[SOLVED] No sound when using the CPU integrated graphics, is this normal?

Jun 13, 2021
I have an i5-11400 installed on ASUS Prime B560M-A, which included integrated graphics.
I was testing the CPU integrated graphics by removing my GPU and plugged the HDMI to the onboard integrated graphics.
There's only picture with no sound. I have to plug in a speaker at the 3.5mm audio jack for sound.
Is this normal?

Solution
Is this normal?
What options do you have under Audio Playback devices?
img_57d5d5cf71711.png

Reactions: damric
Solution
Jun 13, 2021
It's the same audio source, the GPU card just takes the audio from the motherboard and route it to the built-in HDMI port.
No it's not, in video player software, vlc for instance, you can choose the audio device and play the audio through the GPU and it will be Independent from the system sound.

A iGPU could have sound as well in theory but I don't think there is any that does have it.

Jun 13, 2021
It's the same audio source, the GPU card just takes the audio from the motherboard and route it to the built-in HDMI port.

If your motherboard has HDMI port, you can try it too.

My motherboard does have HDMI port, that's why I plugged it in to try but no sound coming out, only graphics.

Jun 13, 2021
No it's not, in video player software, vlc for instance, you can choose the audio device and play the audio through the GPU and it will be Independent from the system sound.

A iGPU could have sound as well in theory but I don't think there is any that does have it.

So is it possible to play audio through IGPU? or the onboard HDMI is only for graphics, not for audio?

Not all GPU have a proper audio card, it was the solution for the motherboards that lack the digital audio output. I had an old AGP video card that converts the audio to HDMI if you connect it to the motherboard's audio header. Pretty cool back then.