No Post or Beep with GPU inserted

Kencey

Reputable
Dec 2, 2014
Today i was browsing and using Photoshop. Suddently i got a Gray Screen and the PC froze.
I rebooted and nothing happened, no beep, no post screen.

What i did:

- reseated the gpu
- tested on other slots from the mobo
- made sure the psu cables are correctly connected to the gpu
- reseted bios by removing battery for 5 min
None of this helped.

Then i removed the GPU completely and connected to the on-board card, i got 1 beep and everything is working fine.

Is this a faulty GPU or PSU?
I know, is probably the GPU, but i was thinking... maybe the PSU is not giving enough power to the GPU ? Is this even possible ?

I don't have another GPU to test, but i have tested with a very old GPU that doesn't even require PSU cables, (Geforce 8400GS), and it worked fine.

So, what do you guys think ?

Update:
Here is the list of the parts/brands:

GIGABYTE MSI Z97X-UD3H-BK
I5 4690K
8GB RAM CORSAIR
MSI RADEON 280X
PSU CORSAIR 650W

Solution

So that should rule out a PCIe slot issue. However the card you tested with is much lower power use so it may be a PSU issue or issue with the video card. Only real way to find out which is to test the card in another system, a different PSU in yours, or a card with a similar power draw in your system. Really the only way to know for sure if it's card or not is try the card in another computer with a good PSU. If card does not work there, bad card. Any other test will...

Does that test card work normally in another system or was it just something you took out a drawer? You did not list any system specs, what is the brand/models of the parts?

Kencey

Reputable
Dec 2, 2014

The old gpu that i got to test is on another system that i use daily.
About the list of brand/model of parts, i updated my original post. Thanks

Kencey

Reputable
Dec 2, 2014

I'm sorry what do you mean by "lasted as long".
I have this gpu for 5 years.

Kencey

Reputable
Dec 2, 2014

Yes, it worked with the old GPU ( i updated my post with this info ).

May 16, 2018
Try safebooting or starting your pc without the GPU's in and disable default onboard graphics. Open Device Manager and under Display Adapters disable the Intel HD Graphics. After shutdown and try booting it with the GPU's installed.

So that should rule out a PCIe slot issue. However the card you tested with is much lower power use so it may be a PSU issue or issue with the video card. Only real way to find out which is to test the card in another system, a different PSU in yours, or a card with a similar power draw in your system. Really the only way to know for sure if it's card or not is try the card in another computer with a good PSU. If card does not work there, bad card. Any other test will still leave room for other things.

Solution