Question No POST & CPU light is on ?

Jan 4, 2023
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700X
Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assasin 120 SE
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S Tomahawk Max Wifi (BIOS ready for 5000 series)
GPU: Gigabyte Gaming OC Rev 2.0 GeForce RTX 3070
Ram: Teamgroup T-Force Vulcan Z 8GB x 4 (have tried with just 1 stick in)
PSU: Corsair HX750 80+Platinum

First boot before case install, it cycled through the EZ debug lights 1-2 times before POST, but I think this is normal for this mobo. Test went fine, temps were low and stable, all memory/ssd detected...finished install.

Working fine for a few hours. Updated windows, debloated windows, installed Steam and Firefox and as I was importing my bookmarks I lost display and noticed the mobo ez debug CPU light was a constant red and only shutting down the PSU would turn off the PC.

When I power on, all the RGB on GPU, case, and mobo come on and fans spin. Debug light will go CPU red, then it will cycle the debug lights (like during first boot and cmos reset), but eventually land on solid red CPU. At this point i can only shut down PSU to turn off ***except for the time i tried to boot with no GPU, that time it went red CPU light to white VGA light and it let me power down with power button.

Tried to go through the "No POST" checklist, but can't do some of the last ones.
  • trying with only 1 stick of RAM
  • trying with no GPU (CPUlight>VGA light>only time it allowed me to power down with power button)
  • resetting CMOS
  • Reseating all cables in mobo and PSU
  • removing and inspecting cooler, thermal paste coverage was fine
  • removing CPU, pins were fine and no debris in mobo receptacle
  • reinstall of CPU/cooler/gpu/cables

The issue persists and unfortunately I do not have compatible spare parts to test with.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums and a Happy New Year, newcomer!

Can you recall which BIOS version you were on for your motherboard prior to the issue cropping up?

With one stick which slot did you populate on the motherboard? When using 2 sticks which slots did you populate on said motherboard?

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/MAGX570STOMAHAWKMAXWIFI_TORPEDOMAX.pdf
^
According to your motherboard manual, you have a feature known as Flash BIOS Button, listed on Page 38. See if you can gain functionality using that feature with the latest BIOS version equipped on a pen drive following instructions as said in the manual.

Reactions: RodroX
Jan 4, 2023

Can you recall which BIOS version you were on for your motherboard prior to the issue cropping up?

With one stick which slot did you populate on the motherboard? When using 2 sticks which slots did you populate on said motherboard?

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/MAGX570STOMAHAWKMAXWIFI_TORPEDOMAX.pdf
^
According to your motherboard manual, you have a feature known as Flash BIOS Button, listed on Page 38. See if you can gain functionality using that feature with the latest BIOS version equipped on a pen drive following instructions as said in the manual.
Thanks for the reply. I can't recall the bios version unfortunately other than the bos stated it supported (and it did for a few hours) the 5700x. I am looking for an old usb to use as MSI are apparently quite picky with the drives used for BIOS flashing. Will try the bios flash when i find a drive that works.
For the Ram i have tried all 4 slots, slots 2 and 4 and for single stick slots 2 and then slot 1 just in case it was slot 2 that was the issue.

Lutfij

Titan
Might want to go along with what's stated on the motherboard's PCB. slots 1 through 4 can mean a number of combinations depending on which side you start from. A2 B2 and so forth would the appropriate method of describing the slots(per the motherboard manual). You would probably find it useful to find a USB drive that has an LED on it to help show if it's in use when the BIOS flashing process begins and transits to completion.

Jan 4, 2023
Might want to go along with what's stated on the motherboard's PCB. slots 1 through 4 can mean a number of combinations depending on which side you start from. A2 B2 and so forth would the appropriate method of describing the slots(per the motherboard manual). You would probably find it useful to find a USB drive that has an LED on it to help show if it's in use when the BIOS flashing process begins and transits to completion.
I have the board back on the mobo box with just the 1 ram in A2, gpu and cpu/cooler installed and it actually POST-ed today for about 2 seconds (saw MSI MAG logo) then lost display and got the red CPU light again.
Still looking for a usb that works, i also saw it likes really small storage like under 8GB so thats refined my search a bit.

Jan 4, 2023

^
So it continues to post for a about 2 second (mag logo) then die.

I just did a BIOS Flash to 7D54v14, flash went as expected, flashed for about 7 minutes then restarted. Did not fix the issue unfortunately.

i tried taking out the 4pin on the cpu and just use the 8 pin for the cpu cable (tried both cpu cables) and it would not post. I put back the 4 pin and not only did it post it booted, I saw my dektop and then it died.
This may all be a coincidence thought because i just tried again and it didnt post despite just booting a minute ago lol.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
If below all properly done is it likely that you somehow have a dead cpu, would rma and see if a new one resolves the problem.

Tried to go through the "No POST" checklist, but can't do some of the last ones.
  • trying with only 1 stick of RAM
  • trying with no GPU (CPUlight>VGA light>only time it allowed me to power down with power button)
  • resetting CMOS
  • Reseating all cables in mobo and PSU
  • removing and inspecting cooler, thermal paste coverage was fine
  • removing CPU, pins were fine and no debris in mobo receptacle
  • reinstall of CPU/cooler/gpu/cables

Could also be motherboard, is up to you to decide whether you rma that one as well.

Reactions: UrNixed
Jan 4, 2023
If below all properly done is it likely that you somehow have a dead cpu, would rma and see if a new one resolves the problem.

Could also be motherboard, is up to you to decide whether you rma that one as well.
took it to a repair shop to diagnose as i didnt have any parts and it was the mobo

Reactions: Vic 40