Apr 25, 2017
CPU: AMD 6100
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3
Ram: 8GB
SSD/HDD: Samsung SSD
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 210 & Radeon RX 460
PSU: Corsair RM750
No UEFI

Firstly I have a little computer technical knowledge but not a lot and I hope you guys will go easy on me - I know you are very helpful.

My SSD was getting full so I fitted a new one (The new one keeps on hanging but I hope to sort that later when I have sorted this problem).
Using the old SSD:
When I try to enter BIOS to alter the boot order I found that I cannot.
Though I have tried pressing the escape key ( and F12 - for boot menu) I cannot get to BIOS.
I have cleared CMOS (5min, pressed on/off switch during this), removed and replaced the battery. No luck.

I have tried to boot from a USB stick and no luck - just a black screen.

I have disconnected all hard drives and it still won't go to BIOS - just a black screen when I switch on.

Now, with the old SSD in, the computer works fine except I cannot get to BIOS.

I am reluctant to try to get the new SSD working before I sort out the BIOS problem.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help.

Reactions: danderson3333
So sorry
100% right - Del key (not Escape) - Black Screen and nothing.
Do you have multiple screens attached?
Does your system has multiple video outputs? You should try connecting your screen on ever video out you have.
Also if you use a TV or something that can't display the low resolution of the bios then you won't see anything, but most screens would give you a message in the line of unsupported resolution or something.

Ken_3806

Honorable
Apr 25, 2017
Do you have multiple screens attached?
Does your system has multiple video outputs? You should try connecting your screen on ever video out you have.
Also if you use a TV or something that can't display the low resolution of the bios then you won't see anything, but most screens would give you a message in the line of unsupported resolution or something.
I have 2 video outputs with a separate screen attached to each.

Ken_3806

Honorable
Apr 25, 2017
You are a STAR!!!!!! Thank you so much. Switched the video outputs and straight into BIOS.
Is there a reason why? (obviously there is but always trying to increase my knowledge).
Now to sort out the new SSD problem.
Again thank you.

You are a STAR!!!!!! Thank you so much. Switched the video outputs and straight into BIOS.
Is there a reason why? (obviously there is but always trying to increase my knowledge).
Now to sort out the new SSD problem.
Again thank you.
The bios has settings that will initialise either the pci or agp or integrated or whatever GPU first, and then each GPU can have settings in their control panel on where to output, they tell you in the manual what the main output is and you have to enable dual or multi output to get anything on the other outputs.
So only the card that is set up in bios as the first will display the bios and only on the port that is set up in the GPU bios everything else will only be enabled as soon as windows starts.

Just trying all the outputs is much easier and faster than searching through manuals to maybe find out what output should work.