No post, system wont boot. Fans spin up for less than a second

Alex Uhryn

Reputable
Mar 29, 2014
System was working for a day and next day wouldn't switch on. Thought it was the power button so used a spare one and it was. However when i switch it on, the fans spin up for a fraction of a second and stop. I have a MSI Z87-G55 motherboard, i5 4760k and gtx 770 4gb, with 8gb (2x4) ram @ 2133mhz. This was my first built pc and was pretty proud of it, Any help will be appreciated. Also XFX 750W fully modular powersupply

Any chance you might have a short somewhere? I trust you used the standoffs between case and motherboard?

I'd check and re-check all connections to be sure something hasn't worked loose - power cables, HD cables, re-seat RAM modules, re-seat all cards incl. video, etc.

If that fails try going to barebones - unhook ALL drives and USB devices and go to one stick of RAM only, then try a different stick of RAM, etc. - try to narrow down culprit.

If that fails then carefully rebuild the system outside of the case and attempt to boot barebones. If THAT fails then there is a good chance one of your components has died an early death, they tend to die early on if they were defective. When you get a system as unresponsive as that then the likely culprit would be motherboard or PSU, of course of the two trying a different PSU is the easiest thing to test and should be ruled out first. If that's not it you may have to RMA the motherboard and hope that was it.

And did you remember to hook up the aux CPU power connectors?

Alex Uhryn

Reputable
Mar 29, 2014
it cant be the psu since i got it replaced, when i first built it, when it first didn't switch on, i suspected the psu so i returned and got another one, so the psu is ruled out. and yep i used the standoffs between the mobo and case. Rechecked all cables, and tried to boot with one ram. Going to try barebones