[SOLVED] No sound output

Sep 29, 2019
So, i recently changed my gpu and after that i cant get any sound out of my pc, i have speakers in the front panel which seem to register and when i play something it shows audio output in sound settings but i cant hear anything. When i plug my headset to the back port i get you have just unpluged/pluged a device or whatever and it is spamming and taking alot of my cpu power. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling sound drivers! i have done the sfc /scannow or what ever it was.

Solution
You have two problems there. Both start from these facts. There is no standard way for a sound system built into a mobo to send its signals to a video card. But MANY systems now use an HDMI cable connection to take video AND audio signals to the monitor and use its speakers. So the common solution has been to add audio output chips to the video card and use that system for sound output INSTEAD of the mobo system. Further, since that's such a common method, many video card Install tools that install the card driver ALSO install that card's audio chip driver AND then change a setting in Windows so that sound MUST come from the video card via the HDMI cable to the monitor. Thus sound is NOT sent out from the mobo's audio chip via the...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You have two problems there. Both start from these facts. There is no standard way for a sound system built into a mobo to send its signals to a video card. But MANY systems now use an HDMI cable connection to take video AND audio signals to the monitor and use its speakers. So the common solution has been to add audio output chips to the video card and use that system for sound output INSTEAD of the mobo system. Further, since that's such a common method, many video card Install tools that install the card driver ALSO install that card's audio chip driver AND then change a setting in Windows so that sound MUST come from the video card via the HDMI cable to the monitor. Thus sound is NOT sent out from the mobo's audio chip via the sockets on the mobo's rear panel. And the reason behind that last item is that Windows can only use ONE sound output system at a time, no matter how many systems you have.

I suspect that, before you made this change, you were using video to the monitor via HDMI, but sound from the mobo's rear panel sockets to a speaker set. Is that right? And maybe headphones from the case's front panel sockets? IF that is what you had and you want to restore that, follow this sequence. First step is to set Windows to use the mobo sound system again, instead of the video card's system. Then there's a way to get those audio output jacks to work properly. Do NOT do this if I have misunderstood how you want your system to work. Instead, post back here for other instructions.

1. Go thought Start ... Control Panel ... Sounds to find a panel that offers you choices of which should be your default sound output device. It will have a little drop-down window that likely shows a system on your video card. If you click on that, you will also find another system on your mobo, typically from Realtek. Choose that to switch to using that mobo system.
  2. Most Realtek systems have a useful feature called Port Re-assignment that allows you to change which sound signal is sent out of which rear panel port. But it can cause you trouble in this situation because it demands that you give it answers, or it cuts off your sound! So we'll use that to get the rear panels audio jacks to what you need. Some of the details depends on exactly what your sound playback system is - how many speakers, for example. I have a 5.1 Surround Sound system consisting of two front stereo speakers, one front centre speaker and one subWoofer, and two rear stereo speakers, and these require using three of the output jacks, plus a jack for microphone input. I also use an earphone / microphone headset plugged into my front panel jacks.
  3. Arrange your system so that you can reach the rear panel and the cables / plugs to your speakers PLUS see your screen and use your keyboard and mouse. On your screen at bottom right there should be an icon for access to your Realtek sound configuration utility that allows you to set many options and run a sound test. Use that and, if possible, set it to the speaker system you have - 2-channel stereo, 2.1 sound, 5.1 Surround Sound, 7.1, whatever. Also enable the front earphone and microphone jacks if you plan to use them. You MAY not be able to set all this if your actual speakers etc are not plugged in and working yet - we'll come back to them later. Back out of the Realtek tool.
  4. Unplug everything from your mobo audio output jacks - the two on the front, and all the AUDIO items plugged into your mobo back panel. Reboot your machine, and it will recognize that you have nothing plugged in for sound output.
  5. From here on we'll be repeating a simple sequence that means you need to respond to messages on your screen, ONE item at a time. Start with the plug for your two front (left / right) stereo speakers. Plug that into the correct jack (usually light green) and watch the screen. You should see a little window pop up saying it detected that an item was plugged into that jack, and suggesting what that might be. It is probably correct, but you can NOT just ignore that and let it be. If you do not answer, it will NOT assume its correct guess, and it will NOT send out any sound there. You must answer by confirming that guess or changing it, and the window will disappear.
  6. On to the next thing to plug in - perhaps the plug for a front centre and subWoofer in the orange jack. Same process - watch for the window and confirm the correct speaker type you just plugged in there.
  7. IF you have more, as I do, repeat. When you have all your speaker items plugged in, do the microphone jack, too. Or you may be doing that on your front panel.
  8. When you have ALL your speakers etc. re-connected this way, go back into the Realtek configuration utility. Check and adjust the choice of speaker system you are using, and any settings for headphones. Now find the sound test tool and run that to be sure all your speakers are doing as planned. If necessary, you can adjust things like balance and volume settings. When you're done, exit the Realtek utility.
That should get your sound back to the way it was.

