Question No display issue after CMOS reset and flashing BIOs following install of new CPU.

Nov 28, 2022
I just got a new case along with the AMD 5800x3d and Deepcool ak620 cooler. Before I tore down my old PC set up, I made sure to update the BIOs using MFlash to the latest version to support the new CPU. Then I moved everything to the new case.

I had success powering on and booting, the only weird thing I noticed is it was going straight to the Windows login screen, skipping the BIOs splash screen and such.. I was able to use Discord, Chrome and play a little Minecraft. Checked CPU temps and they were around 40-60c.

Since I wanted to get into the BIOs menu to check that my cooler had the right settings, I started troubleshooting why it would not enter the BIOs. I tried a couple ways but no success as it kept going straight to the login screen.

Finally I tried a CMOS reset. After doing this I was now just getting a black screen... Troubleshot this and eventually decided to update the BIOs using the Flash Button and formatted USB. Still just a black screen.

I've tried multiple times and in multiple ways doing the CMOs reset and doing a BIOs update using a USB. I checked all the component cables and tried using HDMI instead of DP and even using another GPU and did some power cycles. No luck.

A couple things I see currently; the CPU debug light is on, the case power button does not light up anymore, and when I switch the PSU off and hold the power button it doesn't pulse the remaining power out like usual.

Build:
Case - Corsair 4000D Airflow
MOBO - MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
CPU - AMD 5800X3D
GPU - Nvidia GTX 970
PSU - EVGA 750W B2
RAM - GSkill DDR4 3200 8GB x 2

This is my first post here so hope its clear enough. Of course I can provide more context where needed.

Last edited:
Have you checked windows to make sure fast start is not enabled? Also have you tried getting into bios screen pressing delete key when starting pc? IF you can get into bios that way or with advanced startup in windows through recovery, check to see if fast/quick start up is enabled in bios.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2022
Have you checked windows to make sure fast start is not enabled? Also have you tried getting into bios screen pressing delete key when starting pc? IF you can get into bios that way or with advanced startup in windows through recovery, check to see if fast/quick start up is enabled in bios.

Yes I checked that and disabled the Fast Start before while I was still getting a display signal. The issue is I'm not getting a signal whatsoever now.

Nov 28, 2022
I just took off the cooler and inspected the CPU. No bent pins, no thermal paste spilling over, and seated in correct orientation in socket.

Fingers crossed I wont need a new mobo 😬

Yes I checked that and disabled the Fast Start before while I was still getting a display signal. The issue is I'm not getting a signal whatsoever now.
I didn't realize you were totally dark now. I read it as just not being able to get to bios page, but windows worked. Since you transferred the motherboard to a new case were the stand offs installed for the motherboard? If they were I would examine your motherboard very closely for any scratches that may have occurred. Have you double checked the power button cable is on the pins correctly?

Nov 28, 2022
I didn't realize you were totally dark now. I read it as just not being able to get to bios page, but windows worked. Since you transferred the motherboard to a new case were the stand offs installed for the motherboard? If they were I would examine your motherboard very closely for any scratches that may have occurred. Have you double checked the power button cable is on the pins correctly?

The case I got has preinstalled stand offs; I'll take if off later to check the underside for scratches but I felt I was careful enough while installing to new case. One thing was for a couple days I had it resting directly on a metal panel... but it was not connected to any power and before removing from the old case I did drain the remaining power. Not sure if that could have caused an issue.

Keep in mind that the PC booted up fine to windows multiple times. It wasn't until I did a CMOS reset that I started to get no display signal.

As for the power button, it does work fine to turn on and off the PC it just doesn't light up anymore. I heard this may be something I can fix once I can access the bios menu.

Other thing about when I did a flash bios update with a USB, it was with a USB 2.0 64gb stick which I read here and there that high capacity USBs might cause issues. That it should be 32 or 16 or under. I tried again with a 2.0 2gb USB but it did not work as the update light only flashed 3 times instead of 5-10 mins like usual. I mean the 64gb USB looked like it works as it flashes for 5-10mins but I have not got a signal yet.

That is alot of bios flashing. Which bios version did you use? The same one each attempt? Did you follow these instructions for flash bios? : Updating BIOS with Flash BIOS Button Before updating: Please download the latest BIOS file that matches your motherboard model from MSI® website and rename the BIOS file to MSI.ROM. And then, save the MSI.ROM file to the root of USB flash drive. Important Only the FAT32 format USB flash drive supports updating BIOS by Flash BIOS Button. 1. Connect power supply to CPU_PWR1 and ATX_PWR1. (No other components are necessary but power supply.) 2. Plug the USB flash drive that contains the MSI.ROM file into the Flash BIOS Port on rear I/O panel. 3. Press the Flash BIOS Button to flash BIOS, and the LED next to the button starts flashing. 4. After the flashing BIOS process is 100% completed, the LED would be off simultaneously.

Last edited: