No hover preview on taskbar when multiple windows of the same app are opened, only a list of the app's name.

Sunnai

Commendable
May 28, 2016
Preview works just fine when there is only one window of an app opened. Yet it only shows a list of the app's name when I open multiple windows of the same app. I want it to show multiple previews when I hover over the app's icon on the taskbar.

It used to work fine, think the problem might've happened because I tested out Game Booster in ASUS GPU Tweak, which includes modification of visual effects. There is no "back to original state" key, so I can't solve my problem there.

I've searched google, but most of them is about disabling the preview. I tried following the instructions reversely, including modifying "NumThumbnails" with Registry Editor(by following http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-disable-taskbar-preview-thumbnails-in-windows-10/ ), but none worked.
Maybe I missed out something? Please tell me.

Please help.

Colif

Win 11 Master
GPU Tweak 2: If I click the gaming booster button, there is a default button on the next page, does that not reset the settings? I know Asus software well enough to not set it on just in case it does same thing to me.

editing registry never ends well.

Sunnai

Commendable
May 28, 2016

I'm pretty sure the Default button you said is for resetting the Game Booster settings but not reversing the changes it made to the system...?
I just don't get it why editing registry isn't working for me.

Sunnai

Commendable
May 28, 2016

If I uninstall gpu tweak, can tweaking still be done in AI Suite 3?
Or do you suggest me to uninstall that too? Cuz I did see someone calling it a bloatware.
If so, how can I at tune my GPU? or is the default setting good enough and tweaking not necessary?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't use AI Suite, its fan settings turned my CPU fan off a few scary times last year. That and its 5 way tuning put an overclock on my CPU I didn't really want.

i think you could use MSI afterburner for card, that seems to have a good name, even if it doesn't match the Asus card.

I only use gpu tweak to raise fan speed in summer as though its not needed in winter, the extra exhaust helps cool rest of PC in summer.

I don't know what card you have or what games you play. I never felt need to change my cards settings beyond setting a minimum fan speed. Strix default is no fan till 40c, a little warm for my liking.

Sunnai

Commendable
May 28, 2016
So i've uninstalled gpu tweak and restarted my computer. Still no luck. I suppose it wasn't about gpu tweak after all.
Is there a more standard way to solve this problem?

It's only been 2 weeks since I but my PC together. Here are my specs: Intel i5 6600k, Asus Z170-AR, Asus Strix GTX 970, 8gb Kinston HyperX DDR4*2, Intel 540series SSD 120gb

Sunnai

Commendable
May 28, 2016

Thanks man, that did the trick.
The value on my machine was 1 for NumThumbnail.
Previously I checked on it, but didn't know it was the threshold of previews.

Cheers.

Colif

Win 11 Master
guess you can add gpu tweak on again now.

do you have a storage drive as 120gb ssd is only just big enough for a boot drive and not a lot more. I am only using 50gb but that wouldn't leave a lot of space if I had half what I have

Your pc looks like what I would have got one year later if I had waited.

Sunnai

Commendable
May 28, 2016

actually I also have a seagate 500gb HDD
the 120 sdd is my boot drive

so I guess ai suite can do most things gpu tweak can do except for the fan stuff u mentioned earlier, right?
if so, I would like to just use ai suite to keep things simple
plz correct if i'm wrong

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't think AI suite can do the overclocking and small adjustments to the Graphics card that GPU Tweak allows, unless they have added it in last year. Ai Suite is for the motherboard mostly, and GPU Tweak looks after the card. I don't know if AI Suite can control the GPU, I don't remember seeing those functions in it

Sunnai

Commendable
May 28, 2016

I guess the feature's new then
if u go into TPU from the main menu there would be a tab for GPU
it let u tune gpu clock, memory clock, gpu voltage, and gpu targetpower
it also let u control the curve of ur gpu fan with a temp-fan percentage chart
that's all there is to do with the gpu in ai suite

TRENDING THREADS