Question No video output (fans spin, led indicators showing things are fines) on workstation newly build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 20, 2022
Hello, if this isn't the correct category, please point me to the correct sub. Thank you!

That said

I've recently build a workstation with the following specs:

Motherboard: SUPERMICRO MBD-X12DAI-N6-O Extended ATX Server Motherboard LGA 4189 Intel C621A

CPU: 2x Intel Xeon Gold 6326

Ram: 256GB Kit (8 x 32GB) DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 ECC Registered Server Memory by NEMIX RAM

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2 80+ TITANIUM, 1600W ECO Mode Fully Modular NVIDIA SLI and Crossfire Ready

GPU: NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000

Storage: 2tb ssd m2 + 8tb hdd

I tried out the troubleshooting list (https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...deo-output-troubleshooting-checklist.1285536/) but none seem works

If you need any more info or context I'll gladly give any

Thank you very much to whoever ends up responding!

DavidM012

Distinguished
This your mobo?

https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/motherboard/x12dai-n6

2 things I can think of immediately

1) Swap Video card with a different one see if it's that - sometimes handy to have a low powered basic gpu around.
2)Memory compatibility : There's only 2 types of ddr4 32gb dimm on the tested list

MEM-DR432MD-ER32 32GB DDR4-3200 2Rx8 (16Gb) RDIMM N 16Gb 2 Low
MEM-DR432LC-ER32 32GB DDR4-3200 2Rx4 RDIMM N - 1 Low Profile B

Because 'no video' in the manual says check memory compatibility. If you could read the exact part number of your memory perhaps someone could figure out if it 'should be compatible'. Also a visual of the dimms might be useful.

1. If the power is on, but you have no video, remove all add-on cards and cables. 2. Remove all memory modules and turn on the system (if the alarm is on, check the specs of memory modules, reset the memory or try a different one).

(from the troubleshooting section of the manual.).

So if you remove all memory modules you should get a 'no memory detected beep code'.

You can then try to start with only 1 memory module installed. It probably has a dimm socket that must be populated so refer to manual for that. How to install memory.

If it doesn't issue a beep code with no memory present... some other problem? In the realms of not working properly.

So doing all you can is to make sure it's properly assembled. eg. the manual says, make sure no supporting standoffs are shorting the mobo anywhere.

Reactions: ViteD
Sep 20, 2022
H
This your mobo?

https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/motherboard/x12dai-n6

2 things I can think of immediately

1) Swap Video card with a different one see if it's that - sometimes handy to have a low powered basic gpu around.
2)Memory compatibility : There's only 2 types of ddr4 32gb dimm on the tested list

MEM-DR432MD-ER32 32GB DDR4-3200 2Rx8 (16Gb) RDIMM N 16Gb 2 Low
MEM-DR432LC-ER32 32GB DDR4-3200 2Rx4 RDIMM N - 1 Low Profile B

Because 'no video' in the manual says check memory compatibility. If you could read the exact part number of your memory perhaps someone could figure out if it 'should be compatible'. Also a visual of the dimms might be useful.

1. If the power is on, but you have no video, remove all add-on cards and cables. 2. Remove all memory modules and turn on the system (if the alarm is on, check the specs of memory modules, reset the memory or try a different one).

(from the troubleshooting section of the manual.).

So if you remove all memory modules you should get a 'no memory detected beep code'.

You can then try to start with only 1 memory module installed. It probably has a dimm socket that must be populated so refer to manual for that. How to install memory.

If it doesn't issue a beep code with no memory present... some other problem? In the realms of not working properly.

So doing all you can is to make sure it's properly assembled. eg. the manual says, make sure no supporting standoffs are shorting the mobo anywhere.

Hi DavidM012,

Thank you for the reply!

https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/motherboard/x12dai-n6 => yes it is my mobo.

I tried the GPU card (Quadro RTX 4000) on another mobo, and it works just fine. Should I still need to try another GPU on the non-working mobo?

The memory part number is: MR25600 - 324 (RDIMM)

I tried to remove all the RAM, but I don't have a beep code speaker so I don't know which codes are given (I will buy one now and let you know what is the beep sounds like). Also, I did try to install 1 memory module with 1 CPU, and 2 memory modules with 2 CPUs (followed the manual to popular the memory).

