Sep 7, 2019
Hello everyone I'm Nick,

I built a pc last night:
RTX 2070
Ryzen 3600X
Aorus B450 Pro
EVGA 750 GQ Gold
WD 500GB M.2 SSD

Everything is lighting and turning on when powered on but I have no display on my screen, nor can I access bios.

Here are some pics and if you still don't have a clue of what I've done wrong feel free to ask me anything it's driving me crazy.

pics: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=13L-V1H4mojkTXcGWxCb2fxEupfckSgQF

Last edited:
Solution
Hello guys, so it was indeed the mobo update, be careful with whom you do business with...
Glad to hear it was that after all though!
Might I ask who the reseller was?

Also once you're happy, just remember to select a best answer (in my signature below) so that others visiting the forum can see the solution.

nicksandeimer

Prominent
Sep 7, 2019
The mobo is supposed to be updated but I'm starting to think that it's not the case...
I mean it's more plausible than an extra standoff, which would be like hell to get off.

How can I update the B450 bios without accessing it with an older cpu?

Last question I never used thermal paste before, can I remove it freely from the cpu?

pics: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=13L-V1H4mojkTXcGWxCb2fxEupfckSgQF

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
It can be removed using Isoprop alcohol and a cloth/roll.
You'd have to reapply new paste afterwards.

Should the reseller have updated the BIOS or is it marked as out of the box ready>?
have you covered everything in the guide or are you currently going through the process?

nicksandeimer

Prominent
Sep 7, 2019
damn I knew my cpu was kind of sealed

Yes I read every steps and my 2 unsure options are mobo and stands off.
Edit: sorry forgot that one; the box wasn't plastic sealed and the retail said it was 3000 ready.

So first I want to try and flash the bios update without pulling out the whole thing, I took a cheap case that works just fine but I kinda had to "force" the mobo in.
How can I do that? I thought I saw a video about it couple days ago but can't seem to find it again.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
damn I knew my cpu was kind of sealed

Yes I read every steps and my 2 unsure options are mobo and stands off.
Edit: sorry forgot that one; the box wasn't plastic sealed and the retail said it was 3000 ready.

So first I want to try and flash the bios update without pulling out the whole thing, I took a cheap case that works just fine but I kinda had to "force" the modo in.
How can I do that? I thought I saw a video about it couple days ago but can't seem to find it again.
If the seller was supposed to have updated BIOS, you may not need to, as BIOS updates can go wrong. Although your board has dual BIOS.
Instructions to do so will be on the manufacturers website or manual.

BIOS: https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-PRO-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios
You need at least F40 for the 3600X - but you may want to confirm if the motherboard shipped with latest BIOS first.

BIOS update instructions should be in your motherboard manual. Whether you can do it without a signal however on that board, I do not know - but I don't think you can.

Aug 28, 2019
Begin by restarting your system. Press the power button for a few seconds until the system reboots. Most motherboards power-on self-test (POST) or beep when there's a booting issue. If that is the case, refer to the motherboard manual to interpret.

nicksandeimer

Prominent
Sep 7, 2019
Reset button and long press power button does nothing

I built this after a rough work week and until 3am so I'm starting to doubt if I put the cpu the right way, should I remove the cpu before updating the mobo? I'm pretty sure it's not updated tho (rev 1.0, as cheap as it was I'm sure I got early builds)

What do you suggest the most?
-buy a system speaker?
-sacrifice thermal paste and double check the cpu direction?
-flash bios?
-remove the extra standoff?

EDIT: omg I'm reading the entire mobo guide again and I missed the status leds, one's red it's the DRAM one wth

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador

I built this after a rough work week and until 3am so I'm starting to doubt if I put the cpu the right way, should I remove the cpu before updating the mobo? I'm pretty sure it's not updated tho (rev 1.0, as cheap as it was I'm sure I got early builds)

-buy a system speaker?
-flash bios?
The CPU can only go in one way as the grooves will seat it appropriately, however if it was put in the wrong way, the pins can become damaged.

A system speaker will certainly help identify the issue.
I would be going through EVERYTHING in the guide I posted first - and also remove the additional standoff if it isn't necessary, if it is actually securing the MB normally, then leave it.

Obviously you'll need to reapply thermal paste before reinstallation if you remove the cooler.

Aug 28, 2019

-buy a system speaker?
-flash bios?

