ADM_Tetanus

Prominent
Feb 23, 2020
To give some context to the problem, most of my parts are secondhand, but this is the only isue I'm having, and I've recieved no working solution from various reddit threads. I've replaced the motherboard (with an identical one) and GPU (with a different one) to try and see if that was the issue, they were not.

My Specs:
  • GPU: ATI Radeon R9 280X 3GB
  • Motherboard: micro ATX Asus (P8H61-I LX R2.0/RM/SI)
  • PSU: corsair VS550
  • CPU: i5 3470
  • RAM: 16GB DDR3
  • HDD: 250MB
  • (If I've missed something, please ask).
I've tried multiple video cables, output ports, BIOS settings, everything that I can find that's suggested on threads like this.

The issue is thus: when the GPU is plugged into the PCIE slot on the motherboard, the monitor finds no output signal. As I say, whether it's HDMI, VGA, through the GPU or though the motherboard. I believe I've tried to install the drivers, but with no output signal with the GPU onboard, it's not possible to activate them (it simply says that my system is incomatible when it isn't plugged in).

Any help, even if simply suggestions of what to try next, is welcome.

Last edited:

ADM_Tetanus

Prominent
Feb 23, 2020
PC Part Picker List - ASUS Micro-ATX Motherboards - Three pages worth. Might help if you gave us an actual motherboard model number.

Generally speaking, if you install a graphics card into the primary PCI-Ex16 slot, in many cases, the on-board graphics are disabled, so when a card is installed, the motherboard outputs do not work.

-Wolf sends

P8H61-I LX R2.0/RM/SI

I this helpful? There's none on that list that match mine.

ADM_Tetanus

Prominent
Feb 23, 2020
Yes, that helps
ASUS P8H61I LX R2.0 CPU Support List

The power supply specifications that I could find only states 2 PCIE connectors, can you tell us what they are (6-pin, 6+2pin, 8-pin)?
What power connectors does your graphics card require and are they connected to the power supply?

-Wolf sends

the power supply has 2x 4+2. The GPU is 6 pin. It's awkward to do, but yes, it's been powered correctly.

Wolfshadw

Titan
No. That's an 8-pin (6+2pin) and a 6-pin. Two separate power ports.

If your power supply has two 6+2-pin power cables, then for the 8-pin power port on the card, you need to hold together the 6+2pins one one power cable and insert it into the 8-pin power port on the card. For the 6-pin power port on that card, you need to just insert the other 6=2 pin power cable, but leave the +2 hanging by the side.

-Wolf sends

ADM_Tetanus

Prominent
Feb 23, 2020
No. That's an 8-pin (6+2pin) and a 6-pin. Two separate power ports.

If your power supply has two 6+2-pin power cables, then for the 8-pin power port on the card, you need to hold together the 6+2pins one one power cable and insert it into the 8-pin power port on the card. For the 6-pin power port on that card, you need to just insert the other 6=2 pin power cable, but leave the +2 hanging by the side.

-Wolf sends

Didn't realise they were considered separate, but yes that's how I've been doing it. The fans spin, so I presumed power wouldn't have been the problem anyway tbh.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Well, if it didn't work with the GTX 770 and it's not working with the R9 280X, but integrated IS working, then that would lead me to believe it's either the power supply or the motherboard. But since you stated that you've tried it with an identical motherboard and it still did not work, the kind of leaves just the power supply.

Can you test the R9-280X in another computer to see if it works?

-Wolf sends

ADM_Tetanus

Prominent
Feb 23, 2020
Can you test the R9-280X in another computer to see if it works?

sorry it's taken so long to get this sorted, but I have confirmation that the r9-280X does NOT work in my friends rig - same lack of output as my own. I won't be going to CEX again for a GPU, any advice on a reliable, cheap vendor in the UK?