[SOLVED] No storage detected/working in BIOS - five different devices

phyxfire

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2014
TLDR: All storage drives, including a newly-bought SATA and newly-bought NVMe SSD, either do not show up or I am unable to install Windows on them. What's happening???

One day I was playing Elden Ring, when my game suddenly froze and bluescreened with a memory management error.
When I restarted the computer, it automatically booted into BIOS, now showing that both of my 2TB NVMe SSDs were not detected. No matter how many times I restarted it, the issue persisted. I tried taking them out and putting them back again, but it didn't work.
I took my computer to the local Micro Center for a diagnosis, and they weren't very helpful. They basically repeated back to me what I thought the issues were, which I thought at the time was my drives or a faulty motherboard.
The SSDs seemed to work just fine on my laptop through an external SSD reader though. I tried formatting my boot drive and reinserting it into my desktop, no luck. Still not visible.
My non-boot drive wouldn't let me partition, format, or install Windows on it either.
After more checking, I got comfortable enough to throw some new parts at the problem.
Anyways, I just replaced my motherboard yesterday with a brand new Gigabyte Aorus board and installed TWO new SSDs, an NVMe Crucial and a SATA WD. The Crucial is invisible in the new BIOS, and the SATA WD is visible but cannot install Windows, error code 0x800701B1pops up.
At this point, I'm pretty clueless as to what the issue could be. It's clear that the Motherboard probably isn't the root of the issue, and it's not the drives because even the brand new ones refuse to work. Does anyone have any ideas??

Setup is:
Ryzen 5 5600x
Asus B550 I Strix and Gigabyte Aorus ITX B550
GTX 1080Ti
Corsair 650 PSU
Oloy 16Gb RAM
2x Adata SSDs

Lutfij

Titan
Disconnect all drives from your system apart from the one you intend to install the OS on. As for your BIOS for the board, which version are you on for your Gigabyte board? Assuming that's the board you're on at the moment and not on the Asus board.

Where did you source the installer for the OS?

phyxfire

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2014
Disconnect all drives from your system apart from the one you intend to install the OS on. As for your BIOS for the board, which version are you on for your Gigabyte board? Assuming that's the board you're on at the moment and not on the Asus board.

Where did you source the installer for the OS?
The installer is sourced from my Windows 10 laptop, and the Gigabyte board has revision 1.3's default ship BIOS. I did update my Asus board to the latest update, it unfortunately did not make a difference. I'll report back about disconnecting the other drives once I have a free moment to give it a try.

Lutfij

Titan
Gigabyte Aorus ITX B550
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550I-AORUS-PRO-AX-10
Is this your motherboard?
If so;
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550I-AORUS-PRO-AX-10/support#support-dl-bios
There's an F13 but no mention of a BIOS version 1.3.

The installer is sourced from my Windows 10 laptop
You mean you got an installer with your laptop? You can easily create your own installer using Windows Media Creation Tools, to rule out a corrupt installer.

Please stick to one board instead of alternating between the two. I asked about your Gigabyte board thinking that's the board you're on now. If you're on the Asus board, then mention the BIOS version as opposed to saying latest. Most people on the forums say latest only to learn they have BIOS updates pending.

phyxfire

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2014
Gigabyte Aorus ITX B550
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550I-AORUS-PRO-AX-10
Is this your motherboard?
If so;
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550I-AORUS-PRO-AX-10/support#support-dl-bios
There's an F13 but no mention of a BIOS version 1.3.

The installer is sourced from my Windows 10 laptop
You mean you got an installer with your laptop? You can easily create your own installer using Windows Media Creation Tools, to rule out a corrupt installer.

Please stick to one board instead of alternating between the two. I asked about your Gigabyte board thinking that's the board you're on now. If you're on the Asus board, then mention the BIOS version as opposed to saying latest. Most people on the forums say latest only to learn they have BIOS updates pending.
Sure, what I meant is that the physical motherboard is revision 1.3.

I just checked the BIOS version and it is version FB from 6/08/2023.

I also took out all drives besides the SATA, now the SATA drive is not showing up in BIOS either.

I still have the Gigabyte board in the PC, I was just saying that the issues persisted from my updated Asus board. Which is why I think it has to be something besides the motherboard causing my issues.

Oh yes, the Windows install was created using that tool from my windows 10 laptop.

Last edited:
Sure, what I meant is that the physical motherboard is revision 1.3.

I just checked the BIOS version and it is version FB from 6/08/2023.

I also took out all drives besides the SATA, now the SATA drive is not showing up in BIOS either.

I still have the Gigabyte board in the PC, I was just saying that the issues persisted from my updated Asus board. Which is why I think it has to be something besides the motherboard causing my issues.

Oh yes, the Windows install was created using that tool from my windows 10 laptop.

update the bios version to the latest version pretty sure that one is to old.

also are you using the crucial nvme ? to install windows on

phyxfire

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2014
update the bios version to the latest version pretty sure that one is to old.

also are you using the crucial nvme ? to install windows on
I'm using the WD Blue SATA drive.

Ok so I updated to the latest Gigabyte BIOS, version FE. Still no juice, the SATA drive won't appear... I even double checked the SATA connection to make sure it is plugged in all the way.

I'm legitimately confounded about what the issue could be.

I'm using the WD Blue SATA drive.

Ok so I updated to the latest Gigabyte BIOS, version FE. Still no juice, the SATA drive won't appear... I even double checked the SATA connection to make sure it is plugged in all the way.

I'm legitimately confounded about what the issue could be.

for the sata drive did you make sure the power cable for sata is plugged in all the way.

sata cable is data cable running from the motherboard to the drive
then there is the sata power cable to power supply

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61tmqKq3wVL.jpg

phyxfire

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2014
Do not use modular cables from a different PSU. Use ONLY original modular cables.
Modular PSU cables are not compatible between different PSU models.
With wrong cables you can kill/damage hardware connected.
Thanks for the tip. I left most of my leftover PC build cords at my parent's house in 2020 so I'll order some new ones from Corsair.

phyxfire

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2014
In case anyone finds this thread, I was able to fix the issue and finally install and boot Windows by putting in a new CPU. Swapping my motherboard, RAM, and SSDs did nothing. I'll be contacting AMD about an RMA.