[SOLVED] No display output after reorienting RAM sticks

Status
Not open for further replies.

leicherernst1

Reputable
Dec 6, 2017
So Windows 10 detected that I have a RAM problem and I thought it might be a defective slot on the motherboard. I installed the 2 RAM stick in the other 2 slots and Windows said it's working fine, but I did some extra troubleshooting just to be sure and put them back in the original slots (my motherboard has 4 slots). Both RAM sticks are the same except one is red and one is white, so I put the red one where the white one was originally and vice versa, no display output, I swapped them around and it worked, swapped them again and same problem, no display output. I'm rambling alot but basically, it seems like I can't swap the 2 sticks around, so red has to be in slot 1 and white in slot 3, if red is in slot 3 and white in slot 1, it doesn't work. My logic tells me that Windows should see both RAM sticks as exactly the same, so it shouldn't matter in which orientation they are installed, but it does apparently matter, what could be the problem? This is my first time posting on here because I can't find any information about my problem on the internet and Windows literally broke because of this and had to reinstall it so I'm hoping someone can tell me where the problem lies, my RAM sticks or slots?

Solution
It’s odd that they work one way around and not the other. However if you look at the motherboard instructions normally they say use slots 2 & 4 when running sticks.

Also mixing RAM not bought in a single kit can have issues and given you say they are different colours you are mixing RAM not from a single kit.

I guess the RAM being mixed and most likely not in the recommended motherboard slots is making it sensitive.
It’s odd that they work one way around and not the other. However if you look at the motherboard instructions normally they say use slots 2 & 4 when running sticks.

Also mixing RAM not bought in a single kit can have issues and given you say they are different colours you are mixing RAM not from a single kit.

I guess the RAM being mixed and most likely not in the recommended motherboard slots is making it sensitive.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.