Question No display on monitor with GPU in PCIe x16 slot, but no problem in x8 slot ?

dforrest

Honorable
Jan 31, 2018
I have part of the problem covered by the ""No POST", "system won't boot", and "no video output" troubleshooting checklist" thread.

I have a GTX 1070 graphics card on a Gigabyte Z370XP SLI motherboard. The graphics card has been working for months in the PCIe 16x slot. Suddenly, when I start the computer, the EVGA backlit logo is no longer lit and the card fan no longer runs. The monitor receives no signal. I am sure that the POST has completed, with the normal single beep, and from the case fans and other sounds, I am sure that Window has started, but with no monitor display.

If I remove the same graphics card from the x16 slot and install it in the x8 slot, all works perfectly.

Can anyone help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Depending on what bios version you are currently running you can try to update the bios and see if the x16 comes back to life. Bios f4 actually addresses a vga issue. You may luck out, but it does (as you already know) look like the x16 slot has died.

Last edited:

dforrest

Honorable
Jan 31, 2018
BIOS replacement appears not to resolve the problem.

In the past, when I had problems with USB ports, I would remove these in Device Manager and they were corrected and replaced when I re-booted. Can I do this with the problem PSIe slot by removing its Device Manager entry?

TRENDING THREADS