No sound after Graphics Card installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

kodyparker

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
It appears that I have no sound after upgrading my Graphics card from an AMD to a Nvidia GTX 760. There is no option on bios to disable onboard high def audio, and Realtek will not install back onto my computer? Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
I assumed you were running WIN 7 so I could be wrong on those directions.
Try uninstalling the Realtek drivers and then re-installing them.
This should set them back as the default sound device.

kodyparker

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
Realtek is not an option under audio settings all I have is the Nvidia options. Realtek is completely gone from my control panel. And for some reason I cannot reinstall the drivers for it.

kodyparker

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013

Should I install my old graphics card back and see if that will allow Realtek to install again.

JOHNN93

Honorable
see if there is a option in the nvidia controll pannel if not unistall drivers remove grphics card re intall other graphics card .uninstall sound drivers install new gpu install gpu drivers first and then sound driers.
if your sound drivers where not uninstalled they still should be in there .probably thee nvidia control pannel is blocking the driver.did you recentllllllly changed any settings in ms config? startup aplications?there is a realtake on startup see if it is enabeld.

kodyparker

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013

So I have tried what you have suggested and still no sound. When I put the Mobo CD in and install the original drivers it says that realtek is already installed yet I don't see the speakers or Realtek under Volume Control Panel? BIOS does not have an option for enabling Realtek or Disabling HDMI Nvidia. Nvidia HDMI Ports0,1,2,3 are the only thing that I am seeing in volcume control panel.

kodyparker

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013

I will try this when I get home, I am currently at work... Thanks for the advise everyone. Also, I cant remember if under sound realtek is even there, what if it doesn't show anything but the Nvidia drivers. would disabling them allow the others to default automatically.

kodyparker

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013

Very well, I will take some detailed screen shots for you tonight and post them so you can see exactly what im talking about.

kodyparker

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013

Yeah so Realtek or speakers is not an option under sound what does that intel?

mesaritism

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
For anyone that this solution didn't work please take a look at your BIOS settings. I have a dell T5400 work station and
I had to set the on-board sound device to ON through BIOS for it to work properly
after installing a new graphics card

peteramd

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
After struggling for an eternity here is what seemed to have worked in my case:
1. I uninstalled all Nvidia audio (I had just installed a GT760 4G)
2. I uninstalled from the device manager both the Realtek (including the software) and the High Definition Audio
3. I rebooted
Now in the device manager there is no Realtek at all but 2 x High Definition Audio and the sound is working fine. I sustpect there is a conflict between the Realtek software and driver and the Windows Audio and/or the Nvidia Audio that cases the problem. Of course you don't have any more the fancy pop-up window whenever you plug in a device but I checked and both the front and back speaker outputs work fine, so:
MSI please take care.

GuccizBud

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2014
On February 6, 2014 11:39:33 AM, mesaritism wrote:

                                    For anyone that this solution didn't work please take a look at your BIOS settings.
                                    I have a dell T5400 work station and I had to set the on-board sound device to ON
                                    through BIOS for it to work properly after installing a new graphics card.

I just replaced my old 8400   GS card with a new GT   730 card and also had a "suddenly-no-sound" problem, which resolved itself rather unexpectedly… and the "solution" proved to be, well, "bullsh*t" is a pretty good word for it, so hopefully by posting this it'll help others, ideally before they spend hours trying different things, uninstalling/reinstalling things, and basically slowly losing their minds over this infuriating and seemingly inexplicable problem.

I replicated my friend's post up there  ⇈  because it was his suggestion that led to my problem fixing itself, although maybe not quite the way he described it.

First, while all perfectly valid and logical, none of the solutions in this thread helped me for the simple reason that everything I checked was still set correctly. So for example, my default sound output had not switched to another device and was still set exactly as it always had been. Also, it wasn't anything that could be resolved either through control panel ( Windows' or NVIDIA's ), and wasn't something trivial like a volume set to zero, a muted setting, or an unplugged connector.

And, perhaps surprisingly in light of the post above I quoted, it also wasn't an Enabled setting set to Disabled in the BIOS… all sound settings in the BIOS were set to Enabled!… and checking those were the reason I rebooted and entered the BIOS in the first place, as per our friend mesaritism's suggestion.

Here's the kicker though: by simply entering the BIOS and screwing around a bit with one of the sound settings ( I don't even remember which one ), more specifically by simply toggling it from Enabled to Disabled then back to Enabled again and rebooting the computer ( with the thought that I have to keep looking since their was nothing bizarre in the BIOS settings )… you guessed it… the sound magically came back, its return signaled by the distinctive sound of the Windows startup .WAV sound I know so well.
And I was obviously like "WHAT?!? What the—!!". Something like that, or like this :ouch::pt1cable::bounce: only maybe not as colorful. So it would seem that simply entering the BIOS, toggling/untoggling a sound setting, saving, exiting BIOS, and rebooting did the trick.