Solution
Sep 29, 2019
You have two problems there. Both start from these facts. There is no standard way for a sound system built into a mobo to send its signals to a video card. But MANY systems now use an HDMI cable connection to take video AND audio signals to the monitor and use its speakers. So the common solution has been to add audio output chips to the video card and use that system for sound output INSTEAD of the mobo system. Further, since that's such a common method, many video card Install tools that install the card driver ALSO install that card's audio chip driver AND then change a setting in Windows so that sound MUST come from the video card via the HDMI cable to the monitor. Thus sound is NOT sent out from the mobo's audio chip via the sockets on the mobo's rear panel. And the reason behind that last item is that Windows can only use ONE sound output system at a time, no matter how many systems you have.

I suspect that, before you made this change, you were using video to the monitor via HDMI, but sound from the mobo's rear panel sockets to a speaker set. Is that right? And maybe headphones from the case's front panel sockets? IF that is what you had and you want to restore that, follow this sequence. First step is to set Windows to use the mobo sound system again, instead of the video card's system. Then there's a way to get those audio output jacks to work properly. Do NOT do this if I have misunderstood how you want your system to work. Instead, post back here for other instructions.

1. Go thought Start ... Control Panel ... Sounds to find a panel that offers you choices of which should be your default sound output device. It will have a little drop-down window that likely shows a system on your video card. If you click on that, you will also find another system on your mobo, typically from Realtek. Choose that to switch to using that mobo system.
  2. Most Realtek systems have a useful feature called Port Re-assignment that allows you to change which sound signal is sent out of which rear panel port. But it can cause you trouble in this situation because it demands that you give it answers, or it cuts off your sound! So we'll use that to get the rear panels audio jacks to what you need. Some of the details depends on exactly what your sound playback system is - how many speakers, for example. I have a 5.1 Surround Sound system consisting of two front stereo speakers, one front centre speaker and one subWoofer, and two rear stereo speakers, and these require using three of the output jacks, plus a jack for microphone input. I also use an earphone / microphone headset plugged into my front panel jacks.
  3. Arrange your system so that you can reach the rear panel and the cables / plugs to your speakers PLUS see your screen and use your keyboard and mouse. On your screen at bottom right there should be an icon for access to your Realtek sound configuration utility that allows you to set many options and run a sound test. Use that and, if possible, set it to the speaker system you have - 2-channel stereo, 2.1 sound, 5.1 Surround Sound, 7.1, whatever. Also enable the front earphone and microphone jacks if you plan to use them. You MAY not be able to set all this if your actual speakers etc are not plugged in and working yet - we'll come back to them later. Back out of the Realtek tool.
  4. Unplug everything from your mobo audio output jacks - the two on the front, and all the AUDIO items plugged into your mobo back panel. Reboot your machine, and it will recognize that you have nothing plugged in for sound output.
  5. From here on we'll be repeating a simple sequence that means you need to respond to messages on your screen, ONE item at a time. Start with the plug for your two front (left / right) stereo speakers. Plug that into the correct jack (usually light green) and watch the screen. You should see a little window pop up saying it detected that an item was plugged into that jack, and suggesting what that might be. It is probably correct, but you can NOT just ignore that and let it be. If you do not answer, it will NOT assume its correct guess, and it will NOT send out any sound there. You must answer by confirming that guess or changing it, and the window will disappear.
  6. On to the next thing to plug in - perhaps the plug for a front centre and subWoofer in the orange jack. Same process - watch for the window and confirm the correct speaker type you just plugged in there.
  7. IF you have more, as I do, repeat. When you have all your speaker items plugged in, do the microphone jack, too. Or you may be doing that on your front panel.
  8. When you have ALL your speakers etc. re-connected this way, go back into the Realtek configuration utility. Check and adjust the choice of speaker system you are using, and any settings for headphones. Now find the sound test tool and run that to be sure all your speakers are doing as planned. If necessary, you can adjust things like balance and volume settings. When you're done, exit the Realtek utility.
That should get your sound back to the way it was.
I have never used audio over hdmi, i used to have my headphones in the front panel and my speakers on the back and it worked fine, until my gpu gave up and i had to install a replacement gpu which was some gigabyte cheap gpu i had laying around, after installing its drivers or even before installing drivers for the gpu i noticed high cpu usage and i got notifications "you have just plugged in/unplugged a device" and i get that now every time i have either my speakers or headphones plugged to the backpanel, the front panel seems to do something but still no sound from either of them, i have tryed disabling hdmi audio from bios and enabled onboard hd sound or whatever.