Ah also, I used a 24-pin extension to longer my 24pin cable so it can reach my motherboard => maybe this is also a problem. I will try to not use this tomorrow.

" make sure no supporting standoffs are shorting the mobo anywhere". So if a mobo is shorted, can it be turned on (fans spin, led indicators are green)? I doesn't know how this work so I haven't checked out if the standoffs are the issue yet.

Thank you so much!

DavidM012

Distinguished
If you're sure the quadro's tested working I think it's fine. Yes try without the extension power cable and with the speaker.

You'll have to visually inspect the board and backplate for any standoffs in the wrong place, any loose screws. A mobo can survive a short, act weird or go phut or wind up disabled.

It seems quite possible that the memory is incompatible since supermicro makes no representations about the memory that's even on the list which is their own brand.

NOTE: Supermicro lists these memory modules as a convenience to its general customer base. Supermicro does not make any representations or warranties whatsoever regarding quality, reliability, functionality or compatibility of these memory modules. Further, Supermicro is not obligated to provide any support, installation, or other assistance with regard to these devices. It is recommended that the customer base confirm with the vendor compatibility and revision level of these devices.

So did you buy these dimms on the recommendation of anyone, or a vendor?

sku 324 this look like it?

Looks like it's server RAM. Only compatible with dell.

Found a non-ecc variant that is also sku 324

This could be the source of the confusion...

COMPATIBILITY Servers from Dell, HP/HPE, Lenovo, Supermicro, Cisco and other major manufacturers.

So it looks like the non-ecc version Nemix reckons is compatible with Supermicro.

Nathkrul

Notable
Sep 22, 2022
Hello, if this isn't the correct category, please point me to the correct sub. Thank you!

That said

I've recently build a workstation with the following specs:

Motherboard: SUPERMICRO MBD-X12DAI-N6-O Extended ATX Server Motherboard LGA 4189 Intel C621A

CPU: 2x Intel Xeon Gold 6326

Ram: 256GB Kit (8 x 32GB) DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 ECC Registered Server Memory by NEMIX RAM

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2 80+ TITANIUM, 1600W ECO Mode Fully Modular NVIDIA SLI and Crossfire Ready

GPU: NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000

Storage: 2tb ssd m2 + 8tb hdd

I tried out the troubleshooting list (https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...deo-output-troubleshooting-checklist.1285536/) but none seem works

If you need any more info or context I'll gladly give any

Thank you very much to whoever ends up responding!
Joined just to let you know that them 2 zeons need to be torqued down and if theyre not tight enough then the cpu's wont make contact correctly and of course you'll have loads of fun, but fingers crossed theyre seated just fine and dandy.

Also, any chance you can send a picture from above of board :)

Sep 20, 2022
If you're sure the quadro's tested working I think it's fine. Yes try without the extension power cable and with the speaker.

You'll have to visually inspect the board and backplate for any standoffs in the wrong place, any loose screws. A mobo can survive a short, act weird or go phut or wind up disabled.

It seems quite possible that the memory is incompatible since supermicro makes no representations about the memory that's even on the list which is their own brand.

NOTE: Supermicro lists these memory modules as a convenience to its general customer base. Supermicro does not make any representations or warranties whatsoever regarding quality, reliability, functionality or compatibility of these memory modules. Further, Supermicro is not obligated to provide any support, installation, or other assistance with regard to these devices. It is recommended that the customer base confirm with the vendor compatibility and revision level of these devices.

sku 324 this look like it?

Looks like it's server RAM. Only compatible with dell.

Found a non-ecc variant that is also sku 324

This could be the source of the confusion...

COMPATIBILITY Servers from Dell, HP/HPE, Lenovo, Supermicro, Cisco and other major manufacturers.

So it looks like the non-ecc version Nemix reckons is compatible with Supermicro.
No, I just buy the pack myself.

Oh yeah the memory compatible should be the issue, I will order the listed dimms to try again and let you know the result. Thank you so much!

Yes my RAM version is the one that only compatible with the DELL server since it is the ECC version.

Sep 20, 2022
Joined just to let you know that them 2 zeons need to be torqued down and if theyre not tight enough then the cpu's wont make contact correctly and of course you'll have loads of fun, but fingers crossed theyre seated just fine and dandy.

Also, any chance you can send a picture from above of board :)

Thanks for the recommendations. I did make sure that they are tight enough.
Sure here is the link to the mobo: https://www.dropbox.com/s/uqjdubhzoqsr1x6/20220922_190657.jpg?dl=0
Thank you!

