[SOLVED] No output/ POST fail from RX 57000XT

santyx

Prominent
Apr 30, 2020
Hi

I was using Gigabyte RX 5700 xt oc for more than 6 months. Cpu is Ryzen 5 3500 and Psu is Corsair gs600. Mobo is B450 Tomahawk Max.

It was working fine until today. Now there is no signal from its DP or HDMI out. Usually when I start the PC the fans run loud at full speed for a couple of seconds before settling down. Now the fans are continuously running at full speed. I tried the GPU in another PCI slot, it didn't help. Tried tricks like using single ram stick, removing all hard drives, USB devices, resetting Bios battery, still nothing.

The Mobo has debug LEDs of which VGA is lit, indicating some problem with graphics.

Monitor is MSI MAG241C. Tested it with another source it's working fine.

One more thing, couple of tiny white LEDs on the GPU used to flash while playing games. I read that it could be power supply issue but I never had any problems in gaming for 6 months. The Psu is over 7 yrs old, could it have caused this sudden failure? Or the GPU was defective?

I believe the CPU has no integrated graphics so I am unable to test for other problems. No spare GPU either.

Gigabyte service centres are closed tor two weeks due to lockdown.

Is there anything I can do further to get this fixed? Appreciate any help.

Solution
Thanks for the PSU thread will check it out.

The GPU is under warranty. So do you suggest I buy a new PSU and test it before I RMA it?

All other components are working fine so I am not sure if the PSU is not able to drive just the GPU anymore.

Due to covid lockdown here all service centres are closed for atleast another two weeks. Will have to wait.

I'd personally get a new PSU anyway, so if you have some time before your warranty expires, it may save you some time by eliminating the PSU as the direct issue.

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
Honestly? It could be both. You already tried whatever i was gonna suggest. It's either one of the two. Given the current gpu market and the fact you at some point would definitely need to replace that psu, i would buy a new psu altogether. Look into this https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/psu-tier-list-psucultists.3624094/ . Depending on your budget, look either tier a or b.

Hoping it is the psu, because if it's not youd have to spend WAY more to get a gpu nowadays. Can't you just bring it to a repair shop and let them test what piece of hardware is faulty?

Reactions: santyx

santyx

Prominent
Apr 30, 2020
Honestly? It could be both. You already tried whatever i was gonna suggest. It's either one of the two. Given the current gpu market and the fact you at some point would definitely need to replace that psu, i would buy a new psu altogether. Look into this https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/psu-tier-list-psucultists.3624094/ . Depending on your budget, look either tier a or b.

Hoping it is the psu, because if it's not youd have to spend WAY more to get a gpu nowadays. Can't you just bring it to a repair shop and let them test what piece of hardware is faulty?

The GPU is under warranty. So do you suggest I buy a new PSU and test it before I RMA it?

All other components are working fine so I am not sure if the PSU is not able to drive just the GPU anymore.

Due to covid lockdown here all service centres are closed for atleast another two weeks. Will have to wait.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

I'd personally get a new PSU anyway, so if you have some time before your warranty expires, it may save you some time by eliminating the PSU as the direct issue.

Reactions: santyx and norcalsc
Solution

santyx

Prominent
Apr 30, 2020
I agree RMA is a long and possibly a painful process. Will try to test the GPU on a different rig at a repair shop or at a friend's place. Thanks. Meanwhile if someone else solved a similar issue pls do pitch in.

santyx

Prominent
Apr 30, 2020
Hi

I have ordered a new PSU and it's getting delivered in a couple of days. Do you think I can safely test the new PSU with the GPU assuming the later has failed. Just want to be sure the failed GPU wouldn't damage the new PSU!

santyx

Prominent
Apr 30, 2020
I measured the voltage on the PCI e power cables. I get 11.56v on the supply pins. Does it mean the PSU is fine? Will change it anyway but wondering if PSU caused this problem in first place..

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I measured the voltage on the PCI e power cables. I get 11.56v on the supply pins. Does it mean the PSU is fine? Will change it anyway but wondering if PSU caused this problem in first place..

It's definitely on the low side. Not out of ATX's 5% tolerance -- they're very liberal here with what is technically allowed -- but would definitely get some negative words and a serious downgrade in a review, which will generally want to see within 2% rather than the 4% or so here.