[SOLVED] No post with ANY overclock

the9mapex1kid

Honorable
Sep 18, 2014
Hey folks. Just got a new build together (listed below), got everything set up, and went to start my tuning. I completed the first round of tweaks, restarted, aaaaand no post. No keyboard/mouse. Black screen. Q-codes cycling as follows, in order: DE AD 30 47 01 92. I restarted again, nothing. I used the mobo's Clear CMOS button to try to start again. Nothing. I opened it up and pulled the CMOS battery. Nothing. After another hour of trying things, I finally gave up and flashed the BIOS. Everything back to normal straight away.

"Fine" I thought. "Everything works, no harm done, I must have set something incorrectly." So I restarted again, back into the BIOS for round two. I changed two settings: I clocked the RAM up to 3000 from 2400 (rated to 4000), and the processor up to 4.0 from 3.8 (rated to 4.7), just to start things off. Same scenario again. Flashed BIOS again. Back into the BIOS for round three. Bumped the processor to 3.9 from 3.8. No other changes. Same thing happened. So here I am, base clocked AF. Usually I can figure these things out for myself, but this one has me stumped. This is also my first AMD since the FX series, so I'm not sure if there might be something I'm missing there. I appreciate the input!

Mobo: Asus Crosshair VIII Formula
CPU: Ryzen 9 3900XT
RAM: Team T-Force 4000 mhz
PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1200W
GPU: ASUS Strix 2080 8G
Storage: 2x Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1GB M.2
Cooler: Corsair H150i Elite Capellix AIO, 360mm radiator

Solution
The thing with Ryzen CPUs is that while they offer a good value, they also have had launch issues. Older Ryzen series CPUs were very picky about RAM and it was next to impossible to get the RAM running any faster than natively supported by chipset (e.g from 2666 Mhz to 3200 Mhz). Only thing that eventually fixed it, was new BIOS versions released by MoBo makers.

Here, i suggest that you also wait until new BIOS is released for your MoBo, that fixes the launch day issues.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
The thing with Ryzen CPUs is that while they offer a good value, they also have had launch issues. Older Ryzen series CPUs were very picky about RAM and it was next to impossible to get the RAM running any faster than natively supported by chipset (e.g from 2666 Mhz to 3200 Mhz). Only thing that eventually fixed it, was new BIOS versions released by MoBo makers.

Here, i suggest that you also wait until new BIOS is released for your MoBo, that fixes the launch day issues.

Solution

the9mapex1kid

Honorable
Sep 18, 2014
I read something about that, yes. However, bumping the CPU up even 100 mhz without touching the RAM at ALL still resulted in the crash. Do you think that's a part of the same issue?

This is what have done on Asus motherboards.
Ai to Manual
Core Ratio to 43.50 - 44
CPU Load-line calibration to Level 2

Core voltage to manual
CPU Core Voltage to 1.36250

Since I used 3600MHz RAM, I manually setup my RAM to 3600MHz and manually typed the timings.
Also set the Infinity Fabric clock speed (FCLK) to 1800MHz

Not other changes were made.

I was able to increase up to 4.5GHz stable.

By the way....single thread apps perform worse, since you are giving up single core boost of 4.7GHz.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Do you think that's a part of the same issue?

Yes, since it's the BIOS'es job to keep the components running at specified values and if BIOS can't handle any other value than the default/auto, whole system crashes.

This is what have done on Asus motherboards.

Even when you have the same CPU, MoBo and RAM as OP has, no hardware is identical and while you can have stable OC with the values you've tested, same can't be said about OP's system.

Even when you have the same CPU, MoBo and RAM as OP has, no hardware is identical and while you can have stable OC with the values you've tested, same can't be said about OP's system.
I am aware of that, and that's why I posted what have worked in my case.
The OP could try it and see if it works..that's pretty much how OCing works...trying diferent settings to see what could work.
I did not suggested that everyone else would achieve similar results.

TRENDING THREADS