Question No output from 2060 Super and VGA debug LED lit up

Oct 5, 2024
Hey everyone, apologies if this is the wrong place to post this!

Yesterday during some gaming, both of my monitors suddenly went black then displaying no signal before entering standby mode. After restarting my pc several times and unplugging and plugging back in the DP cables, the PC eventually came back on. Though immediately after I loaded back into the game, the exact same thing occured and my PC has not booted up with that graphics card again.

During both of those occassions, my PC was still on and getting power. My motherboard lights were on, all of the case fans spinning as well as the CPU fan, more importantly my GPU's fans were spinning and the Gigabyte RGB logo was on. Looking at the motherboard debug LEDs, only the VGA LED was lit. I immediately tried using different DisplayPort and HDMI cables into my PC with no success, and confirmed the monitors were not the issue by connecting my PS5 to both monitors. Next I went and gave my PC a good dusting since it had admittedly been a while since I had done, hoping maybe something had overheated. Of course that did nothing. I tried my 2060 Super in the 2nd PCIe slot on my B450 Tomahawk, which yielded the same result. Finally I dug out my 10 year old PC and slotted in my old GTX 970 card, into BOTH PCIe slots. Doing so caused the PC to boot with no issues whatsoever, 970 getting power and the VGA light was gone. I tried the 2060 in both PCIe slots again after this with no success. Currently using the 970 so I can use my PC to look for solutions.

I built my current system in 2019 and have never had any major issues, though I'd say on a handful of occassions in the past 5 years I've had a similar issue. Both monitors losing signal simultaneously, though restarting the monitors and/or PC would fix it immediately.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm pretty much at a loss, I'm surprised that this card barely lasted 5 years before 'dying' like this.

Thanks

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

I'm leaning on your PSU being the root of the issue, try and source(borrow, not buy) a reliably built 650W unit from a friend or neighbor and see if the issue persists.

Oct 5, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

I'm leaning on your PSU being the root of the issue, try and source(borrow, not buy) a reliably built 650W unit from a friend or neighbor and see if the issue persists.
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
CPU cooler: Stock ^
Motherboard: B450 Tomahawk Max
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz
SSD/HDD: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2, 2x WD Blue 1TB SSD
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super OC 8GB
PSU: Corsair TX550M from Late 2019
Chassis: Fractal Design Meshify C
Monitor: Acer 1080p 144HZ, Asus 1440p 60HZ (unsure on models specifically).

Current BIOS Version listed as 'American Megatrends Inc. 3.50, 07/11/2019'

Thanks for the reply! I see, I can probably go to a friends house and test it with their PSU in a few days. In the mean time do you think there could be any other causes to this problem outside of the PSU?