Question No Display Signal (RTX 4090) Just Occasionally/Randomly

Aug 19, 2024
Hi everybody,

I've been facing this strange issue from last month. My spec is as follows:
cpu: i9-7900X
motherboard : gigabyte x299 gaming ultra pro
graphics card : gigabyte 4090rtx OC
ram 32gb
monitors: 2 x hp pavilion 32" connected via display ports (DP version 1.2 )
psu : coolermaster v1000 watts

I've been using rtx 4090 for almost a year without a problem but recently I suddenly don't get display out. can't even go into BIOS. but the windows starts up with a startup sound but no display. Mostly happens when my computer freezes and try to restart or hard restart but also happens even if the computer is safely turned off. It is totally random. It will take hours and countless re-tries to get back the display and works for couple of days sometimes. Last week I think it fixed automagically because i restarted countless times and it was working every time. Yesterday the issue is back again and I got display working after 4 hours, after trying for 20+ times.

also tried HDMI port with no luck.
I'm assuming it is either the PCI Slot gone bad or dusty or the graphics card gone bad or has to do something with EPROM thing . I have not tried replacing new graphics card but will do it soon and update if i take it to repair.

My gfx card driver is upto date *studio driver" also tried "gaming driver"
My motherboard bios is upto date (2 years or so old)

I have even tried to installed nvidia Displayport Firmware Updater Tool but it said not required since i'm using dp 1.2 i guess
My motherboard does not have integrated GPU so can't change the driver after windows starts.

Tried logging on using anydesk but display res is like 640x480 only and anydesk freezes if i tried to click . I can enter password and alt+F4 to shutdown with or without anydesk or press power button to shutdown. I think it means the graphic card is not detected by windows and hence there was no driver and so is 640x480 resolution.

The power adapter looks also fine. not loose connection or melting by heat.
Last thing I remember was I installed few small aps and updated msi afterburner and riva tuner to latest version and i was using on-taskbar-display feature but that slowed down performance in unreal. so uninstalled both softwares . Then after a day or two i think this problem started. I have never overclocked manually but something has to do with rivatuner may be ?

Pls help in anyway you can. I'm really lost and I don't have much options left except to take it to repair center and leave my pc there for few days. I have works to complete and I'm running out of time.. :(

fcar1999ta

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
Didn't read through all of it...... Have you tried booting to safe mode and un-installing Afterburner, Riva Turner, and anything else that you have installed recently?

Aug 19, 2024
Didn't read through all of it...... Have you tried booting to safe mode and un-installing Afterburner, Riva Turner, and anything else that you have installed recently?
When there is no display situation, it's difficult to boot into safe mode since there is no display at all. . You mean press Shift while booting up ? Anyway, I have already uninstalled rivatuner. Only latest afterburner is installed. The display is working now. but I am not sure if the display will work again or not if I shutdown or restart my computer.

Aug 19, 2024
Oh I forgot to mentioned that I opened the chassis and pushed the card and the power adapter a bit to make sure they were tightly fit. Did this last time too many times, but this time it worked i guess and i got my display back . It may be power adapter but doesn't look like they were bad or melted.