Question No POST + Boot loop, but only after transferring to a new case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 27, 2023
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5600X
CPU cooler: Stock
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 GAMING X V2 ATX
Ram: HyperX Fury DDR4
SSD/HDD: 2x WD BLUE HDD, 1x SanDisk 120GB SSD, 1x Samsung 970 EVO Plus (boot drive)
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2060 6GB
PSU: EVGA GOLD 850G2 (bought brand new in 2016, lol)
Chassis: Fractal Meshify 2 Compact
Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G5

Hi guys - im in a bit of a complicated situation!! I decided i wanted a new case as my old SPEC-01 was looking beat up, Yesterday i transferred all of my (fully working) parts into the new case, only for it to totally not work. the original state it was in was:
-the rear case fan would power up
-the cpu and gpu fans would also,
-however the front case fans would not. and it would not post but reboot once and stay on for a long time.
now however, ive tried removing and re-plugging the power cables in (yes, including the CPU cable) and it just reboots every 5-10 seconds. is this a time where troubleshooting is possible? my monitor receives a signal from the PC on both DP and HDMI (mobo and GPU).

i have tried everything on the stickied list to no avail. im suspecting it could be the RAM since starting the system up without it yields absolutely no change?

its worth noting that my PSU, RAM and SATA SSD are all over 7 years old... is there a chance that one of them died while i was transferring parts? the rest of the parts are from the past 18 months-2 years. im concerned ive been careless with the electronics elsewhere too.

any help would be massively appreciated, feeling quite dumb right now!

Jun 27, 2023
Try with just your boot drive connected - not the other disks. Try 1 RAM stick at a time in the appropriate slot. Make sure your cooler is plugged into the appropriate header on the motherboard.
thanks, but i have done all those unfortunately. im starting to suspect its the PSU considering its 7 years old. ive ordered one of those motherboard speakers and it should be arriving tomorrow so hopefully it will tell me whats up!

edit - my boot drive is an M.2 - is this a problem?

Jun 27, 2023
I don't think your M.2 should be a problem. To be clear, you cannot manually (spam DEL key) get into the BIOS, correct?

Do you have a spare PSU to try? Can you borrow one from a friend?
would this be possible even without the... post-POST screen? (lol) with a reboot every few sec? ill give it a try in a sec.

and no, unfortunately not. if i was still in my flat it'd be a different story, but what do you think the likelihood of the PSU being at fault is?

thanks for your help.

Jun 27, 2023
just to update, i tried with the DEL spam. didnt work, tried HDMI in both my GPU and motherboard ports.

ive just remembered, i did a CMOS reset, but when i bought the motherboard i had to flash its BIOS in order to use my newer CPU... will the CMOS procedure have undone this? :confused:

NanoSuit3

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2017
I know this may seem ironic but this has happened to me before. Took a premade system I loved and transferred it to another case just to find it wasn't working after only it was just power cycle booting over and over. Thought it turned out to be either not enough power cuz of all the periphs; no liquid cooling cuz dat what we be doing for we gamers (which I did anyways after cuz who uses stock cooling these days lol) or something just nicked a piece of it off or scratch and caused the whole thing to just kablewee. Turned out to be a burnt out CMOS Batt; as the day before transfer my power went out during a storm right after I updated and did the transfer so . . . . . just sayin . . . maybe . . . Mobo replacement?

Reactions: odetoboy
Jun 27, 2023
I know this may seem ironic but this has happened to me before. Took a premade system I loved and transferred it to another case just to find it wasn't working after only it was just power cycle booting over and over. Thought it turned out to be either not enough power cuz of all the periphs; no liquid cooling cuz dat what we be doing for we gamers (which I did anyways after cuz who uses stock cooling these days lol) or something just nicked a piece of it off or scratch and caused the whole thing to just kablewee. Turned out to be a burnt out CMOS Batt; as the day before transfer my power went out during a storm right after I updated and did the transfer so . . . . . just sayin . . . maybe . . . Mobo replacement?
i sure as hell hope not! i only bough the thing last January… :(

Reactions: NanoSuit3
Jun 27, 2023
Well I got nothing cuz I've ran all possible outcomes besides the obvious ones which always ruled out but besides that; OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOF
thank you anyway, hopefully i can diagnose the problem with the mobo speaker later. if not then oof indeed but its probably the motherboard. i feel like i wasnt careful enough with it

Jun 27, 2023
unfortunately my motherboard speaker doesnt beep when i turn my pc on, so i still have no idea what the hell it could be. this is SO annoying!

Jun 27, 2023
my conclusion: im going to buy a new motherboard off amazon and receive it tomorrow. if it still doesnt work then its probably my PSU so ill return my motherboard and buy a PSU instead. but the fact that the same thing happened to @NanoSuit3 as me and there is still some power going through just screams a mobo issue to a rookie at least.

NanoSuit3

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2017
my conclusion: im going to buy a new motherboard off amazon and receive it tomorrow. if it still doesnt work then its probably my PSU so ill return my motherboard and buy a PSU instead. but the fact that the same thing happened to @NanoSuit3 as me and there is still some power going through just screams a mobo issue to a rookie at least.
That was 10 years ago and I was unaware of anything whatsoever about systemics LOL!!!

Reactions: odetoboy
Jun 27, 2023
right i have an update. i finally got my motherboard today - because its a GIGABYTE B550, i have to flash the bios in order for it and the CPU to recognise each other exist, but the flash is not working properly. i press the button and the USB stick lights up for a solid 3 seconds and then switches off again.

now im really thinking its the PSU thats the problem and not the motherboard. thoughts? its literally just the motherboard and CPU that are installed and powered on this breadboarded system.

edit; i was wrong! the new mobo seems to have done the trick. i wonder what happened!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.