Question No Display with new GPU Rtx 3070ti

aelfswith

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Good Morning, I have the following setup, currently with a GTX 1070 replacing with an ASUS Tuf gaming RTX3070ti

I9-11900K w/ Noctua D15 Dual Tower Cooler
Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite AX Mobo
G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (4x16)
WD Blue SN550 SSD for system drive, WD 2 TB Hard Drive, WD 1 TB Hard Drive
Corsair Rm1000x PSU (new)
Cooler Master CM 690 Case w/ 3 case fans
Win 10

I am having the issue where after power up I get a no display message on either of my monitors (one DP one HDMI) System functions properly with old card in. Had the same issue with the same 3070ti card that I sent back and replaced. Replaced 10yr old PSU with same result.

I have run DDU
Cables are seated properly on PSU and Both Power connections on Card. (separate PCie power cord per connection)
cables are plugged into the card and not the MB, however, I have been plugging in both monitors.
Card Locks in place, so should be seated fully (?)
I have updated to most recent Bios
I have reset the CMOS (will try that again with the replacement card)
Have NOT tried booting with one Ram stick as I could not remember if that was in conjunction with CMOS reset.
GPU Lights up and fans spin for a moment then shut off, card stays lit.
No debug LED's stay lit on the MB.

I can get to BIOS and it(BIOS) shows up on the DP display although the Aorus splash screen does not show when the new card is in on power up. The BIOS shows the card as populating the PCie slot (4.0x 16)

Any advice on other steps would be appreciated, but have a couple questions.

1. I could not find the post I had read earlier regarding removing all by one stick of ram. Was that one of the step that was done during CMOS reset in the event that just resetting the CMOS did not help?
  2. before I reset the CMOS again tonight, is there something simple I am missing? Never had this much of a problem installing something on a pc.

jasonf2

Distinguished
Memory is being stretched a bit here but the 1070 in many cases had to be ran in legacy boot mode. Legacy boot support has been dropped on the newer Nvidia cards. Go into bios and make sure you are in uefi boot mode, not legacy and see what happens. Also with the issues you are having I would get thing running with a single monitor and then plug the second one in later. If you are in legacy you may also have to convert a couple of things in windows.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ion-from/aa8c2de3-460b-4a8c-b30b-641405f800d7
That URL explains it.

Reactions: aelfswith

aelfswith

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Memory is being stretched a bit here but the 1070 in many cases had to be ran in legacy boot mode. Legacy boot support has been dropped on the newer Nvidia cards. Go into bios and make sure you are in uefi boot mode, not legacy and see what happens. Also with the issues you are having I would get thing running with a single monitor and then plug the second one in later. If you are in legacy you may also have to convert a couple of things in windows.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ion-from/aa8c2de3-460b-4a8c-b30b-641405f800d7
That URL explains it.
Will check that tonight. Is there a visual difference in what BIOS looks like between the two? Edit: Appears it is default set to UEFI only per manual, but will verify.

Last edited:

jasonf2

Distinguished
Will check that tonight. Is there a visual difference in what BIOS looks like between the two? Edit: Appears it is default set to UEFI only per manual, but will verify.
No the bios startup screens look the same, except the way it is set up. The big difference is that in UEFI the OS runs the bios (
Basic Input Output System), whereas in legacy the bios stands on it's own. So UEFI is a pretty different system when it comes to interfacing cards and drivers. You need to check windows too. Use msinfo32.exe and on the right hand side it will have "Bios Mode" it will either list Legacy or UEFI.
Also just because your startup splash screen says it is UEFI doesn't mean anything. All that is saying is that it is UEFI compliant (which all modern boards are). You have to verify boot mode in bios. If you are running legacy though you can get stuck in a nasty cyclic loop. You really need to change Windows over first before you change the bios setting. If you don't the system will probably hang when you change the bios setting.

aelfswith

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
No the bios startup screens look the same, except the way it is set up. The big difference is that in UEFI the OS runs the bios (
Basic Input Output System), whereas in legacy the bios stands on it's own. So UEFI is a pretty different system when it comes to interfacing cards and drivers. You need to check windows too. Use msinfo32.exe and on the right hand side it will have "Bios Mode" it will either list Legacy or UEFI.
Also just because your startup splash screen says it is UEFI doesn't mean anything. All that is saying is that it is UEFI compliant (which all modern boards are). You have to verify boot mode in bios. If you are running legacy though you can get stuck in a nasty cyclic loop. You really need to change Windows over first before you change the bios setting. If you don't the system will probably hang when you change the bios setting.

