[SOLVED] No signal on startup / GPU clock + usage 100% ?

atticus_maytrap

Reputable
Nov 12, 2018
Hi there,
this is a problem i've been having of late that is not constant but rather intermittent.

Basically, turned the machine on a few weeks back, nothing appeared on screen, just the "No Signal" message.
It happened the day after i had updated to Nvidia driver 496.76 (update went through without issue the night before, gamed and worked as expected)
A hard restart brought it back to life, but soon after - in normal desktop space - the GPU clock rammed up to load levels + 100% usage and the mouse was sluggish / unresponsive.
Performed a standard restart and then back to desktop, booted into safe mode and DDU'd that driver out and rolled back to 496.13.

That was approx. 3 weeks ago, everything working as it should be since then - except for one or 2 times the GPU clock raced up to load levels when opening BF 2042 and everything became sluggish again. Quitting out of the game wouldn't being it back down either, only a restart fixed the issue. The game would then function perfectly.

Yesterday evening i turned the machine on and again was greeted with the "No Signal" message. Hard restart brought it back to life, but soon after had another attack of the high GPU clock and sluggishness - but only after i had played a bit AC Origins, which ran smoothly and without issue. Once i quit out of that and tried to open BF2042 did the high clock rate and low frame rate occur. Again, just restarted the machine and everything worked as it should.

Do i need to update my BIOS here? The machine is exactly 2 years old, the GPU is 4 years old.

i9-9900k
Geforce 1080Ti
Asus rog strix z390-f gaming
32gb RAM
be quiet! 850w

Solution
Hi there,
this is a problem i've been having of late that is not constant but rather intermittent.

Basically, turned the machine on a few weeks back, nothing appeared on screen, just the "No Signal" message.
It happened the day after i had updated to Nvidia driver 496.76 (update went through without issue the night before, gamed and worked as expected)
A hard restart brought it back to life, but soon after - in normal desktop space - the GPU clock rammed up to load levels + 100% usage and the mouse was sluggish / unresponsive.
Performed a standard restart and then back to desktop, booted into safe mode and DDU'd that driver out and rolled back to 496.13.

That was approx. 3 weeks ago, everything working as it should be since then -...
Hi there,

That was approx. 3 weeks ago, everything working as it should be since then - except for one or 2 times the GPU clock raced up to load levels when opening BF 2042 and everything became sluggish again. Quitting out of the game wouldn't being it back down either, only a restart fixed the issue. The game would then function perfectly.

Yesterday evening i turned the machine on and again was greeted with the "No Signal" message. Hard restart brought it back to life, but soon after had another attack of the high GPU clock and sluggishness - but only after i had played a bit AC Origins, which ran smoothly and without issue. Once i quit out of that and tried to open BF2042 did the high clock rate and low frame rate occur. Again, just restarted the machine and everything worked as it should.

Do i need to update my BIOS here? The machine is exactly 2 years old, the GPU is 4 years old.

i9-9900k
Geforce 1080Ti
Asus rog strix z390-f gaming
32gb RAM
be quiet! 850w
Try this step by step (read till end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors and the chipset in system device (if available) on device manager (should be 16 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) like this:
    unknown.png

Chipset:
    unknown.png

• Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios. Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings, then save and exit

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver, reboot, and connect to internet.

• Install the latest nvidia driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did) and make sure ram is on slot 2 and 4 if you use 2 sticks. Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update). Enable hardware accelerated graphics scheduling (available in the latest windows update) in graphics settings and reboot, it should be like this:
    unknown.png
Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
unknown.png

Solution

TRENDING THREADS