No input signal Asus AG32C only with DisplayPort after new 1080 gpu install

5abivt

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
I wanted to make a post I’ve been searching for two days trying everything and figured it may be a unique system and this might help someone in the future if I post the solution.

So here’s the cpu setup:

Monitor : msi ac32c (1080p 165hz)
Asus P6T Deluxe
i7-920 cpu
12gb Mushkin ram

Only changes **

MSi armor gtx 1080 (swapped for an amd 6970)

**PROBLEM**

So the only change was the gpu. When booting using the display port cable (have 2 confirmed working on other desktop) I can see the boot screen and Asus screen and prompts to get into bios and can enter bios. Right when the screen goes dark and the windows logo should appear .. it doesn’t. On the monitor I get ‘no input signal’.

Booting with hdmi to a tv works and booting to the msi monitor with hdmi it also works but capped at 144hz. Booting to the tv and plugging in the monitor with display port works and both will be on and remain on. If I unplug the tv and reboot same issue on restart with the monitor.

Any input is appreciated!

** been reading about the display port 20th pin etc. I do have 2 higher quality cables on order to see if perhaps lower end cables are the issue.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Possibly it's the DP cable.

I'm running a 1070 with the same system on a 144Hz screen (Original supplied cable) with no problems, so don't think it's hardware related.

Did you try with just the Displayport cable connected? An Hdmi cable, even if connected only to PC and left dangle on the other end can cause display issues. Have you gone through the input sources as well in the monitor menu?

Your monitor didn't come with a DP cable?

5abivt

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
Appreciate the input !

Psu is 800w bfg. I believe the 6970 draws 80 or so W so more so I figured it shouldn’t be an issue as it ran fine for a long time thus far.

One of the two cables is new and came with the monitor. Doesn’t seem the highest quality but I can’t imagine they would Include a cable that wouldn’t work.

What I did last night is boot with the tv and hdmi and just plug the display port and monitor after it reaches the desktop and unplug the hdmi (and back into my iptv). I gamed fine for like 6-7 hours straight. Before I turned in I did restart just to see and same thing .. where the windows logo should appear it remains dark and I get no input signal.

5abivt

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
Tried this morning with the monitor power off. Same no input signal. Have to restart with hdmi into monitor or hdmi into tv and then put the display port cable in and remove the hdmi and works fine. Just always goes black right when the windows logo is supposed to show. Will be trying to update the bios today not sure if there’s much more I can do except try the new cables.

5abivt

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
I’ve checked that. I made sure the body was not hitting something preventing a good connection. Thing is after a boot with hdmi the cable runs and works perfect. I’ve been playing for hours now and it’s great

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Have you tried running ddu in safemode to wipe old drivers, Amd or Nvidia, before installing Nvidia?

Im not entirely sure when gpu drivers begin to load but guess around Windows logo is close enough. Could be a driver issue. Run ddu and try driver 391.35 and the latest drivers.

If Windows 10, try Win + P to toggle multi screen. Press it a few times so it toggles through the different modes.

Cables supplied with monitor's are usually certified. The cable runs fine as you said, i suspect it may be something else. If the cable was improper, running 144/165Hz would have issues like flickering or not run at all.

-----

Bios updates if available could help.

Try troubleshoot Nvidia drivers

If monitor has freesync options in the monitor menu, try disable if there's an option.

5abivt

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
Appreciate it. I ran the amd clean utility to remove drivers and then installed the card and then installed the Nvidia driver. I’m admittedly not too familiar with uninstalling drivers etc but I’m pretty sure I can do what you suggested and that’s to boot in safe mode and remove everything. I’m assuming ddu is a driver removing app?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Thats correct just a graphics driver removal. It explains itself well, just follow its directions. Not sure if you have any Amd drivers left but from memory can choose to clean Amd gpu related drivers along with Nvidia. Think will have to do each separately.

5abivt

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
Well just thought I’d update the thread. I purchased a really high quality looking cable as well as a highly reccomended one .. pc won’t boot with either.
One thing that does work is I turn the monitor off, boot the pc then turn it on after 10-15 seconds. It will show the msi logo and then the login windows screen. Hasn’t been a big deal to just turn it on manually so I’ve been doing that. Will be building a newer budget build pc soon so hopefully with the new build and newer mobo and bios and components (i5-8400 etc) it won’t have the same issue.

5abivt

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
It has the original bios. I did .. after this issue try to update the bios. I tried on a usb and the desktop and followed a YouTube tutorial but I kept getting errors. Do you think the bios can make a difference ? I will try it again