Question No video signal after years of working fine

acoustikarl

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
I have a Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 motherboard and was using a GTX 970 GPU . The video just stopped one day when I booted up the computer. It looked like the fans weren't working right (kind of a stutter start/stop) so I upgraded to a Radeon RX 6650 XT card but still no signal. The monitors work fine. I am using a AMD FX-8320 3.5 GHz 8-Core Processor. I got the motherboard in 2015 and the latest BIOS is form 2014 but I am unsure if it is the current one I am using. My next step is to flash the BIOS. I downloaded the BIOS from the Asus web site but when I unpacked it there was no BIOSRenamer with it. Will I need to rename it? And to what? Or can I get a separate BIOSRenamer to do it automatically?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Cant use bios flash back function as it's not supported on that board. Unless there's a way to flash on a working system without a display? I wouldn't know. These are the boards that do.

If display stopped working all of a sudden then don't over think it. It wouldn't have anything to do with bios since it worked previously so it's gotta be hardware.

Try another pcie slot. If trying another slot doesn't give a display then it could be motherboard has faulted or cpu. Possibly psu related, check connections or try other cables if psu came with spares. Never mix psu modular cables, only use cables psu comes with. Pinouts don't follow industry standards so using other brand's and often different models from same brand can cause damage.

Last edited:

acoustikarl

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
So I tried using both cards in the other slot with no results. Other info I forgot about; I was playing Quern on Steam recently and it overheated the CPU to the point that it shut down the computer. The CPU was running in the mid 40s before and this game shot it up to 80+. The next couple times I played it I tried keeping a watch on the temp and only played for about 20 minutes or so. Be that as it may, it still managed to shut down the computer again. I haven't played it since. Could this have damaged the CPU or motherboard to the point that it would affect the video signal or PSU?

The 970 uses two cords with 6 connectors each from the power supply and the 6650 uses just one but 8 connectors. If that makes sense.