No Sound with HDMI from Toshiba Satellite laptop

skuddle

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
I have a Toshiba Satellite C875D-S7225 running Windows 7 (64-Bit) and two HDMI TVs (not SmartTVs). When I connect the HDMI output of the Toshiba to either of the HDMI TVs I get a picture but no sound. I've checked my Toshiba's sound options but cannot see anything relating to TVs. Where can I check further?

ookii237

Reputable
Sep 25, 2014
On older laptops you have to manually switch the playback device when you plug in HDMI. Right mouse click on the speaker in the task bar. Click playback devices. High light HDMI and click set default. Take note which is currently default because you will have to manually switch it back if you want audio from you laptop speakers again.

skuddle

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012

Thank you for your fast reply!

I did what you suggested. I connected the HDMI to my Visio 42-inch TV, right-clicked the speaker in the task bar, and set my AMD High Definition Audio Device to default, but still I get no sound. Do you have any other suggestions?

ookii237

Reputable
Sep 25, 2014
You need to set HDMI to default. Not AMD High Definition Audio Device. You might have to download and install your audio and video drivers. To find those search Toshiba Satellite (model number here) on google. Make sure you go to Toshiba's support sight. Sound will work fine with Microsoft's audio driver but special things like HDMI audio might not work.

Here ishow to tell if you have the right drivers installed. Click the start button. In the search box type device. Device manager should pop up on top. Click it. Once in Device manager you should see Sound, video and game controllers. Double click on that. If you see High Definition Audio Device you need to install the drivers mention above.

skuddle

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
Following your suggestion I opened Device Driver and double-clicked on Sound, Video, and Game Controllers. The only thing under that was one "Realtek High Definition Audio" entry.I did not see "High Definition Audio Device". Are those the same thing?

I know I earlier wrote, "AMD High Definition Audio Device" but it was actually a REALTEK device. My mistake there.

Then I went to the Toshiba site (Drivers & Software Support), entered my model number and operating system. I looked at the list of drivers. I clicked Drivers and check-marked Audio. I saw a Realtek Audio Driver (not HDMI) and an ATI HDMI Audio Driver. No other HDMI audio drivers. I downloaded them but have not installed them yet.

I don't know if it has any bearing on this, but I operate the laptop via an Archer C7 wireless router.

I'm sorry for drawing this out, and I really appreciate your help, but I want to be real careful about what I download and I do not want to install any drivers that I don't need to. Hope you understand.

ookii237

Reputable
Sep 25, 2014
Those drivers should do it. Theirs a possibility you will need the video drivers as well but i would start with those. About downloading stuff Toshibas website is safe. But you should always have virus protection just in case.