[SOLVED] No Display RTX 2070 Super 8gb after "Update"

Feb 28, 2022
Trying to help my son out...he built a PC back in September 2020. It has been working fine since then with an occasional glitch that a restart will fix. He uses it for gaming, talking to his friends, etc., nothing too extreme. Turned it on last night and there is no display on either monitor, even in Safe Mode. Shut it down the previous night using 'Install Updates and Shutdown'. He is generally pretty good about keeping those up to date but I don't know about the updates for the individual components. I'm also not sure of what update was installed.

Specs are:
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8gb GDDR6
MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor
Corsair RM Series 750W ATX 12V Power Supply
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C16 LED Desktop Memory

1 Monitor is HDMI to HDMI and the other is DP to DP (could be HDMI, I have to verify)

If anyone could point me in the right direction as to where to begin troubleshooting, I would appreciate it. I do fine supporting business computers but gaming computers are another story. I plan on trying to get into safe mode again when I get home from work. I'll wait longer tonight and unplug any unnecessary peripherals before trying again. I've tried system restore, removing the most recent quality update unplugging one monitor, then the other but no luck.

Thank you, in advance, for your help.

Solution
Good News! When I got home, I powered on the computer and I had a display! In regular mode, not safe mode. From there, I updated the video drivers from the Nvidia website and installed any missing MS updates separately. I plan on updating the BIOS this weekend. I did turn off allowing MS to update any hardware drivers. I appreciate all of your suggestions.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old is the RM750 unit in your son's build? As for your system, try disconnecting from the wall and displays, remove the CMOS battery as well as pressing and holding down the power button for 30 seconds to remove residual power. Replace the CMOS battery after 30 minutes and see if that bring life back into the system.

with an occasional glitch that a restart will fix.
Could you elaborate on this...?

Feb 28, 2022
Thank you for your prompt response. The RM750 was purchased in Sept 2020 with the rest of the parts. I can try to remove the CMOS battery and discharging the residual power later today.

The "occasional" glitch is "Mom, something is wrong with my computer!!!" yelled from his room...no display. I press the power button to shut down the computer and restart it and it is fine. This time, I just get no display on either monitor. Fans and lights are working, everything seems fine except the display.

Feb 28, 2022
I'll try these suggestions when I get home tonight. Is there some way of disabling the RTX 2070 card in the BIOS and using the onboard video just to get a display to see if I can figure out what went wrong?

Feb 28, 2022
Update!!! I did get a display in Safe Mode when I ran home at lunch. That is more progress than I had last night. I also confirmed that it is DP to DP. I guess I will try to figure out what is not loading when I get home tonight. If anyone has any other suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Feb 28, 2022
Good News! When I got home, I powered on the computer and I had a display! In regular mode, not safe mode. From there, I updated the video drivers from the Nvidia website and installed any missing MS updates separately. I plan on updating the BIOS this weekend. I did turn off allowing MS to update any hardware drivers. I appreciate all of your suggestions.

Reactions: DRagor
Solution