[SOLVED] No display with 2 cards, maybe mobo dead?

Apr 26, 2021
Yesterday I tried swapping my parts into a new mobo, which I eventually decided not to use, but put all my parts back together how they originally were. After connecting everything I’m not able to get a display. The only thing I can think of is that when taking out my GPU from the other mobo I had to pull it out since the latch on the mobo was broken for the PCI lane. Since putting my GPU back in with my original mobo the fans spin for about 15 seconds and then stop (not sure if that’s how they always were and don’t know if they’re set up to control their RPM by themselves, etc.) However today
after trying some of the fixes people on reddit told me to try nothing helped. Today I tried putting in my old EVGA gtx 550ti to see if the card was shocked from static electricity or maybe the PCI was damaged. However, I got no display (which is sorta a good thing). So my question is, is my mobo more than likely dead. Still gets power to fans, cpu, and hard drives but giving no display to GPU. If it is, am I safe to buy a new mobo and everything working. Or do you guys have any suggestions as to why everything else is receiving power but my GPU’s won’t give a display?

Parts:
MOBO - GIGABYTE 78LMTS2
GPU - gtx 950
CPU - amd fx 6300
16gb of ddr3 (forget the brand)
PSU - EVGA 450W

Solution
It's possible the x16 port is bunk. There's 2 parts to that clip, the part you can put your finger on to release it, and the part that grabs the stub at the back end of the gpu.

The part that most often breaks off is the finger part, so the gpu is still grabbed when seated correctly. That's a pain to release and if you overpowered the snatching to get the card out, it's plausible you broke a solder joint or multiple joints in your efforts.

You can try pushing the card harder into the board, see if there's life to the monitors, at least you'd have an answer then, as even the old card didn't work.

What's rough is its really not worth the cost to replace the board unless you can get a very good deal on one, the FX have become...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's possible the x16 port is bunk. There's 2 parts to that clip, the part you can put your finger on to release it, and the part that grabs the stub at the back end of the gpu.

The part that most often breaks off is the finger part, so the gpu is still grabbed when seated correctly. That's a pain to release and if you overpowered the snatching to get the card out, it's plausible you broke a solder joint or multiple joints in your efforts.

You can try pushing the card harder into the board, see if there's life to the monitors, at least you'd have an answer then, as even the old card didn't work.

What's rough is its really not worth the cost to replace the board unless you can get a very good deal on one, the FX have become dinosaurs, only 2/3rds as capable as a 3rdGen Intel, and don't take well to some softwares higher performance needs.

I'd weigh the pros and cons of replacement with a newer motherboard, ram, cpu that'll last several more years vs the chances any old AM3+ motherboard built 10 years ago is still going to do the same.

Solution
Apr 26, 2021

What's rough is its really not worth the cost to replace the board unless you can get a very good deal on one, the FX have become dinosaurs, only 2/3rds as capable as a 3rdGen Intel, and don't take well to some softwares higher performance needs.

I'd weigh the pros and cons of replacement with a newer motherboard, ram, cpu that'll last several more years vs the chances any old AM3+ motherboard built 10 years ago is still going to do the same.
I 100% agree with you on not upgrading to AM3+ for the long run but I really need my computer on soon so I can make more money haha. I’m glad you seem to believe it’s also motherboard related as if it was GPU that’d make things a lot worse. I’m gonna try to find an AM3+ mobo for under 50 until I’m able to get enough to upgrade to Ryzen. Thanks!