CSM is Disabled. 1070 is a UEFI Card from what I see. 900 series and before was legacy I think. See following post.

Thanks for the advice on what to check though.

aelfswith

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Found a solution. after checking on what Jasonf2 commented on, I reset the CMOS. That alone did not solve the issue though. After the reset and installing the new card, the VGA debug light lit up. (also on reinstalling the 1070). Fortunately with integrated graphics, I removed the gpu and got to the bios, set the pcie slot from auto to gen 3 reinstalled the 3070ti. (vga light went out but still no video. saw this tip in another post here.) Seemed to boot into windows though. rebooted back to bios, changed pcie to gen 4, rebooted, spammed f12 to select boot option at which point I could install the drivers....In hind sight, I am not sure it was in safe mode, but the screen was at the low res like safe mode.

For any others that have this issue, as stated before, even though the screen was blank upon boot I was able to spam del key and get to BIOS.

KyaraM

Admirable
That URL explains it.
What? That's news to me. My own 1070 ran fine in UEFI mode in every system I had it running so far, which is three (original system, new system upgraded OG system with new mainboard and CPU). And I honestly doubt a five years old card wouldn't support UEFI, honestly...

Anyways, seems to be fixed, which is all that counts.

Last edited:

jasonf2

Distinguished
What? That's news to me. My own 1070 ran fine in UEFI mode in every system I had it running so far, which is three (original system, new system upgraded OG system with new mainboard and CPU). And I honestly doubt a five years old card wouldn't support UEFI, honestly...

Anyways, seems to be fixed, which is all that counts.
The 1070 could boot into either and it was pretty common that even though UEFI was pretty much completely supported that when the build was being configured by novice builders that legacy mode was used due to default board settings or by inadvertently setting up MBR instead of GPT at the OS level and/or older legacy cards in the system. There were also instances where setting it into legacy could help the card detect. I have seen this alot even on newer systems when trying to move up to Windows 11 which requires UEFI and secure boot. The last couple of Nvidia GPU gens dropped support for legacy.

So 1070 works fine in uefi or legacy boot, 3000 series card UEFI only and the machine could have been in legacy mode which would have splash screened and then gone blank because it defaulted back to integrated graphics by not detecting discrete card.

I just glad to see that the EU found a solution.

KyaraM

Admirable
The 1070 could boot into either and it was pretty common that even though UEFI was pretty much completely supported that when the build was being configured by novice builders that legacy mode was used due to default board settings or by inadvertently setting up MBR instead of GPT at the OS level and/or older legacy cards in the system. There were also instances where setting it into legacy could help the card detect. I have seen this alot even on newer systems when trying to move up to Windows 11 which requires UEFI and secure boot. The last couple of Nvidia GPU gens dropped support for legacy.

So 1070 works fine in uefi or legacy boot, 3000 series card UEFI only and the machine could have been in legacy mode which would have splash screened and then gone blank because it defaulted back to integrated graphics by not detecting discrete card.

I just glad to see that the EU found a solution.
I know all of that. The point still stands that it didn't HAVE to be booted into legacy mode as claimed. If someone cannot setup their system correctly, that's on the card.

jasonf2

Distinguished
I know all of that. The point still stands that it didn't HAVE to be booted into legacy mode as claimed. If someone cannot setup their system correctly, that's on the card.
If I made it sound like all 1070 cards had to be legacy I apologize it was not the intent. If you do a quick search you will find feeds with people having issues with the 1070 and running it in legacy to get it going. 1070s went both ways but in some builds had to be ran in legacy for compatibility. The EU is running Windows 10 which could be either way and not really know. 3000 series cards don't work in legacy.

The only reason this forum exists is because there are a lot of people who cannot setup their system properly.