[SOLVED] No performance gain on my overclocked GPU in games

Dec 5, 2018
Hey!

I am very new to overclocking and I recently overclocked my GPU (a GTX 1080 Founder's Edition) using the MSI Afterburner and the MSI Kombustor as a benchmarking app. When I run the benchmark I can definitely see some improvement in frames comparing to the non-overclocked version of my GPU, but in-game there is absolutely no difference in frames than before overclocking (and yes, I am always loading the overclocked profile, and it does load because I can hear the fan going mad).

Could anyone help me fix this? Also i am using an i7-7700 non-k for anyone wondering, so I don't think there are any bottlenecks occurring.

Solution
There are always bottlenecks. What game and resolution are you running? What settings? If you want to see an improvement in FPS you need to make sure your GPU IS the bottleneck by increasing the settings beyond what the GPU is capable of. Then you can easily see differences. If you don't then something else is wrong of there really is a bottleneck either in the game engine/CPU or some other factor. V-sync, or G-Sync, would more or less limit you to a set FPS so if you are running that, then you should increase the graphics settings.

Often with Pascal keeping the card cooler is more important than going for the highest clock speeds. You will get more consistency if you don't run it on the ragged edge of stability due to temperature.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
There are always bottlenecks. What game and resolution are you running? What settings? If you want to see an improvement in FPS you need to make sure your GPU IS the bottleneck by increasing the settings beyond what the GPU is capable of. Then you can easily see differences. If you don't then something else is wrong of there really is a bottleneck either in the game engine/CPU or some other factor. V-sync, or G-Sync, would more or less limit you to a set FPS so if you are running that, then you should increase the graphics settings.

Often with Pascal keeping the card cooler is more important than going for the highest clock speeds. You will get more consistency if you don't run it on the ragged edge of stability due to temperature.

Solution
Dec 5, 2018

The card is cool enough. However, from what I can see is that the CPU takes up about 32-39% but the card takes only about a maximum of 29%. Also I am running TF2 at 280-290 constant fps at a 1920x1080 resolution and with V-Sync turned off

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

That your CPU and GPU usage is so low would suggest to me some sort of frame rate limit within the game itself.

Overclocking would only be useful if your frame rates were low even though your CPU and/or GPU were running at 90-100%

As things stand currently, you'd be wasting your time doing any overclocking/overvolting.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
TF2 is an older title. That is likely the limit of the main thread of the application and your CPU. Don't look at overall percentage of usage, you want to look at the individual cores. If you are consistently seeing a single core reach 100% then that is as fast as it is going to go.

Threading in games is still highly dependent on a primary thread that manages the rest of them. Some of the latest games are starting to support more multi-threading as quad cores and better are becoming much more mainstream. Back in 2007 that was a certainty as most computers were still single core. I think I bought my first dual core right around then.

Dec 5, 2018
Update: I have changed a couple of things here and there and everything seems to be a lot more stable. The fps in kombustor is better, and I have also tried the GTA V benchmark (2 times without overclocking, 2 times with overclocking just to be sure) and the differences are clear, I get significantly more fps now, due to it being more stable I guess.