No display (followed sticky post already)

Apr 13, 2018
It's my first build in over 10yrs. So I'm extra rusty.

Using an A STOCK 960 M with an AMD FX 4 core processor and a Raedeon HD 5830. Recently I've reseated the processor, psu, and moved the RAM from the closest socket to the furthest. When powered on all fans work. (There's four of we count the cpu fan) The machine comes on but there is no display. The monitor says there is no connection. The gpu fan runs but there are no lights to speak of. I don't have access to a voltage meter. What next steps do I take to address the problem?

Solution
The usual suspects are PSU, RAM, GPU, CPU - and arguably in that order. If you can't test the PSU voltages, then try removing/disconnecting all fans (except for CPU), all drives (including HDD/SSD), and front panel. Basically, you want as little load as possible on the PAY. Failing to render a display after this, it is likely your PSU is bad. You can take this a step further to be more thorough, and take everything out of the case, and then rebuild, using only one DIMM, PSU, and if your board has it, the integrated display adapter. If your board doesn't, the use the GPU.
What do you mean by "there are no lights to speak of"? Might sound silly, but it's easy to overlook simple things like proper display source (VGA, DVI, DP, HDMI) - and if you're using an adapter, you select the style of connection going into the monitor. Also, try a different cable and/or different type of connection to monitor.

Apr 13, 2018
I'm sorry, I mean no lights on the gpu. It doesn't have any. I've been scouring the net for possible solutions and checking the gpu for lights to assure that it's receiving power was on the list. I haven't check a different monitor as I don't currently have one to swap with.

I'm gonna check using an hdmi cable and a laptop. This evening or tomorrow after I get in. Have to wrestle the laptop from it's owner.

Apr 13, 2018
I know it's been a while since I asked but my results since being told of testing with a different monitor are no improvement. I've tried two different monitors as well as using a laptop as a secondary monitor via hdmi cable. Nothing.

I've reseated my gpu and tried again. No video. The monitor is not receiving a signal. Could the gpu be bad? I'm exasperated.

The usual suspects are PSU, RAM, GPU, CPU - and arguably in that order. If you can't test the PSU voltages, then try removing/disconnecting all fans (except for CPU), all drives (including HDD/SSD), and front panel. Basically, you want as little load as possible on the PAY. Failing to render a display after this, it is likely your PSU is bad. You can take this a step further to be more thorough, and take everything out of the case, and then rebuild, using only one DIMM, PSU, and if your board has it, the integrated display adapter. If your board doesn't, the use the GPU.

Solution