No Display Signal - 5 beeps, Windows start up sound

Luxio

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
I've seen tons of these threads and have tried what seems like everything I've read.

First the problem:

Everything on my computer was running fine - one morning I get up and the computer is still on and the display has gone to sleep, normal... But I can't wake up the display and have to restart the computer. Upon restart the display still has nothing, but I can hear the windows start up sound in my headphones and it seems like everything is working fine except monitor. All the fans are spinning, lights are on, etc.

I've gotten 5 beeps (I would say they are long compared to the usual start up beeps, but they may be considered short, I'm not sure).

Second, the specs:

Supermicro X9sra mobo
Intel Xeon e5-2670
MSI Radeon R9 280x
4x8 Kingtson HyperX RAM (2 different sets, red and blue same speed)

I know the monitor is working, just tried it with my laptop. It doesn't seem like the RAM is the problem. I've reseated them and tried many different configurations, including just using 1 at a time. I even took out the cpu and checked the pins, reseated it, and applied new thermal paste. I reset the bios by taking out the cmos battery and holding power for 20 seconds, then putting it back.

The only thing that I haven't done, that I can think of, is replace the video card. I'm looking for any other way to test before spending money on replacements (I wouldn't be able to find a spare video card - but I'd be willing to get one from best buy since as long as I could return it easily).

Anything I missed? It's pretty bad timing because I have video projects for two clients that I'm supposed to be finishing up this week.

Solution
5 beeps should be GPU, but it can also happen if gpu doesnt detect connected monitor (ie bad/loose cable)
try with different ports or different cable
if windows loads, than hardware should be fine, should be just connectivity issue

Luxio

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011

I currently have a dvi to dvi connection from monitor to gpu, and I bought a new dvi to hdmi cable and tried that with no luck. I then tried the new dvi to hdmi from my monitor to my laptop and that worked just fine. So it doesn't seem to be the cables. Is there any way to tell if the gpu is malfunctioning even though it spins up fine - also, like you said, would windows even start up if there was no gpu or if the gpu was bad?

Luxio

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011

Ports, meaning the ones I just pointed out? My gpu only has one hdmi and one dvi and my monitor only has one dvi and one vga. So I've tried all the ones available for my monitor and gpu combo.

Luxio

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
Last update on the problem - swapped out the gpu and display connected fine. Still not sure what was wrong with my 280x but it prompted an early upgrade to a 1070 =P