No driver for network adapter..? How do I get my internet running?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zombiebait

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
This has likely been brought up before but I'm at a loss. I just installed Windows 8 on my brand new build. It's telling me I'm missing network adapter drivers and therefore cannot connect. How do I get the necessary drivers without internet? Seems like a vicious circle. And for those wondering, I posted this from my phone. I'm using a hardline for my computer. No WiFi. Help!!

zombiebait

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
I tried to see if I could even find the drivers I need but all I found was a program designed to download them for me from the internet. This is a sick joke. My modem is a smc8014wn. If I can download the drivers to my phone and then transfer via usb it should work right? If anyone can figure out where the hell I can find the drivers that would be awesome...

Kewlx25

Distinguished
You need the driver for your network card, not your modem. Most computers come with a driver disk, or at least did last I purchased a retail computer. You can look up your computer's details and find out which network card you use.

It's very rare for a modern OS to not have a network card. I recommend getting quality computers, which help with this issue by using standard hardware.

zombiebait

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013

it's not a retail computer. I built it. As far as I know my motherboard does not have an integrated network card. I'm running an asrock z87 extreme4.

Duckman52

Reputable
Aug 19, 2014

how was this solved? having same issue

Cherwally

Reputable
Jan 5, 2016
If you have same Motherboard (Asrock z87 Extreme4):
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z87%20Extreme4/?cat=Download

Always check where your Network cable is plugged in!

If in Motherboard, then open PC and find motherboard model number,
or if is a sealed system, search the system model name + Drivers.
If Laptop, simply search the laptop model number + Network Driver.
If stand-alone network card, read that card model number/name.

If by chance you have access to any WiFi and have a USB dongle/WiFi stick...
use that as temporary connection till you get the network drivers!
If no PC/laptop around to download drivers...use any smartphone!

IMPORTANT:
1. Some drivers are working only on 32bit and others are on 64bit,
best is to match them with your actual OS!
2. Try download drivers from Manufacturer website,
not some obscure Driver Downloader (which most are only DEMO)

Hope it helps guys!

xoiio

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
Run a linux live cd, that should let you connect to the internet, then you can download the driver files to somewhere on your hard drive, boot up windows, and then install the driver.

Kitty145

Commendable
Apr 19, 2016

Have you tried the device manager? Sometimes that works, but in my case I got the same problem. For some people the device manager would work

Julius_8

Commendable
May 4, 2016
I had a similar issue. I bought a "floor model" laptop from Best Buy. It was in demo mode so I had to do a clean reset. When I did Windows wouldn't start up so I did a fresh install of Windows 7. When I did this I lost all my wireless drivers, including wireless lan driver. I tried using another computer to download the drivers needed with no success because the laptop was built for a newer version of Windows so the drivers available for Windows 7 weren't compatible with the hardware.

Alas, I found a solution!

I went back to Best Buy and bought a WIRELESS USB NETWORK ADAPTER. got it home and and within minutes j was online and updating to Windows 10 along with all the needed drivers.

PROBLEM FIXED!

E_L_Darkheart

Commendable
Jun 7, 2016

This seems to be the best option, but for someone that doesn't have a bootable linux drive/CD the only other option is to download them on another machine and transfer them via usb/CD. I am assuming you know to go into your device manager and look up the exact device you need a driver for so you get the right driver.

Wallstonecraft

Commendable
Sep 15, 2016
In terms of how you can connect your pc to the internet you could just tether your mobile by USB then find the drivers that way.

That's what I'm currently doing. It was really easy to tether my home wifi through my phone via USB to my PC (just google it and there's plenty of guides with minimal steps).

The hard part now is finding the driver for my wireless adaptor. The adaptor was given to me by a firend and I have no idea what make or model it is. It's just a circuit board...

Isn't popping up in my device manager either (as an identified or unidentified network device). Which is the reason I ended up here.

Oh well, back to googling...

rgd1101

Don't

1)don't necro post
2) the op don't have any drivers, so no wifi either.

Wallstonecraft

Commendable
Sep 15, 2016

1. There wasn't a published solution and people were posting only a few months ago.
2. I don't have any wireless adapter drivers but I have wifi. What are you talking about? Just because his PC is down it doesn't mean is wifi is? Just connect to your wifi from your phone and then tether via USB to your desktop on a LAN adaptor (not the wireless adaptor)

This thread is still ranking high on the SERP for a really generic search query. I thought I'd help out the next person to land here. I won't bother next time...

hazeleyes8

Commendable
Oct 19, 2016

how do you know if you are downloading the right thing?i just experienced this same m-f ing prob with windows 10...i have 2 of the same computers, luckily but dont know how to download it to a usb flash whatever and am afraid of doing all this, but surely dont want to pay a techie becuz im too dumb to do it

Dana_23

Commendable
Dec 8, 2016

GrandDuel

Prominent
Mar 13, 2017
I had the exact same problem, I formatted a laptop and reinstalled windows, but aside from downloading a new driver I had a third option which was to restore the system to a point where it was working, now if I do so will that retrieve all of the files I that I have formatted and/or delete my currently installed files?

Status
Not open for further replies.