No power at all

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Moxy95

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013
I recently just put my motherboard in my new case as well as a new GPU and a 600W PSU, now from what I can see it all looks perfectly fine to me but when I turn it on there's no power going to my PC at all, nothing even starts up. No fans, lights, nothing.

Nikolay Savov

Distinguished

I still think that you have`t connect you Front panel pins properly ....
Do you use this motherboard in the HP case or in some other Aftermarket case ?

Moxy95

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013

I am using a case I bought, CiT Mars. I did have it in the HP Case and obviously it worked fine but I couldn't use my GPU in that case due to being to big. So that's why I bought this case.

Moxy95

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013

What, try like a 700W or something higher than 600?

A Seasonic G-Series 360W (SSR-360GP) is more than capable of powering your system configuration.

Any power supply unit that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 23 Amps or greater and has at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector should be sufficient.

Moxy95

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013

But my GPU requires at least a 500W PSU?

gokul36

Distinguished

Dude! just don't confuse urself too much

1st change ur PSU and if doesn't work,....
2nd re install the Processor fan...with new thermal paste ...

do this 1st...... :heink:

The Radeon HD 7790 draws less than 100 Watts during gaming so AMD's 500W requirement is a joke.

Nikolay Savov

Distinguished
Hi again .

To Moxy95

You have a nice treat here dude :)

As allays happens at the end "it`s some odd problem " i think you will end up with :)

On you place i will go 1 by 1 ...........

1. Check you proper placemont of the old Motherboard in the New Case - CiT Mars
- you may have skrewed on wrong place the bolts under the motherboard -> check this
- you may have missplaced the motherboard and you have cross-cirquit on the motherboard - that`s why it may power off instantly when you power on
- take all components out of the case and install "outside the Box" - Motherboard + CPU + CPU FAN + 1xRAM + GPU + PSU

2. Make sure you connect all power cables :
- 1x ATX 20-pin power
- 1x ATX 4-pin power
- 1x ATX CPU power

All white power connectors !

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=bg&lc=en&docname=c03343058#N780

3. Make sure you have connected the GPU 1X75 Watt 6-pin PCI Express power connector
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_radeon_7790_oc_review,6.html

4. Make sure you have proper connection of Front Panel pins-cables of the CiT Mars Case :
- i can`t find Manual for this case look in you box for this one ........... use it if you find it
- i see there are LED fans and some diplay on the Case !!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.aone.co.uk/LI.asp?ProductID=3021&ProductImageID=0
- is there an LCD panel on you case Front ?
- is there any extra power connectors for this LCD pannel ?
- is there any extra CPU fan connectors for this LCD pannel ? ( i see fan readings on the picture for this LCD )
- post picture as the others have asked you above !

My theory is that you have some mess up connection and something is telling you mobo to restart or something .......

F.E. if you have conected this LCD cables on the CPU fan conector on the motherboard and you have not connected the CPU fan at all this may power of you mobo in loop .......

Use this schema to connect the Front Panel cables :

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware/Motherboard-manual-for-P7-1414-desktop-MSI-MS-7778-Jasmine/td-p/2597959

If you have found the Power button then :
- disconect all Case Front Panel cables and use screwdriver to short the Motherboard power on pins !
- if i`m correct this are pins 8 and 6 from the link above

5. About the PSU
I`m totaly agree with ko888 - this HD 7790 is under 100W on LOAD
SO you can safely can test with other PSU - 360 - 400 W
You have 600 W - that`s great - incompatibility with HP Motherboard ? ............. i`m not sure ...... the mobo is able of running 100W CPU and you have 65 W ........ my guess is that you have other problem here than PSU ......
SO testing with other PSU will not harm - you will not run 3D games under testing PSU after all :)

If you do all 5 steps one by one i`m sure you find the problem !