'No Wifi Networks Available'

lawrencejkparsons

Reputable
Feb 3, 2018
I’m having trouble connecting to wifi on my new desktop. It constantly says that there are ‘no wifi networks available’.

I know that there is a wifi signal available where I am, several in fact, because on my laptop (positioned right next to my desk) I pick up between seven and twelve signals depending on the day. I also get wifi on my phone and my iPod, even when sitting under my desk where the tower is (I tested it thinking that the wood might be blocking the signal somehow).

I’m currently accessing the internet on my desktop via an ethernet cable connected to my laptop. This is, obviously, very inconvenient since it means my laptop must stay on and I am unable to remove it.

My network adapter is the Qualcomm Atheros AR5007G Wireless Network Adapter. I'm running Windows 10.

I bought this desktop second hand from a guy who I think custom built it, so I really wouldn’t know what to look up to find more details like what the motherboard is, etc. I’m happy to admit that I’m really just a casual user, so my apologies in advance if I end up being ‘hard to help’.

From the googling I've done, most people seem to say this is probably an issue with the driver for the adapter. However, I've gone through the driver update process in the device manager about six times, with no successes.

I have tried:

• ■ Restarting my modem (waiting thirty seconds before turning it on again)
    ■ Restarting my computer (many times)
    ■ Ensuring my IPV 4 is set to ‘automatically acquire an IP address’
    ■ Uninstalling my wifi adapter's driver from device manager and restarting my computer so it re acquires the default drivers.
    ■ Manually adding my wifi through the 'manually connect to a wireless network' option under set up a connection or network.
    ■ Updating the driver from the device manager (it says the most up to date driver is installed.)

Update:

I don't know what the brand name is, I had assumed it was Qualcomm. Again, I don't know much about wireless network adapters. I had hoped to avoid having to pay for a new adapter, but if I have to, I guess I just have to. Will buy a new one and see if that fixes the issues.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Solution
Device manager wont update everything. Does it say it's working in device manager?

If it has never worked replace it. Does this wireless adapter have a brand name?

TRENDING THREADS