As far as which sound setting it was exactly, my guess is it likely doesn't matter which one. I think that it's the process of entering the sound settings, toggling/untoggling something (anything), then choosing the SAVE & EXIT option itself that does the trick, serving to somehow re-set ( in the sense of setting again ), or maybe reinitialize is a better word, all the Enabled settings. One possibility is that one or more settings were indeed Disabled by the whole process of installing a new graphics card, despite still appearing as Enabled in the BIOS ( grasping at straws here but stranger things have happened ) and what I did "officially" re-enabled them all. I know that, logically, that doesn't make sense, because simply rebooting the PC without going into BIOS should accomplish that… but the fact is it didn't, because before going into BIOS I had rebooted 3x at least while trying other, more normal solutions from within Windows.

Oh… the new card works great. :sarcastic:

Narcli

Reputable
Aug 7, 2015
Although I couldn't identify what was causing the issue I did eventually find a solution. Windows 7 has a roll back feature for individual drivers. I was unable to play sound through AMD HDMI Output. I found that a Catalyst Control Centre (CCC) update in question had changed the HD Audio controller which then seemed to "lock" it in use with another application (indicated through an windows error message when trying to "test" in sndvol.

I was able to solve the problem by rolling back the HD Audio Controller driver update.

To fix the issue press; Windows Key+R (This interface will allow you to execute commands)
Type "devmgmt.msc." (Alternatively press start> Control Panel>Hardware and Sound> Device manager (under Devices and Printers)
In the list find Sound, Video and Game controllers and click the little arrow on the left of it (This will open the menu), Right click "AMD High Definition Audio Drive"
Click Properties (this will open a new window)
Click the "Driver" Tab found at the top of the window.
Click "Roll Back Driver".

This will now revert your AMD High Definition Audio Device to it's previous driver (which should have been working)

This issue only occurred after an update and not a fresh install. It is not an ideal fix to the problem but more a work around, if I find another solution I'll update the post.

guiwee

Reputable
Dec 2, 2015

I did roughly the same as you did..on a asus maxi hero viii mb...except even though I saved after clicking enable and disabled then enable again..then exiting the bios screen and.wa---la...sound again...except when I turn off then on again...no sound..somethings not right and I'm using win 10. anyone find a solution to this problem???

Alex_128

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016
I upgraded from an AMD to the Nvidia GTX 960 with the same problem. After two days I finally found a simple solution. I flashed my BIOS (for those who don't know this means I downloaded the latest BIOS driver and installed it). Nvidia had turned off my mobo audio card with no way provided to turn it back on, but this did the trick

gweempose

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015

I just encountered the exact same problem with a Dell T5400 workstation. After installing an EVGA GeForce GT 730 card in it, I lost my sound. Fortunately, a quick Google search brought me to this thread. I went into the BIOS and changed the on-board audio setting from "Auto" to "On". Problem solved. :)

SteveC68

Commendable
Apr 1, 2016
I just had this exact same problem when going from an old radeon card to a new GTX 950. Here is what I did to fix it after trying everything else posted here. Download the latest realtek drivers. Mine were dated 2010 and the newest one is 2014. Install, reboot, fixed! I will warn you though that the realtek drivers install is about as long as installing Windows. Realtek drivers here:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false&Langid=1&Level=4&PFid=24&PNid=14

My other frustrating moment from the video card install, "why don't they include at least one of those screws to hold the card in?" Seriously it's like a 1 cent item. Just include one in the box. At some point I had dozens of these because you got like a hundred with a new motherboard. Now you get none.

MisturE

Commendable
May 9, 2016
I too encountered a similar problem when I upgraded my Dell Precision T7400's 256MB NVIDIA Quadro FX570 card to an EVGA 2GB (GDDR5) GeForceGT730 card. After deleting the old card's drivers, installing the new card and its corresponding drivers, my computer had switched to HDMI audio and the onboard audio wasn't even showing up in the sound control panels as a selectable option. Checking for updates, allowing Windows to attempt to repair the problem, and reinstalling RealTek's audio drivers didn't remedy the lack of sound. What did work (as mentioned previously) was adjusting a BIOS setting. On this particular computer, pressing F2 during startup opens up the BIOS settings menus. Using the arrow keys, I navigated down to "Onboard Devices" and from the sub-menu selected "Integrated Audio". There are three settings from which to choose from. This computer's default setting is "Auto". The other two settings are "On" and "Off". Apparently, my new card's ability to use HDMI causes the "Auto" selection to default to HDMI. Since I'm using an analog audio jack connected to external Logitech speakers, I need the computer's onboard audio enabled. Switching the Integrated Audio from "Auto" to "On" bypasses the whole auto-detection snafu, and will allow one's computer to boot up and detect devices plugged into its on board analog ports. Just be sure to save the new setting when exiting BIOS. All is good now.

Yokai1

Commendable
Jun 10, 2016

yep me too , my pc wx Workstation 6600 & GeForce GTX 460 , problem solved , audio was unable in the BIOS , thank you ALL

dodgygoth

Commendable
Aug 12, 2016
I went through all of the above and none of it worked.
However I have solved the problem, it may not be elegant but I do now have sound.
Buy an USB sound card and plug it in. Sorted.
I got mine from Ebay and it cost me £1 ( $1.29 ) including p+p.

Seriously, problem fixed :)

Status
Not open for further replies.