no offence to beginners

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
G

i think it's nice to help someone out. Other people help me out too, so why shouldn't i help someone else just because he is a "beginner"?

I also read a lot of faq's and stuff, and it takes time, and you often have to know a lot about the topic. So, a single question is often a lot faster!

Anyway, i think the forum is good the way it is now...

Ciao!

G

My favorite quote when it comes to instruction "there are no stupid questions... only stupid answers"

Forum is for exchange of knowledge. To an extent this includes instruction but this should really be for Q&A and discussion rather than long discourses about theory and basics. Most would be better served by existing documents as in my experience, it's very difficult to shift between explaining something to a technically competent individual and one that is just starting out. It becomes very easy to gloss over important points assuming your audience knows what you're talking about or to bore them to tears with too much detail. For basics people should refer to existing docs except for clarification. The point was already made but I agree with it, they get the full and (hopefully) correct information. It's too easy to leave holes in their knowledge if you're trying to teach them basics.

PS: I do training for tech support, mostly experienced techs but also occasionally new hires. It's a BIG shift in how to you approach it and present information.

"The answer is not in your hair."
"I'd rather jump in the lava than be fragged by you."