Question No sound with HDMI laptop to TV

kahoona

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
I cannot get sound from the TV when connecting it to my ASUS VivoBook S15 with a HDMI cable. ried 2 cables. The Sound does work fine with my desktop. In addition I cannot use a set of earbuds. The laptop sound continues but not the sound on the earbuds or TV. When I go to the Sound settings I can only fine Realtek Speakers. No option to change to the TV. I thought I would have a Control panel for Realtek Audio manager or HD manager but there is nothing. On the device manager there is only Realtek R Audio. Should I not have realtek HD audio manager?I suspect something is missing but I do not know what. I could not find any help at the ASUS support.

kahoona

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
I also tried using an earphone out into the 2 RCA's for stereo on the TV. This does not work either with the HDMI and a video or with just sound. In my last laptop and also the Desktop I had a control program with which I could which I could choose outputs . I have no such program here. Is there something I can add?

kahoona

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
I do. Only seems to control 3D though. Seems as if I am missing HD audio. I do not have High Definition audio. only Realtek(R) Audio. I have no working Realtek control panel either. I will try to install.
Tried uninstalling all realtek items and reinstalling them with the realtek audio manager. It was not successful. I uninstalled and went back to the realtek drivers that I had. I believe that if I could get windows or realtek to see my TV so that I could select the TV as an output I would be OK but so far no luck. How can I do that?

Last edited:
I do. Only seems to control 3D though. Seems as if I am missing HD audio. I do not have High Definition audio. only Realtek(R) Audio. I have no working Realtek control panel either. I will try to install.
Tried uninstalling all realtek items and reinstalling them with the realtek audio manager. It was not successful. I uninstalled and went back to the realtek drivers that I had.
It looks like corrupted audio drivers.

I believe that if I could get windows or realtek to see my TV so that I could select the TV as an output I would be OK but so far no luck. How can I do that?
The Realtek audio controller does not output audio thru HDMI, your GPU does that.
You need to check your nVidia Control Panel to enable audio thru HDMI...check Setup Digital Audio.

BigJohnx13

Commendable
Jun 22, 2019
It will depend if your graphic is supporting audio or not. Look in your graphic control panel for an option to activate sound on HDMI input.

If you have a sound amplifier or sound system connect a cable from your laptop (audio or earphone out) and connect to your AV receiver.

kahoona

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
Yesterday I had a Nvidia control panel but it would control nothing but the 3D settings. No sound settings. I must have screwed it up re-installing the drivers to make the TV appear because I don't have it today. I also have Intel Graphics Settings but nothing on there to control sound. I will see about installing the most recent Nvidia control panel now.
Just reinstalled the Nvidia Control Panel. Nothing on there has anything to do with sound. I am missing something but I don't know what!

Last edited:

kahoona

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
It appears that there is no solution at all. I cannot install the Nvidia control panel I am missing. Reloading drivers does not help. I used to have it and it is not there now. Nvidia does not know. The ASUS site is no help, partly because I cannot install the Asus app that checks the system to see that all of the original software is present and current. I can download but not install. No one at the support forum can help (or even reply). I can't send the laptop back for service under warranty even because the ASUS site does not recognize my model and serial number. I even tried using my bluetooth speakers because there is a buffering delay. Nice thin pretty thousand dollar paperweight. I guess this is a warning to folks who are buying a Win 10 ASUS machine.

BigJohnx13

Commendable
Jun 22, 2019
Remember, some graphic cards can only display video and not audio. Some can do both. Confirm first if you graphic card has the capability of taking the sound out via HDMI port

kahoona

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
BigJohnx13' Yes. I knew my sound was not in the video card but so many told me I was that I tried that too. I have mostly worked with the Audio with no luck however here is the kicker:LOL:My sound to the TV via HDMI has returned out of the blue last week and I think it coincided with an update. Windows taketh away and windows restores! Now if it will only return the microsoft store and the MyASUS control panel I will be doing fine.