Sep 29, 2019
I tried restarting my pc without having any audio devices plugged in and after the reboot i plugged in my speakers and nothing even happened, My bios only has an option to Auto/Disabled my frontpanel, which i think might cause this problem since i need it to be enabled. And the mobo's backpanel still spamms "you just unplugged a device from the audiojack/ You just plugged in a device" and windows audio endpoint builder takes 100% of my pc's cpu usage

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You got some of this right, but you missed item #1 of my list. There are TWO things to do to ensure that the mobo audio chip is sending out your sounds. ONE is to Enable that system in BIOS Setup, which you have done (but re-check to be sure it still is Enabled.) THEN you also need to tell Windows that it should use the mobo Realtek system as it Default Sound Output Device, and NOT the one on you video card.

AFTER those two steps are complete, start at my Item #3 above to arrange access to parts and configure your Realtek system. Then per Step 4, disconnect all outputs and reboot, and start from there to add one output device at a time.

Sep 29, 2019
" THEN you also need to tell Windows that it should use the mobo Realtek system as it Default Sound Output Device, and NOT the one on you video card." So i just need to make my speakers as the deafult output device?
i have my speakers as deafult device and all disconnected devices are digital hdmi outputs

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
No. the phrase "Default Sound Output Device" is used in the Windows configuration screens for Sounds. In that place, the word "Device" means the audio chip system used to generate and send out signals. There you are choosing between the mobo-based Realtek system or the system on your video card.

Then I said AFTER all that is set you should disconnect all outputs items and reboot, etc. I mean unplug all your speakers and headphone sets. AFTER rebooting with none of those plugged in, you start the process of plugging in one item and responding to the Realtk pop -up window, etc.

Sep 29, 2019
So, i unplugged every output device, my speakers and headphones and restarted my pc. My computer still thinks i have my speakers connected. When i plug my speakers in nothing happens.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Well, that is a puzzle. MAYBE try this fo force it to re-discover the mobo Realtek audio system. First unplug all your speakers, etc. The go through Start ... Control Panel ... System ... Hardware to get to the Device Manager. Find the Sound System section and expand it until you can see several items including both the system on your video card and the Realtek system on your mobo. Right-click on the Realtek system and choose to Delete this device. Back out and reboot directly into BIOS Setup and ensure that the system is Enabled there. Back out with saving and allow the computer to complete the boot. Your computer should boot up, note that it has no Realtek system in its settings, but then discover that it DOES have a Realtek system and load up the driver for that. That might get it working again. Then you can try the process of adding speakers one at a time and see if it opens those windows asking what you just plugged in.