Question No explanation for intermittent crashing on various games...

takearushfan82

Honorable
Jun 10, 2017
My cousin has an issue that I thought I'd ask here about. I want to help but can't figure out what's causing his son's problem. The copy of Windows 11 he has is legit. None of his other PC tech guys can figure it out either. Can someone here assist?
"Tyler built his own gaming PC this summer. It’s pretty robust, but it’s crashing when he plays certain games, but not others. I’ve googled and googled and have found several things to try. None have worked. (List below.)

The games that crash:

Fortnite: Randomly crashes within the first 15 minutes. Not every session but fairly frequently.

Rainbow Six: Same as above, but not as frequently.

Call of Duty Vanguard and Warzone: Crashes immediately upon launch. Every time.

Games he plays where it doesn’t crash:

Valorant

Madden 23

Red Dead Redemption 2

He has checked temps and has verified it’s not even close to overheating.

Red Dead is a huge open world game that would likely cause overheating if that were the issue but that game never crashes.

I think it’s a Windows 11 issue but we’ve tried everything we can find on the internet short of downgrading to a clean install of Windows 10.

Things he has tried:

• Turned off fast startup
  • Turned off automatic restart
  • Updated all drivers
  • Turned power Cfg-h-off
  • Ran troubleshooting
  • Turned off sleep mode
  • Ran scans for faulty hardware
  • Updated windows to newest update

Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8 core

Hard Drive: Samsung 2TB SSD

RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance

Graphics Card: GForce RTX 3050

Power Supply: Corsair HX Series HX1000

CPU Cooler: Corsair liquid cooled ICUE H150i Elite Capellix

Fans: Two intake fans, one exhaust fan, plus the three exhaust fans on the CPU cooler.

Operating system: Windows 11 Pro, v 21H2, OS Build 22000.1042

Motherboard is a Gigabyte X570 AORUS Elite

Has anyone checked RAM with memtest86+? This can be run from a separate thumb drive or CD or other bootable media. It uses its own operating system, but does not install or overwrite anything on the system. You would run this overnight if possible.

You could also check with one RAM stick at a time. For example, if this is in the form of 4 RAM sticks, then each one in the first slot testing with something that crashes a lot.

It sounds like the component choices are reasonably good, and maybe this is software, but often this sort of failure is either RAM or power supply. Either RAM or power supply would cause possibly random failures in a number of programs. It is possible for a single driver to be a problem, and so you might try some benchmark tools which allow you to stress test one component at a time. For example, just SSD, or just video. See if it can isolate or if it remains a mystery and randomly hits at any function.

You are right to think about thermal issues. It sounds like this is not the problem. However, keep in mind that there are corner cases, e.g., thermal compound has a small bubble in the middle, whereby the device as a whole might seem cooled, but there would be a tiny hot spot, and this would be a problem. It isn't likely to help, but you might consider remounting any heat sink with very carefully applied thermal compound again if nothing else shows up.

One last thing I have seen before is a bent CPU pin doing this. CPUs tend to have a lot of power delivery pins, and if one of them is bent or broken, then the CPU won't necessarily show any signs of failure until higher current draw is required. Should he reapply thermal compound I also suggest looking closely at all pins at both the CPU side and the socket side (for example, even if it is a ball-grid array and not pins, if some tiny contaminant is in the socket, then this causes a bad connection without the pin ever breaking).

Most people don't have a spare power supply, but if you do have one rated high enough, then you might consider swapping out the power supply just to see if it changes. The supply does not even need to be mounted in the chassis at the time.

Reactions: takearushfan82
May 2, 2022
would be interesting to know what the crash dumps say, I am almost 100% sure the error would be the Access Violation, I also have this issue myself, if you ever find a fix or at least the cause of the random infuriating crashes in some games but none in other, I'd be interested to know too.

May 2, 2022
My cousin has an issue that I thought I'd ask here about. I want to help but can't figure out what's causing his son's problem. The copy of Windows 11 he has is legit. None of his other PC tech guys can figure it out either. Can someone here assist?
"Tyler built his own gaming PC this summer. It’s pretty robust, but it’s crashing when he plays certain games, but not others. I’ve googled and googled and have found several things to try. None have worked. (List below.)

The games that crash:

Fortnite: Randomly crashes within the first 15 minutes. Not every session but fairly frequently.

Rainbow Six: Same as above, but not as frequently.

Call of Duty Vanguard and Warzone: Crashes immediately upon launch. Every time.

Games he plays where it doesn’t crash:

Valorant

Madden 23

Red Dead Redemption 2

He has checked temps and has verified it’s not even close to overheating.

Red Dead is a huge open world game that would likely cause overheating if that were the issue but that game never crashes.

I think it’s a Windows 11 issue but we’ve tried everything we can find on the internet short of downgrading to a clean install of Windows 10.

Things he has tried:

• Turned off fast startup
  • Turned off automatic restart
  • Updated all drivers
  • Turned power Cfg-h-off
  • Ran troubleshooting
  • Turned off sleep mode
  • Ran scans for faulty hardware
  • Updated windows to newest update
Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8 core

Hard Drive: Samsung 2TB SSD

RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance

Graphics Card: GForce RTX 3050

Power Supply: Corsair HX Series HX1000

CPU Cooler: Corsair liquid cooled ICUE H150i Elite Capellix

Fans: Two intake fans, one exhaust fan, plus the three exhaust fans on the CPU cooler.

Operating system: Windows 11 Pro, v 21H2, OS Build 22000.1042

Motherboard is a Gigabyte X570 AORUS Elite

Please locate the crash dumps generated by the CoD games, Fortnite and R6S, you will need to look up online where the files are stored, it might be in game files in the install directory or in Appdata, when you find them, debug them, if you don't know how to do that, there are online guides but basically you will need to download and install Windbg (X64) and take it from there, it's fairly easy.
Once we know what the dmps say it would be easier to narrow down potential sources of problem.