EDIT: omg I'm reading the entire mobo guide again and I missed the status leds, one's red it's the DRAM one wth

Sometimes the video card is disable on the bios you need external video card to take over the video function to enable since the rest of the computer still works.

Aug 28, 2019
Applying enough force to the memory module to lock it in completely.
Have you tried booting the system with only one stick of RAM inserted first.
Clear the Bios, one stick of RAM either side of the CPU and try boot the system with only VGA, power, mouse and keyboard connected.
If it boots enable XMP, Set Rampage Tweak mode 1, clock gen filter to 20uf, the correct DRAM voltage and VCCSA/VTT to 1.15. Save and reboot. Then try four sticks.

nicksandeimer

Prominent
Sep 7, 2019
Did you say the DRAM debug only lights up when you change slots used? Or DRAM on no matter what?

I would remove all but 1 RAM module as stated above and then move it to each slot, then if no luck repeat but with the other module.

-plugs the power cable
-turns the psu on O to I
-mobo aorus logo flashes white for a sec
-rtx lights on white near power in
-turns power on via front power button
-rtx glows red
-all fans are spinning (3 on gpu, 2 on case, 1 cpu cooler)
-CPU red led mobo flashes red for a sec then turns off
-DRAM red led mobo turns on and keep lighted state
-now everything's running but nothing happens on screen not even the Aorus logo which is what should be displayed
-tried with one ram in slot 1
-tried with 2 ram slot 1/3 and slot 2/4

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
-plugs the power cable
-turns the psu on O to I
-mobo aorus logo flashes white for a sec
-rtx lights on white near power in
-turns power on via front power button
-rtx glows red
-all fans are spinning (3 on gpu, 2 on case, 1 cpu cooler)
-CPU red led mobo flashes red for a sec then turns off
-DRAM red led mobo turns on and keep lighted state
-now everything's running but nothing happens on screen not even the Aorus logo which is what should be displayed
-tried with one ram in slot 1
-tried with 2 ram slot 1/3 and slot 2/4
And did you try the 1 RAM module in every slot, then swapped it with the other and retested?

nicksandeimer

Prominent
Sep 7, 2019
And did you try the 1 RAM module in every slot, then swapped it with the other and retested?

Yep that's like the first thing I tried before posting here.
Today I removed every extra standsoff. I took a video, all is left is the bios update but my previous computer is dead and I could buy a cheap ryzen 1 or 2 although I need this one to work by tomorrow...

View: https://youtu.be/oFqRWIVgxUM

nicksandeimer

Prominent
Sep 7, 2019
Okay so now I'm 98% sure the motherboard isn't updated.

I somehow got my old laptop to work (Latitude XT2, it couldn't even make a bootable W10 usb).

What do I need to do to update the BIOS (F32 then F40) on my Aorus B450 Elite without removing the Ryzen 5 3600X from its socket?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Okay so now I'm 98% sure the motherboard isn't updated.

I somehow got my old laptop to work (Latitude XT2, it couldn't even make a bootable W10 usb).

What do I need to do to update the BIOS (F32 then F40) on my Aorus B450 Elite without removing the Ryzen 5 3600X from its socket?
If it doesn't have BIOS flashback then unfortunately you need a compatible CPU in place.

If not the instructions will be in your motherboard manual.

nicksandeimer

Prominent
Sep 7, 2019
If it doesn't have BIOS flashback then unfortunately you need a compatible CPU in place.

If not the instructions will be in your motherboard manual.

https://www.aorus.com/product-detail.php?p=806

Correct me if I'm wrong but this one doesn't support USB Flashback?

I found out that AMD is sending Boot Kits but it'll take forever to come to my country but it's a free solution so if you can confirm that the aorus b450 eite can't usb flashback then I'll do that.

Thanks!

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
https://www.aorus.com/product-detail.php?p=806

Correct me if I'm wrong but this one doesn't support USB Flashback?

I found out that AMD is sending Boot Kits but it'll take forever to come to my country but it's a free solution so if you can confirm that the aorus b450 eite can't usb flashback then I'll do that.

Thanks!
No I don't believe it can, it only supports Q flash. Alternatively you may find a shop that will do the update for you.

A shop will also tell you if it is indeed the BIOS.

A motherboard speaker may still help, and if you have to wait anyway, I'd be tempted to finish the rest of the guide to check for bent CPU pins etc.

As I would expect the CPU LED to light more likely.

Reactions: nicksandeimer
Status
Not open for further replies.