol). :)

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2022
first of all. Glad to know you have been refunded.

What specific GTX 1050ti and GTX 1650 that I have? Sure, here they are.

took pics of the boxes, so you know exactly what I got.

they're not much, but they do help me play many ps4 games without lag at 1080p.
worked hard and saved up money for months to be able to have them, gpu prices are not kind to the common man (lol). :)
thank you so much ! cant really find your post where u talked about having a 1650, but u were running that 1650 is legacy too right ? Cant find that 1050 for sale over here, but i did find the 1650 so il probably be picking that one up.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
@Fnzy

I deleted talking about 1650, so as not to confuse the thread. Since our topic is 1050ti, but since you asked.. here's the info again.

you can see see here in GPU-Z, the 1650 is using pcie 1.1. It's a Legacy mobo

____

oh, and you found exactly my 1650? If you're going to buy one, then it will help you play many ps4 games. hehe

just one last reminder. The 1650 likes hdmi... I suggest using hdmi cable if your monitor supports it.

Sep 1, 2022
tnx for the extra clarification and the tips, im already using hdmi so i should be good! Not sure what u mean with playing PS4 games, im going to look into it since u sparked some intrested mentioning it.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
oh, what I mean is.. I mostly use the 1650 to run games from the Playstation 4.. for example Tekken 7, Guilty Gear Strive. I've also used it to run Playstation 5 game like the recently released DNF Duel.. and the 1650 can run the game on Ultra settings with no lag.

it's about twice as strong as a GT 1030, the GTX 1650 should give you a more enjoyable experience playing popular games like Overwatch, and Rocket League.

Last edited: