No sound!

I am a teacher technologist in an elementary school and recently a business
donated ten computers to our computer lab. I installed Windows 98 operating
system in them as well as an office suite. They are Gateway computers. I am
unable to get any sound whatsoever out of them. I've tried some of the
suggestions that are posted but so far nothing works. If anyone has any
viable suggestions, please let me know!
--
lecurry

I don't know what you've tried, I see no previous posts from you.

Have you tried using Everest Home Edition (www.lavalys.com) to positively
identify the hardware?

Is there a Gateway model number on the outside of the case?

Are these "onboard" sound chips (part of the motherboard) or are they
plug-in (ISA or PCI) cards? If you don't know, describe the area around
where the speaker jacks plug in. Are the sockets surrounded by things like
the Serial and LPT ports?

If onboard sound, can you identify the motherboard model (can you see it
printed on the motherboard?) If not, look for the long BIOS number that
appears during POST (you may have to disable the Gateway splash screen in
order to do so.)

If they are plug-in sound cards, are you certain they're all the same? And
what make/model are they?

Report back with the results of the above investigations. The first task in
this case is to make sure you have the right drivers. We need the above info
in order to verify. Which brings up the question--did you install any
drivers? Sound devices, in Windows 9x systems, are usually not automatically
installed by Windows Setup. Not sound, not modem, nor NIC, usually.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"inquisitive1" <inquisitive1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am a teacher technologist in an elementary school and recently a business
> donated ten computers to our computer lab. I installed Windows 98
> operating
> system in them as well as an office suite. They are Gateway computers. I
> am
> unable to get any sound whatsoever out of them. I've tried some of the
> suggestions that are posted but so far nothing works. If anyone has any
> viable suggestions, please let me know!
> --
> lecurry

Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"inquisitive1" <inquisitive1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am a teacher technologist in an elementary school and recently a business
> donated ten computers to our computer lab. I installed Windows 98 operating
> system in them as well as an office suite. They are Gateway computers. I am
> unable to get any sound whatsoever out of them. I've tried some of the
> suggestions that are posted but so far nothing works. If anyone has any
> viable suggestions, please let me know!
> --
> lecurry

You don't mention whether these machines have integrated (onboard) or a PCI
sound card. If they have either, please let us know what you have tried,
make/model of machines and type of sound device.

Also let us know:
What shows in Device Manager under "Sound, video and Game controllers" for the
device and it's status.
If any unknown or other devices show in DM.

In Control Panel > Multimedia > Audio tab, what shows as the Preferred Device.
If your device is not set as the PD, can it be selected from the dropdown menu?

If you aren't sure of each machines sound device, download Everest Home (free)
to obtain information on each machine.
Everest (previously Aida32):

http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?lang=en

--

Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"inquisitive1" <inquisitive1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am a teacher technologist in an elementary school and recently a business
> donated ten computers to our computer lab. I installed Windows 98 operating
> system in them as well as an office suite. They are Gateway computers. I am
> unable to get any sound whatsoever out of them. I've tried some of the
> suggestions that are posted but so far nothing works. If anyone has any
> viable suggestions, please let me know!
> --
> lecurry

I'm sorry for the lack of info at first posting! I have a Gateway GP6-400. It
has an Intel Mount Prospect MP440Bx motherboard. The sound card seems to be
integrated. In Device Manager there is no "Sound, video and Game
controllers", but there is a Other Devices>PCI Multimedia Audio Device>PCI
Parallel Controller. The audio tab in Control Panel>Multimedia is
inactive...no preferred devices. When I access the Everest Home diagnostic
software, Multimedia....under Windows audio, there is nothing and under
PCI/PnP Audio: Creative SB PCI 128 (Ensoniq ES1371) Sound Card). I hope that
this info helps you to help me!
--
lecurry

"inquisitive1" wrote:

> I am a teacher technologist in an elementary school and recently a business
> donated ten computers to our computer lab. I installed Windows 98 operating
> system in them as well as an office suite. They are Gateway computers. I am
> unable to get any sound whatsoever out of them. I've tried some of the
> suggestions that are posted but so far nothing works. If anyone has any
> viable suggestions, please let me know!
> --
> lecurry

Well, unfortunately... I've done a drivers search and come up with nothing.
Gateway doesn't appear to have any drivers files that old available, and
looking for more generic drivers for the sound system hasn't had any
success, either.

If I were you, I'd try calling Gateway and asking if they can send you a
copy of the original drivers installation files. 800-211-4952 You definitely
need to right drivers for that sound chip--the Everest report shows that it
isn't installed. It's present, but the drivers haven't been installed. I
*think* that PCI Parallel Controller must be a plug-in printer port card (as
opposed to onboard LPT controller.) Not sure if you care about that one,
though, and I don't think the Gateway people can help with it (if it's truly
a PCI card, not an onboard chip.) You'd need to pull the card and identify
it more closely.

I wish I could help you more. It may be that I'm just not awake enough this
morning, but my searches thus far have been fruitless.

--

> I'm sorry for the lack of info at first posting! I have a Gateway GP6-400.
> It
> has an Intel Mount Prospect MP440Bx motherboard. The sound card seems to
> be
> integrated. In Device Manager there is no "Sound, video and Game
> controllers", but there is a Other Devices>PCI Multimedia Audio Device>PCI
> Parallel Controller. The audio tab in Control Panel>Multimedia is
> inactive...no preferred devices. When I access the Everest Home diagnostic
> software, Multimedia....under Windows audio, there is nothing and under
> PCI/PnP Audio: Creative SB PCI 128 (Ensoniq ES1371) Sound Card). I hope
> that
> this info helps you to help me!
> --
> lecurry
>

> "inquisitive1" wrote:
>
>> I am a teacher technologist in an elementary school and recently a
>> business
>> donated ten computers to our computer lab. I installed Windows 98
>> operating
>> system in them as well as an office suite. They are Gateway computers. I
>> am
>> unable to get any sound whatsoever out of them. I've tried some of the
>> suggestions that are posted but so far nothing works. If anyone has any
>> viable suggestions, please let me know!
>> --
>> lecurry

I'd go the way of Creatives site for drivers instead of Gateway or Intel.

For the Creative SB PCI 128 (Ensoniq ES1371) Sound Card), drivers can be
obtained here:
http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/download.asp?DriverLang=1033&searchString=es1371

If that link fails, start here:
http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/

Scroll down if needed and use the Search by file name or model.
Type in es1371 and click go.

The 440bx is an old board but if you wish you can search Intel's site on either
the board, processor or chip/s.
http://support.intel.com/support/index.htm?iid=HPAGE+header_support

or type in the search box at top left: 440bx or any other search term you may
think of.
Using 440bx gets 323 hits here:
http://search2.intel.com/corporate/default.aspx?culture=en-US&q=440bx

Gateways site has conflicting results. It shows the 1371 as a PCI64V and the
1373 as the PCI64D and PCI128D. Not to mention they are older than Creatives
available driver downloads.
http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/search.asp?ref=step&st=browse&platform=10021&model=10027&os=10398&type=10096

--

Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"inquisitive1" <inquisitive1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm sorry for the lack of info at first posting! I have a Gateway GP6-400. It
> has an Intel Mount Prospect MP440Bx motherboard. The sound card seems to be
> integrated. In Device Manager there is no "Sound, video and Game
> controllers", but there is a Other Devices>PCI Multimedia Audio Device>PCI
> Parallel Controller. The audio tab in Control Panel>Multimedia is
> inactive...no preferred devices. When I access the Everest Home diagnostic
> software, Multimedia....under Windows audio, there is nothing and under
> PCI/PnP Audio: Creative SB PCI 128 (Ensoniq ES1371) Sound Card). I hope that
> this info helps you to help me!
> --
> lecurry
>

> "inquisitive1" wrote:
>
>> I am a teacher technologist in an elementary school and recently a business
>> donated ten computers to our computer lab. I installed Windows 98 operating
>> system in them as well as an office suite. They are Gateway computers. I am
>> unable to get any sound whatsoever out of them. I've tried some of the
>> suggestions that are posted but so far nothing works. If anyone has any
>> viable suggestions, please let me know!
>> --
>> lecurry

Good work! I couldn't find that info and I spent half an hour, at least,
roaming around that very site.

Think I'm gonna put in for early retirement.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

> Good work! I couldn't find that info and I spent half an hour, at least,
> roaming around that very site.

20+ mins. longer than myself to copy/paste and type all 3.

> Think I'm gonna put in for early retirement.

Yeah right, like I haven't heard that before.
Follow through on that thought and you may not spend so much time on one site
search.<BSEG>

--

Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

You are tops in finding drivers, Brian A. You always were! Now that
Terhune has finally mellowed, do your best to dissuade him of retirement
& falling into earthquakes!

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
| "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
| > Good work! I couldn't find that info and I spent half an hour, at
least,
| > roaming around that very site.
|
| 20+ mins. longer than myself to copy/paste and type all 3.
|
| > Think I'm gonna put in for early retirement.
|
| Yeah right, like I haven't heard that before.
| Follow through on that thought and you may not spend so much time on
one site
| search.<BSEG>
|

| --
|
| Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
| Conflicts start where information lacks.
| http://basconotw.mvps.org/
|
| Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

MELLOWED!!!???!!!

Watch it, buddy!

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

> You are tops in finding drivers, Brian A. You always were! Now that
> Terhune has finally mellowed, do your best to dissuade him of retirement
> & falling into earthquakes!

>Now that
> Terhune has finally mellowed, do your best to dissuade him of retirement
> & falling into earthquakes!

No need to, I belive you have awoken the "sleeping" giant.

--

Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Well, anyhow, we all (I'm sure) DO hope that new spare tire (another
thread) keeps you from falling all the way in. It'll be less work for a
Poodle to pull you out by a toe! You are so nice these days we all (I
think) are SURE (almost) we never really wished it! (Earthquakes, I
mean.) Of course, it's hard to get Kelly's opinion.

--
| MELLOWED!!!???!!!
|
| Watch it, buddy!
|
| --
| Gary S. Terhune
| MS-MVP Shell/User

| > You are tops in finding drivers, Brian A. You always were! Now that
| > Terhune has finally mellowed, do your best to dissuade him of
retirement
| > & falling into earthquakes!

Huh?

--
| >Now that
| > Terhune has finally mellowed, do your best to dissuade him of
retirement
| > & falling into earthquakes!
|
| No need to, I belive you have awoken the "sleeping" giant.
|

| --
|
| Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
| Conflicts start where information lacks.
| http://basconotw.mvps.org/
|
| Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

I have been unable to obtain the needed info on the drivers. I guess they are
too old! Any suggestions for a cheap sound card?
--
lecurry

"PCR" wrote:

> Huh?
>

> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
> | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
> | >Now that
> | > Terhune has finally mellowed, do your best to dissuade him of
> retirement
> | > & falling into earthquakes!
> |
> | No need to, I belive you have awoken the "sleeping" giant.
> |

> | --
> |
> | Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> | Conflicts start where information lacks.
> | http://basconotw.mvps.org/
> |
> | Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> | How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

I'm not a sound guy, but try to stay with a mainstream product (the ones
that are "best sellers" at places like Buy.com.) That way, you're less
likely to have trouble finding drivers later.

Threads like this, when they get long in the tooth, tend to be ignored by
most people who aren't involved. I suggest you start a new thread that
specifically asks for suggestions on sound cards--you're sure to get lots of
replies, <s>. Just make sure whatever it is is not too bleeding edge--so
much that it won't work in Win98. My usual philosophy is to buy new hardware
at bleeding-edge-minus-one. In your case, look for something that is a bit
older and mainstream, and be *very* certain it will work OK in your system.
No stretching of minimum requirements allowed.

--

>I have been unable to obtain the needed info on the drivers. I guess they
>are
> too old! Any suggestions for a cheap sound card?
> --
> lecurry
>

> "PCR" wrote:
>
>> Huh?
>>

>> --
>> Thanks or Good Luck,
>> There may be humor in this post, and,
>> Naturally, you will not sue,
>> should things get worse after this,
>> PCR
>> pcrrcp@netzero.net
>> "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
>> | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
>> retirement
>> |
>> | No need to, I belive you have awoken the "sleeping" giant.
>> |

>> | --
>> |
>> | Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
>> | Conflicts start where information lacks.
>> | http://basconotw.mvps.org/
>> |
>> | Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>> | How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

Truly, I defer to Brian A. & Terhune, who I'm sure will come out of
retirement if there or climb out of an earthquake even. Nevertheless...

What exactly happened to cause you to say "I have been unable to obtain
the needed info on the drivers"?

Here is basically all I know of audio, except you may also look at a
list of audio devices/drivers in Device Manager. If you go that way,
BETTER be sure of what you've got now, so that you may change back to
it. To see what you've got now...

(a) "Control Panel, System, Device Manager tab, Sound Video & Game
Controllers branch".
(b) D-Clk the devices under it, each in turn, for Properties.
(c) Click the Driver tab, & then click the "Update Driver button".
(d) Bolt "Display a list..", & click "Next".
What shows up in the "Models" box?
(e) Finally, bolt "Show all hardware".
What is lit up in both the left & right panes?

That is what is currently installed & active. If you choose others from
the left/right panes (& click "Next"), it will constitute an uninstall
of the old & an install of the new. Well, here is all I know...

With the computer off, un/re-plug all audio wires.

Well, try "START, Run, CDPLAYER". It is simpler than, for instance, WMP.
If you get sound there, then it's a setting in WMP, or whatever, at
fault.

(1) Is the sound muted? D-Clk the speaker icon in the Tray to see. If no
speaker is there, then "START button, Settings, Control Panel,
Multimedia", & check the box for it at bottom.

(2) "Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Windows Setup tab, Multimedia,
Volume Control". If it is shown as installed (checked), then uncheck it,
OK your way out, & even perhaps reboot. Then, do it all again, but this
time CHECK it.

(3) In my case, the volume control appears to be part of my audio
drivers...

When I do the following procedure, I am asked to supply drivers during
boot. I bypass the request, & end up with none. Then, I run an .exe
downloaded from Compaq, which puts them back in. Or, I go to a folder &
click a Setup.exe in there, when I want the older drivers.

The point is-- YOU may have to do it that way too. So, prepare.

(a) Boot to Safe Mode. (Enable Startup Menu at "START, Run, MSConfig,
Advanced button.)
(b) "Control Panel, System, Device Manager tab".
(c) Open the "Sound, video & game controllers" branch, & delete all
devices under it. This is meant to eliminate "ghosts" of drivers past,
which are invisible in Normal Mode.
(d) Reboot to Normal Mode.
(e) Install your Sound Drivers, if they haven't automatically been
detected.

(4) If you are sure of Audio drivers you may have downloaded, that you
do have a method to reinstall them, then consider...

(a) "Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Install/Uninstall tab"
(b) If your Audio driver is mentioned there, uninstall it before
installing the new.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
"inquisitive1" <inquisitive1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| I have been unable to obtain the needed info on the drivers. I guess
they are
| too old! Any suggestions for a cheap sound card?
| --
| lecurry
|

| "PCR" wrote:
|
| > Huh?
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
| > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
| > retirement
| > |
| > | No need to, I belive you have awoken the "sleeping" giant.
| > |
| > |
| > | --
| > |
| > | Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
| > | Conflicts start where information lacks.
| > | http://basconotw.mvps.org/
| > |
| > | Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| > | How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
| > |
| > |
| > |

This Sound card should do you well. I just installed one in an older MSI mobo
which has the Intel 440bx chip.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829117105