[SOLVED] No Post on rebuild

Derden

Honorable
Dec 28, 2014
I took an older machine with a z97 pro and Intel i7 4990k CPU apart yo put it in a new case. All was working prior. I cleaned out all dust, new case, redid all fans, repasted + same corsair cooler. Then no post. Fans, RGB, all goes on, then get code on mobo that indicates CPU isn't doing its thing. I'm assuming that since I am getting power (checked PSU on another build that is eliminated from the equation), and the mobo appears to be getting power and doing its job thus far, am i to conclude it is in fact something with the CPU? I am certain that i seated it correctly, and the pasting job was meticulous and impossible for me to have gotten any paste in the socket, etc. I can just take it all apart (likely) but am sure i would just go in circles as I am very likely to find what i expect (all is in place). Any thoughts on this? Am I not seeing something? Can a CPU just "go bad" if it has nothing to do with the install (wrong way, pins, paste, etc.)? Or does this seem like it could be another cause that i am not considering?

Solution
I took an older machine with a z97 pro and Intel i7 4990k CPU apart yo put it in a new case. All was working prior. I cleaned out all dust, new case, redid all fans, repasted + same corsair cooler. Then no post. Fans, RGB, all goes on, then get code on mobo that indicates CPU isn't doing its thing. I'm assuming that since I am getting power (checked PSU on another build that is eliminated from the equation), and the mobo appears to be getting power and doing its job thus far, am i to conclude it is in fact something with the CPU? I am certain that i seated it correctly, and the pasting job was meticulous and impossible for me to have gotten any paste in the socket, etc. I can just take it all apart (likely) but am sure i would just...
I took an older machine with a z97 pro and Intel i7 4990k CPU apart yo put it in a new case. All was working prior. I cleaned out all dust, new case, redid all fans, repasted + same corsair cooler. Then no post. Fans, RGB, all goes on, then get code on mobo that indicates CPU isn't doing its thing. I'm assuming that since I am getting power (checked PSU on another build that is eliminated from the equation), and the mobo appears to be getting power and doing its job thus far, am i to conclude it is in fact something with the CPU? I am certain that i seated it correctly, and the pasting job was meticulous and impossible for me to have gotten any paste in the socket, etc. I can just take it all apart (likely) but am sure i would just go in circles as I am very likely to find what i expect (all is in place). Any thoughts on this? Am I not seeing something? Can a CPU just "go bad" if it has nothing to do with the install (wrong way, pins, paste, etc.)? Or does this seem like it could be another cause that i am not considering?
Make it smaller.
Psu
Mobo
Cpu/hsf
0ne stick of ram

NOTHING else connected......test

If it still fails try a different ram stick.....try a different ram slot.
Move the mobo on to a piece of cardboard.....test.

Solution