No More Facebook or Twitter on Xbox 360 Dashboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
Honestly, with my tablet, PC, and smartphone, why in the hell would I look at Facebook on my Xbox? Then again, at least with Facebook I can somewhat understand because you can see your friends' gamertags, BUT Twitter.....that's just retarded.

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
Imagine if MS utilized a new method of typing with a controller to make it a not so horrible experience. For example, a lot of games (especially FPS) use a kind of HUD where you angle the stick to choose a weapon. Imagine if you could use that method to type.

Angle the left stick up for an A, angle it up+right diagonally for a B, right for a C, down-right for a D, etc.
A-H on left stick
G-O on right stick
P-W on pad
X is X, Y is Y, Z is... whatever. Who uses Z anyway.

Would take adjusting, but would be WAY better than scrolling to each letter.

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Still the apps was handy. So what's the point of removing them? They do work, so why remove something that works? THe sucky thing of microsoft, is that they introduce a feature to later remove it. Its pointless to get attached to anything Microsoft makes.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
[citation][nom]shqtth[/nom]Still the apps was handy. So what's the point of removing them? They do work, so why remove something that works? THe sucky thing of microsoft, is that they introduce a feature to later remove it. Its pointless to get attached to anything Microsoft makes.[/citation]

They put in IE. Go to twitter.com. Problem solved.

billgatez

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Is IE free for xbox? Or is MS going to require that you have XB Llike with so many outer things.
Before people say just get XBL. I don't use my xbox enough.

G

A group of boys and girls ran away after meeting using the xbox. Apparently it was not the first time.
One of the parents was quoted as saying, I thought I was keeping her off Facebook.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
[citation][nom]therabiddeer[/nom]Imagine if MS utilized a new method of typing with a controller to make it a not so horrible experience. [/citation]You can use a USB keyboard on the 360 for typing. Not sure if it worked in Facebook/Twitter though

[citation][nom]soldier2013[/nom]Can't believe people still buy the crapbox lol.[/citation]People are going to buy the PS3 over the Xbox over Twitter? Man, I remember when game devices were used for playing games

chibiwings

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
when i saw this article and checked my xbox 360, it made me realized that i downloaded it ages ago.. but i don't even know what it looks like when logged on it.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]chibiwings[/nom]when i saw this article and checked my xbox 360, it made me realized that i downloaded it ages ago.. but i don't even know what it looks like when logged on it.[/citation]

Never even downloaded it. Don't have a facebook and the only reason I have a twitter account was so that I could participate in a Cnet giveaway about 2 or 3 years back.

I also don't game online terribly often, don't use Netflix hardly at all (both on PC and Xbox), don't use Youtube on Xbox or pretty much any other online service.

Honestly I have a Gold Account because of the Family pack as both my brother and sister occasionally use the service and it made sense as well as the odd gaming binge here and there.

EDIT: Honestly my Xbox doesn't get a terribly large amount of use if I'm honest, at least not from me. I have a single friend that has a functioning Xbox and my brother has one so I occasionally buy games specifically with the intent to share them, either locally or by lending them the game.

Let's be honest here, PC gaming has a lot of things but what it really doesn't have is local coop in major titles like Borderlands 2. Sure you could juryrig it by running more than one instance but that is so astronomically harder than pressing A on the Splitscreen button in the main menu.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
[citation][nom]guardianangel42[/nom]Sure you could juryrig it by running more than one instance but that is so astronomically harder than pressing A on the Splitscreen button in the main menu.[/citation]Ooh. Multimonitor

Scar89

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
That's the problem with these limited closed pc's. Any app/program you were using could be wiped away never to be seen again in an update, regardless of whether you liked it or not. Not that Facebook or Twitter would be that handy on a console, unless you don't have a phone or pc nearby.

epobirs

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
[citation][nom]therabiddeer[/nom]Imagine if MS utilized a new method of typing with a controller to make it a not so horrible experience. For example, a lot of games (especially FPS) use a kind of HUD where you angle the stick to choose a weapon. Imagine if you could use that method to type.Angle the left stick up for an A, angle it up+right diagonally for a B, right for a C, down-right for a D, etc.A-H on left stickG-O on right stickP-W on padX is X, Y is Y, Z is... whatever. Who uses Z anyway.Would take adjusting, but would be WAY better than scrolling to each letter.[/citation]

Microsoft already offers a mini-keyboard that attaches neatly to the controller for chat functions. Works fine with the apps. Far more effective than learning an elaborate technique for text entry that doesn't translate to other platforms.

With the addition of a full function browser it was redundant to have dedicated apps for web sites like Twitter. I'd rather Microsoft invest in making that browser the best it can be within the Xbox's resources than worry about any one one site. The payoff from the browser is far higher than any one app.

Status
Not open for further replies.