Question No Display/wont boot/white led

Feb 15, 2019
This is my first PC build and im breadboarding it first (building outside the case) and it wont boot to bios.
my specs are:
CPU: AMD ryzen 5 2600
MoBo: Asus ROG Strix B450-f gaming
Ram: corsair Vengeance 2x8GB
GPU: R9 390 gaming 8GB
PSU: seasonic 450W 80 gold plus
HSF: hyper evo 212

my problem is that when i short the power to test it and boot bios all i get is 'no HDMI input' and a white LED to show that there is a problem with the GPU which stays on even when the GPU is removed from the motherboard.
to test its not the motherboard i've removed all but one ram sticks and gpu and tried to boot but did not work and white light persisted. removed all but psu cpu and HSF this resulted in an orange mobo light to show the ram was the problem that time when it wasn't connected which makes me believe the mobo isn't the problem as it can tell when theres no ram inserted. and i've reset the cmos, (i think?) removed all power cables and shorted the pins for 10 seconds. and then tried with just one stick of ram and still no output from the pc.
the hdmi from monitor is plugged into the gpu and all power cables are connected properly. i've been told my psu might be too small for the 390 but the system powers on and the cpu fan runs fine, the gpu fans aren't on but the logo lights up. sorry if this isn't the clearest explanation, but help would be appreciated

Last edited:

Jonas Taelman

Reputable
Jul 19, 2015
and a white LED to show that there is a problem with the GPU which stays on even when the GPU is removed
It's only logical your motherboard posts a white LED when the card is removed. Ryzen 5 doesn't have integrated graphics and the motherboard can't find your card.

If you're lucky your card might still be in warranty, which is probably not the case 😕

Feb 15, 2019
why wouldn't the graphics card not be showing then, i'm assuming due to power then ive connected the 6x2 8 pin but there is another 6 pin slot next to that. is there another power connecter needed in there or is that for sli?