Reactions: Nathkrul

DavidM012

Distinguished
How goes the battle? You've got the right idea with the coolers and 3 fans, nice, however I just noticed that you are actually missing a standoff in the center of the board.

I think you should address that even though it means undoing the entire assembly and mobo and starting over because it's right in the middle where you're going to be plugging ram and gpu's and I think it will need the support especially since it's a larger than typical mobo.

Please also refrain from anything else horrifying or non-compliant with standards.

Sep 20, 2022
I'm still waiting for the RAM. I bought an internal speaker and a motherboard analyzer kit for testing, butut they weren't working. So I will need to wait for the new RAM to know if the other RAM is the issue.

There is missing a standoff in the center of the board because if I install it, the board's holes won't fit into other standoffs. Should I put something else here in the center?

Thank you!

DavidM012

Distinguished
Yes absolutely some plastic support beneath those two holes are a must because the least place you want to flex the board is in the middle. The fan is overhanging the second hole somewhat so you can't hardly see it in the photo. But it is there.

You can get some standoffs that are made from plastic with a flat bottom so you don't have to screw them in. Well you can either ask around some PC shop that might have a bunch of spares and hopefully pay only pennies for them. Weird thing about odd parts you never know what they're called. Just plastic motherboard standoffs... then for a supermicro workstation board. Probably most people will scratch their heads and say 'eh?'.

You're sure the speaker isn't working?

My understanding of speakers these days are they are only 2 wires on a 4 pin header... how could something so simple be not working? Get another one from a PC shop. You definitely want to follow the procedure of the manual and hear the beep code when no memory is installed. That tells you the mobo is working.

Motherboard testing kit? Never needed one. Can you post a link to what it is? Not sure what it's meant to do, OK test motherboards... so you plug it in to a pci-e slot and it's supposed to blink some l.e.d's or something? It should have some instructions anyway.

Last edited:

DavidM012

Distinguished
Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022
https://www.bestbyte.net/atx-motherboard-standoff-support-spacer-flat-bottom.html

Atx spacer standoff support.

Well dual socket mobos are technically extended atx. So who knows if.... atx and extended atx standoffs are compatible? Probably. Should be.

Well I guess that's been bought second hand. If you'd had a new one you'd have a packet of assorted nik-naks with some spacers probably.
Just install my new RAM, but it doesn't work also. I don't know what to do anymore so I think I will bring it to a store.

DavidM012

Distinguished
What I was asking you to do was start the system without any dimms in it to check it beeps.

You said the speaker wasn't working... is it the right way around? There's only 2 wires so it can only go one way or the other. Have you tried the speaker in another machine to check if in fact it does or does not work?

So just to be sure are you saying it does not beep at all with no dimms installed?

This would suggest that the board simply isn't working for some reason.

I would expect the board to beep with no memory present.

So... something else you can try is just to clear the cmos of the board. Power off and remove the coin battery for 30 seconds and place it back in. The manual says to power off you should disconnect the power cord.

However the first thing you need to address is the standoffs in the middle of the board. You don't want it to flex in the middle when you're installing dimms. Don't know how much of it the board can take. It isn't the kind of flex-atx we want.

I would then question the source of the board: Where did you get it, who gave it to you, did you buy it new or second hand?

2 CPUs & 8 DIMMs (Note) CPU1: P1-DIMMA1/P1-DIMME1/P1-DIMMC1/P1-DIMMG1
CPU2: P2-DIMMA1/P2-DIMME1/P2-DIMMC1/P2-DIMMG1

Well the memory population table is a bit cryptic. You have to refer to page 8 of the manual to install the dimms in the right sockets.

It would be greatly preferable if you would install the Missing Standoffs before you attempt any more dimm installations.

Another possible... the power supply isn't the right type for it.

Your best bet is more likely asking supermicro for advice directly.

Sep 20, 2022
What I was asking you to do was start the system without any dimms in it to check it beeps.

You said the speaker wasn't working... is it the right way around? There's only 2 wires so it can only go one way or the other. Have you tried the speaker in another machine to check if in fact it does or does not work?

So just to be sure are you saying it does not beep at all with no dimms installed?

