No Signal after Sleep, [PLZ HELP RN!]

GoldKingCobra

Honorable
Jun 2, 2015
Alright so my PC after waking from sleep usually doesn't get signal.

There are other times when this happens too, if I'm working and I turn off only the monitor, once I turn it back on again I really wouldn't expect any signal due to the problem.

Windows 10
Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Gaming
LG 34UC87C

Current situation:
I put my PC on sleep because this problem was not happening recently by changing the power plan to turn off link state power management which worked as a temporary fix because now the problem is happening again. Now I'm stuck with some important files I hadn't saved sitting on a computer half-on and the usual thing would be holding the power button. Anyway I can get these unsaved files back (pdn).

Now I need help with both long term and short term problems. I need my unsaved files and I want to fix this problem in the long term.

Solution

DeadlyDays

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013
sounds like the machine isn't waking from sleep at all. The monitor isn't receiving a signal because the computer isn't sending one, and it wouldn't if it was still in sleep mode. That seems the more likely case. as far as the solution, idk, but I'd work on the assumption it is still in sleep mode unless you are seeing something indicating otherwise?

GoldKingCobra

Honorable
Jun 2, 2015
I tried switching to hdmi but no luck, same no signal.

I want to be able to fix my "short term" problem with my files and if all hope is lost then I'll move on to restarting the PC, for that reason I can't really do the drivers part just yet...

GoldKingCobra

Honorable
Jun 2, 2015
Oh and I had left Steam on when putting it to sleep mode, and I went and checked and my current status on Steam is online but on "snooze" (afk for a few hours) that means my computer has awoken from sleep already.

DeadlyDays

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013

Then I would say the gpu is not recovering from the s4 level power state, if im remembering s4 correctly. Look into motherboard settings and gpu powerstate issues

GoldKingCobra

Honorable
Jun 2, 2015
Ok so here's what just happened.

The HDMI was still plugged in since I tested it a while back. Came back to my desk and once I moved the mouse the desktop came up like normal. So then I saved my work, unplugged the HDMI and plugged in the DP again assuming it would work, which it didn't. So then I plugged in the HDMI again and the same no signal message was being displayed by the monitor. Then I clicked the restart button and then I was sitting back on my desktop but with HDMI. Then I turned my PC off again and I plugged in DP instead of HDMI again and now I restarted and my PC's working perfectly fine. But now I need to know how to stop this from happening again.

Side note: Since HDMI only supports up to 30hz at my resolution the switch from 60 to 30 due to the cable was enormous, everything from moving Windows around to the start menu sliding up was choppy...

radioplug14

Commendable
Mar 9, 2016
I've been suffering from the same problem. It started about three months ago right before I updated my graphics card. I got a new one thinking that was the issue. Then I got a new hard drive. It's still happening. My whole computer wakes up but there is no signal output to the monitors. The only thing that gets it back is if I completely turn off the computer (including flipping the I/O switch on the PSU) and turn it back on.

I've noticed that Microsoft has removed "Fast startup" from their power options. My guess is they're aware of the issue. It's gotten much worse this week after the most recent update to Windows 10. I honestly have given up trying to figure out what the solution is...

GoldKingCobra

Honorable
Jun 2, 2015

I don't have to flip the PSU switch after the problem though.

But it's a real bummer if what you said about there being no solution is true...

radioplug14

Commendable
Mar 9, 2016

Sometimes I don't have to do it, but it won't come back all the time.

In my continuing search for a solution, I just came across this post on the Windows 10 forums that generated some interesting results:

I seem to have found a solution. Sleep and shutdown have been working for me since I've done this. I should have known to check this earlier but it didn't cross my mind. I'm surprised Microsoft Support is not recommending this.

Right click start menu and enter admin command prompt
Run the command 'powercfg /energy' without the quotes
This will take 60 seconds and generate a report for you, likely under c:\Windows\system32
Navigate to that directory and drag the HTML file to your desktop. Open the file there and take notice of the errors.
Any error you see referencing a specific device, i.e NIC, sound card, etc likely needs their drivers updated. Right click the start menu and enter device manager. Search automatically for updated drivers of the devices listed in your energy report. You may also need to head to the device manufacturers website for drivers if Windows can't automatically find them.
My issue seemed to be my sound card as once I updated that I was able to enter sleep mode and shutdown without issue. Please let me know if this works for you guys.

When I did this, all of my "errors" were related to USB ports (4 USB Root Hub errors, my webcam, a mass storage device, and a composite device). I tried updating the drivers, but the Windows search didn't find anything and I have no idea which USB items are causing this.

I may uninstall my USB drivers and start fresh just to see if it does anything.

Solution
Dec 7, 2019
Guys, in my case, the solution was pretty simple: turn off "fast boot" from bios and also from power options (control panel -> power options -> change what the power button do -> change settings that are currently available -> untick "turn on fast startup")