No POST, working GPU + MOBO. Searched for hours no answer.

troxyn

Prominent
Oct 1, 2017
GPU: gigabyte 7870 GHz edition
MOBO: msi z77a-g41
CPU: i5-3570
PSU: seasonic 520 watt SS-520GM

Issue:
My motherboard and GPU have worked together for 5 years. All of a sudden I got a graphic issue with no bluescreen and had to power down. Upon restarting my GPU no longer posts on startup.

Things I have tried:
- CMOS battery
- update mobo drivers
- new PSU with gpu (1000w)
- 2 other low end GPU
( these seem to work but have terrible artifacting... although they are old and used could be on their end )
-GPU in another PC
( runs like a charm )

My friend who fixes hardware for a living is baffled by this. I really don't want to buy a new component if it will not fix the issue, any help is appreciated...

troxyn

Prominent
Oct 1, 2017
Yes, I am currently looking over bios settings. These are my options under "advanced"

PCI subsystem settings
ACPI settings
Integrated peripherals
Integrated graphics configuration
Intel rapid start tech
USB configuration
Super io configuration
Hardware monitor
Intel smart connect configuration
Power management setup
Windows 8 configuration (I'm using 7 not sure if that matters)

Thanks for the quick response

troxyn

Prominent
Oct 1, 2017
Well, as long as I can he certain that will fix the issue I'm happy. One last thing if you'd be so kind, as far as I can tell the only outlet for a compatible mobo is ebay. Any nudges in the right direction as far as what I should be searching for? Just the LGA 1155 chipset?

Yeah....

Ah, they are kinds hard to find NEW.

On Newegg this is a good board, Intel boards are solid.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAE256149226

troxyn

Prominent
Oct 1, 2017
I am on mobile and wondering what all specifically needs to be compatible with the mobo? Would both work? My specs are the prior ones + ram is 2x4gb mushkin blackline ddr3 pc3-12800.

Yes, either one will work.

One only takes 8 GB of ram max, the other takes up to 32 GB.

However the Z68 chipset is much higher end, has PCIe 3.0 and USB 3 etc while the other one doesn't.

I would recommend the Z68 chipset motherboard.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAE256149546&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-VigLink2-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=8167372&SID=j8aaukdgaj000a1700053

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from troxyn : "Motherboard compatibility with LGA1155?"

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from troxyn : "New board needed? Pretty confusing."

Personally I think he would be better off in the long run to build a new PC, the LGA 1155 platform is getting very dated now.

While all he would have to do is replace the MB currently with a new LGA 1155 MB he would have to buy Windows again and still have an older system in the end.

While still good it's getting old.

Given his PC still works with onboard graphics he can still use it until he can get the money to build new.

All depends on what he wants to spend in the end.

troxyn

Prominent
Oct 1, 2017

Thanks for the consideration, I'm on a bit of a budget right now and am hoping to just have this last me another half year or so. I'm picking up a PC around $2k with my tax return this next year more than likely so that's my plan!

Hopefully it will last you that long, I think it will as the onboard graphics is on the CPU so it should be OK for now.

However Murphy's law being what it is and the MB has issues already you just never know.

Could last a year or a day, you are defiantly on borrowed time now for sure.

troxyn

Prominent
Oct 1, 2017
Yeah I've tried about twice as many fixes as I had previously and it's not having it. I dont understand what could possibly be wrong, I've been at this for 7 hours now

troxyn

Prominent
Oct 1, 2017
Yes, it's the exact same issue as before. Now I have tried resetting cmos, updating bios, resaeting ram, 3 different ram sticks (only 1 stick in every time), reseating gpu, disabling integrated graphics in safe mode, changing bios settings in basically every way. I am lost

What Motherboard?