So... something else you can try is just to clear the cmos of the board. Power off and remove the coin battery for 30 seconds and place it back in. The manual says to power off you should disconnect the power cord.

However the first thing you need to address is the standoffs in the middle of the board. You don't want it to flex in the middle when you're installing dimms. Don't know how much of it the board can take. It isn't the kind of flex-atx we want.

I would then question the source of the board: Where did you get it, who gave it to you, did you buy it new or second hand?

Well the memory population table is a bit cryptic. You have to refer to page 8 of the manual to install the dimms in the right sockets.

It would be greatly preferable if you would install the Missing Standoffs before you attempt any more dimm installations.

Hi,

I sent and got the workstation back from a PC fixing store but they can't find out what is the issue also. I'm trying to return stuffs back.

Sep 20, 2022

Yeah the store also contacted supermicro, but all supermicro did was confirming that parts are compatilble with the board.

DavidM012

Distinguished
Did you install the plastic spacer standoffs in the middle of the board yet? Try clearing cmos? Can you chase up where you purchased the board from? Did they do anything else at all at the shop? Inspect the sockets for misaligned pins?

Install the dimms in the correct slots according to the manual? Every detail in order? Is there a reconditioning (repair) service available for the mobo?

Nobody can simply wish it to work.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022
Did you install the plastic spacer standoffs in the middle of the board yet? Try clearing cmos? Can you chase up where you purchased the board from? Did they do anything else at all at the shop? Inspect the sockets for misaligned pins?

Install the dimms in the correct slots according to the manual? Every detail in order? Is there a reconditioning (repair) service available for the mobo?

Nobody can simply wish it to work.

I tried to do clear the cmos and installed the standoffs, but still no output. Then, I just brought the PC to the store for diagnosing.
Yeah they said they tried everything (including testing the board outside of the case to make sure there was no shorted) , it took them like 4 days.
I bought the board and the CPUs from https://www.provantage.com (I bought from the site because they were quick to ship out the mobo hopefully I can get the items to return tho)
For the later RAMs, I bought them directly from Supermicro.

DavidM012

Distinguished
Well I'm surprised nobody's talked about supermicro power supplies since it's a dual socket board and more server class than desktop class. Not strictly ruling out a power supply compatibility question unless I hear it from the horse's mouth. However you can hopefully rma the board and maybe the vendor can enlighten you. Pages of obscure documentation aren't really talking and one does not have much of a luxury in obtaining and testing expensive hardware. If only someone knew.

Well one way around the problem might to be simply ask Supermicro what power supply they recommend for the board.

Simply taking the board outside the case doesn't impress me much: One should be able to see fairly easily to determine that there are not standoffs in the wrong position shorting anything. Anyway hold on to those plastic standoffs hope you've got a few since you'll need to re-use them with another board if you get one.

Besides that it would need an electronics expert with a multi-meter to detect any deeper problems with the board itself. Can they even get a schematic and diagnose any problems? And it would of course cost more money to pay someone to do that when nobody's really certain what the problem is. The problem is too much inexperience here.

Could also be one of the cpus not working? Did they try with only one or the other cpu installed in each socket? Unfortunately you didn't really see what happened in those 4 days which isn't all that informative. That's why taking to a shop doesn't really help.

4 days to switch a couple of cpu's, inspect the standoffs, put the dimms in the right sockets sounds like it was in a queue on the shelf in the workshop most of the time.

DavidM012

Distinguished
Also 2 weird things I just noticed:

1. There are no youtubes of anyone using this board
  2. The manual states:
Warning: To avoid damaging the power supply or the motherboard, be sure to use a power supply that contains a 24-pin and three 8-pin power connectors. Be sure to connect the power supplies to the 24-pin power connector (JPWR3), and the 8-pin power connectors (JPWR1/2/4) on the motherboard. Failure in doing so may void the manufacturer warranty on your power supply and motherboard.

Should have 3 eps connectors.

User's board photo

Supermicro board photo

Manual diagram

There is no JPWR 4 eps connector. Only a space with 8 solder points on it. I can't imagine what undocumented non-features and instructions of the board can or can't do. What does it mean? JPWR 1,2 Or 4? But 1+1=2 and 1+2=3 and 1+2+4=7 but should mean 3 eps connectors? If the manual insists there should be 3 why do only 2 physically exist?

There is no spoon. X-files theme.

Status
Not open for further replies.