No FreeSync for my 280x crossfire.

unklep

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
So Ive been waiting for a few months now to hear when the first monitors with freesync will come out. I can definitely say i am very disappointed. VERY. I have a 280x crossfire setup less then a year old and they say its old technology now and they cant support freesync on it.

I call bullshit on that, i think they just figure that if your willing to switch brands to get G-sync then they can make you buy one of their NEW top end cards to get freesync.

I have a bad amd taste in my mouth now and feel like i should just switch back to Nvidia at least they support Gsync on all their new cards no mater what tech is in it.

I wont be surprised if they just wait a few months to put out drivers for the mid to low end r9 cards just to see if they can sneak a few sales from some impatient gamers.

Solution

by all means. i had 1 280x and it's a pain in the butt (can't imagine having 2), i sold it and got myself a gtx970 amp omega. the DSR feature alone in this card make me don't want to go to work and just play forever.
280x IS pretty old technology. HD 7970 came out in January 2012. That's almost 3 years ago which is ancient in the computer world.

Anyways, freesynch is mostly dependent on display port technology and utilization by the monitor manufacturer. Samsung's are coming next year:

http://www.pcgamer.com/4k-samsung-monitors-to-support-amd-freesync-in-early-2015/

unklep

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
then why do they say freesync will work for desktop and movie playback for the whole r9 series. just not for games. clearly there is technology there to get the job done just not what you want to do. plus its the monitor that does all the work in freesync. the video card just outputs when its finished a frame. what it really sounds like is they could do it but just dont want to because they want you to upgrade.

Tahiti might be old but it is still the same GCN core that being used in Hawaii (1.1) and Tonga (1.2) . only that freesync will going to need GCN 1.1 for variable refresh rate during gaming which is what really matter with this tech to begin with. and if you were following the news about freesync you will aware there already a bit of changes compared to when AMD first come up with the concept.

seems to me it is more difficult than AMD initially thought despite claiming their hardware has the capability to do it for three generation already. i still remember when they AMD first come up with FreeSync it was suppose to be free upgrade on user end (except monitor since there is no monitor use eDP that usually used in laptop) hence they use the 'Free' name in FreeSync.

unklep

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
i origially got these cards last year for bitcoin mining so i wasnt even thinking about gaming. i really hate screen tearing it drives me nuts. so i just found this solution a couple months ago when i read up on Gsync. maybe i could sell the 2 cards and get 1 good Nvidia card. Im dissapointed with my physx performance anyway

not really. FreeSync requires GCN 1.1 (for gaming ) only known when AMD first come up with their FAQ about FreeSync/Adaptive Sync around middle of this year. before that it is expected to at least work with all GCN based GPU or even GPU from much earlier than GCN based GPU based on AMD statement that they have the necessary tech inside their GPU for three generations already.

He explained that this particular laptop's display happened to support a feature that AMD has had in its graphics chips "for three generations": dynamic refresh rates. AMD built this capability into its GPUs primarily for power-saving reasons, since unnecessary vertical refresh cycles burn power to little benefit. There's even a proposed VESA specification for dynamic refresh, and the feature has been adopted by some panel makers, though not on a consistent or widespread basis. AMD's Catalyst drivers already support it where it's available, which is why an impromptu demo was possible.

http://techreport.com/news/25867/amd-could-counter-nvidia-g-sync-with-simpler-free-sync-tech

wh3resmycar

Distinguished

by all means. i had 1 280x and it's a pain in the butt (can't imagine having 2), i sold it and got myself a gtx970 amp omega. the DSR feature alone in this card make me don't want to go to work and just play forever.

Solution